Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Helping a friend ask a question

Hatake asked me to post this on bullshido as she wants your opinions on this matter (she tried registering for an account herself but is met with several problem which are currently being solved by the staff here behind the scenes):

I am an eighteen turning nineteen year old female who is 5"5 (165cm) tall and weighs 55kg. I have 0.00 martial arts experience before but would like to start learning boxing now as I my university lecture ends at 7:30pm and I need to walk, by myself each night in the dark, for ten to fifteen minutes to the nearest bus stop. In reality, I know the best option when encoutering a shady person is to run or hand them my cash but if that fails to work I do not wish to become a sitting duck...

I have two options in terms of gyms I can go to. They are as followed. I will really appreciate the comments made by any members here as the decision I make now will most likely affect some part of my future...

a) $25 a month
    - Professional boxing gym
    -Forty five minutes drive away.
    -Lessons are from 4-5pm.
    -I can go three times per week.
    -Coach is experienced (amateur national champion, won all of his professional matches- admittingly, he only had like 3-4 pro fights but STILL)
    -Teaches well (he has several well known pro boxers under his banner who have been to the OLYMPICS and try out for WORLD TITLES)
    -No girls in the gym. All guys.
    -Atmosphere is the typical old style boxing gym that you may see in movies. Lots of pushing from the coach whether if its warm ups, pad/bag work and sparring is hardcore. People there are polite and don't get into the way much but not excatly friendly...it becomes pretty obvious ten minutes into the class that they are here to train and thats that. The atmosphere is almost a little intimidating if you get what I mean.
    -Access to fully equipped gym with weights and bags from 10pm-7pm on Mon-Fri and 8am-12pm on Saturday.

b) $8 a month
    -College gym.
    -Thirty five minutes away.
    -Lessons from 6:15-7:30pm.
    -I can go two times per week.
    -Coach is qualified but nothing special.
    -There are amateur boxers in the gym but no pro boxers.
    -The amateur boxers only have decent records.
    -There are a couple of female members.
    -Gym has a nice atmosphere to it where you get the feeling when you walk out of class that you have not only learnt some skills (however basic they may be) but may also have met a new friend...
    -Access to gym (same facilities as the one above) for two hours before each class starts and an hour after it ends.

If you were me, which one would you go to? The one with the better instruction that is further away and more expensive or the one with the friendly atmosphere but average teaching?

Thanks

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally advises her to go to B (AFTERALL, I TRAIN THERE)....any other opinions?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whichever she chooses it will be 3-5 years before she has any usable skills, so its basically a coin toss in terms of applicability.

The real deal clinchers are cost and fitting around current schedule.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is she the type of person whom would be more willing to go if she had a friend with her?
    How intimidated would she be by going to a "pro quality" gym, by herself, being the lone female?

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would boxing even be useful, necessarily, for the context of the long walk to the bus?

She should pop in to both, try them out, see what happens, if she is committed to learning boxing. Of she can start with B and if she really takes to the sport and "grows out" of that gym, then move to A.

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Is she the type of person whom would be more willing to go if she had a friend with her?
    How intimidated would she be by going to a "pro quality" gym, by herself, being the lone female?
    Yes for the first question. However, none of us really wants to travel that far (especially not me...the place she thinks of visiting is almost two hours one way!)

Depends on the gym itself I think. Are these gyms usually welcoming? (I have never been to one, obviously)

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Would boxing even be useful, necessarily, for the context of the long walk to the bus?

She should pop in to both, try them out, see what happens, if she is committed to learning boxing. Of she can start with B and if she really takes to the sport and "grows out" of that gym, then move to A.
    She already had two trial sessions at each apparantly and still could not decide.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Yes for the first question. However, none of us really wants to travel that far (especially not me...the place she thinks of visiting is almost two hours one way!)
    Then I would second this opinion:
    Of she can start with B and if she really takes to the sport and "grows out" of that gym, then move to A.
    The second sounds like a good comfortable start and if she decides she wants to turn pro, she (both?) could transfer gyms if needed.

Depends on the gym itself I think. Are these gyms usually welcoming? (I have never been to one, obviously)
    Over time, they are. Often you will have a core of people, regardless of what and where you are training, whom will be welcoming as it is in their personality. Conversely, you will have a group of people whom figure they will never see you after the first/second/third time and ignore you. Also, you will have people there to train and not make friends and are more concerned with working their stuff than help you work yours.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say college gym. Since there are other girls that train there she might be able to make friends and get really into boxing that way.

Style
    Judo, baby! Yeah!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thirding this opinion.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last