Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 7:35pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There's no escaping TMA

Okay, folks, I wanna float what seems like a reasonable statement.

(donning hazmat suit)

The automatic correlation of TMA and Bullshido... is in fact a sign of imminent Bullshido, or at least a fair level of confusion.

:deadhorse

Now, why is Happycrow setting himself up to get burninated?

Let's look at what's what... first, we had martial arts traditions. In Asia, all kinds of asian schools. In Europe, some old fencing schools and bunch of fighting that turned into sports that didn't do the nastier techniques while in the ring... b/c let's face it, it's really hard for Jimmy to be a bricklayer with broken fingers and a dislocated elbow.

Fast-forward to the mid-late 20th century. Bruce Lee says "these guys' systems don't work, let's break the classical forms." (Ignore the Hollywood show-pony factor for purposes of the present discussion.) Just like the TKD players now. Sure, I know a couple guys who can kick you into next week with TKD's one meaningful attack -- the side kick. But not unless he catches you in an ambush. Yours truly has gone rounds with an Olympic-team TKD guy and either won or played even, depending on who you talked to (it was friendly, so I had to pull my three-in-a-row beng chuan to the face... he didn't even realize what was happening) and while I generally suck, it's public knowledge that TKD's kicks are so inefficient I can't even brag on the fight around anybody who has a clue. The tradition's good only as exercise and as a sport, and no amount of athleticism will save it.

So JKD became all the rage.

Then people realized that JKD technique-wise stands for "a dog from every county," which is fine if you're a really advanced guy who'se gotten to the point where he comes up with "spontaneous technique" (aka, Q: "wtf was that? How'd you do that?! A: "got me, I just did it."), but really stinks when you're a rank amateur trying not to get his head handed to him on a plate. So a bunch of guys hooked up JKD ideas to Filipino stuff. Instant boom and vast credibility improvement, not to mention a big uptake in folks playing the filipino game.

Then there was the ninja craze. And God wept.

Then there was the RSBD boom. And God puked, and then wept.

Finally enter UFC and the rise of MMA, which stands in total opposition to those unworkable TMA.

All of which, because so many of the traditional martial arts out there had become divorced from their rough-sport or "hurting people (wholesale/retail)" foundations. Folks who could kick ass and take names were justifiably sick of hearing a bunch of crap from guys who talked the talk, but couldn't even LIMP the walk, and their nutso groupies (or like Glenn Morris, who founded hoshinjutsu and croaked this spring. The dude was a nutcase, and he had a lot of weird ideas, but he really was a respectable fighter, who could snap an arm-bar on you and introduce your teeth to the floor in nothing flat... top-rank? Nuh-uh, not even close. Respectable? Definitely... in stark contrast to 90% of his students, most of whom anybody reading this thread can tear through like a 7.62 through toilet paper).

At which God chuckled, because, guess what? The guys who are any good influence people, sell tapes, and/or get students. And the guys who suck go nowhere, and get laughed at.

And that's how traditions begin. If I tell you that I train with Omega, and Omega says "yeah, Happycrow's okay," then folks are going to take me more seriously than if I'm just some schmuck, and MUCH differently than if Omega says "I don't know who that farktard is..." And if word gets out that I've trained for years with Bas Rutten or that my wrestling coach got regularly "stretched out" by some troll like Gotch, then folks are much, much more likely to give me the benefit of the doubt in a borderline case. So right now, if I say I do mixed martial arts, people don't look at me and say "okay, which are you mixing, and, um, why?" Instead, they wonder why the f**k I didn't just abbreviate it.

If I have an immediate rough understanding of what you look like fighting based on a three-letter acronym, guess what, Spanky? You're in a tradition!

And even though it's relatively informal, you can see this in action all across the fighting world... guys who wouldn't dream of saying "I do a traditional martial art," just as you can see the difference between a military guy trained to handle a knife in the Korean era (block with the arm, stab for the heart, rinse and repeat), vs. one trained nowadays (reverse grip, etc).

Got a boxer reading this? Got one worth his salt? Tell him there's no difference between boxers from England and boxers from Mexico. Laugh in his face and tell him there's no technical differences between Dempsey's boxing and Tyson's. But, hey, before you do, can I have your stereo? :5eek:

It's a meaningful divide, insofar as the MMA world is designed with a particular pressure-cooker designed to sort the wheat from the chaff. But the conventions of said pressure cooker are just that, and those conventions become standardized over time, with relatively minor variations...

and another word for that, is "tradition."

After all, imagine how different MMA would be, or, hell, ANY martial art would be, if the conventions weren't a choice between Octogon, Cage, or Ring, and then (almost) anything goes, but Looziana swamp, Utah Salt Flats, or Rocky Mountain Cliff Face. Or, better yet, just to get the better RSBD and Executive Protection guys to cheeze themselves in glee, Junk Yard, High-end Retail, and On a Boat.

Because BS is BS.
    Okay, flame on.
    Last edited by Happycrow; 6/27/2006 7:48pm at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wtf?
    Mr. Happycrow, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF is with these manifesto's of late. There were so many fallacies and inconsistencies in your statements, I barely made it through the entire page.

:deadhorse

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a good point in there and I really want to find it, but you are not helping me.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, exactly, is your point here? That MMA will become traditional given time? So fucking what! Traditional =/= suck. Judo is traditional. It may not be called such, but it's certainly verifiably older and more standardized than 90% of those arts claiming to be traditional. Greco-Roman wrestling is fucking old, but still kicks ass. The deciding factor between suckitude and viability is alive competition. Competition is the shear that prunes the branches of Bullshido. As long as MMA remains a competitive art, it will remain relatively bullshido-free.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Wtf?
    Mr. Happycrow, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    at least he won the cook-off
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically all arts evolve.
    The same art is different in different countries.
    Sport VS. The street.
    Then some **** about being more respected if Omega vouches for him.

After reading that **** I would make fun of him even if he does train with OMEGA.

Omega can't stop his students from being idiots.

Fighting Skill=/=Intelligence in the real world. FS=I only works in the RPG genre or larping(hopefull I'm using it right this time:5censored).

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not seeing the overall flow of your thoughts....you are making a point of how TMA's are outdated by modern conventions, but then at the end comment how concepts like MMA are now becoming standardized hence creating new "traditions?"

If that's your point, there's a big difference between a tradition for the sake of tradition despite knowing it doesn't do anything good for you, as compared to a tradition that was formulated out of practicality.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really should have outlined this before you started writing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast