232280 Bullies, 4052 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 143
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 10:21am

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    The Cut and Thrust of the Thing: Fencing Questions

    After making at least one visit to pretty much every training hall within a fifty mile radius, I have finally decided to train at a place called The Jack of Swords.

    Here is their website: http://www.thejackofswords.com

    I have decided upon the Spanish Rapier since, according to what I have read, the Rapier is the most realistic of the "fencing weapons" (i.e. foil, sabre, epee) besides the sabre.

    There are two other styles and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the Italian, Spanish, and French styles of Rapier swordplay.
  2. wagamichi is offline
    wagamichi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 10:24am


     Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could tell you but then i would have to kill you. I love rapier and dager fencing.
  3. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 10:30am

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    I could tell you but then i would have to kill you. I love rapier and dager fencing.
    Ah!

    What style did you study?
    Can you give me any suggestions on finding practice blades?

    (Sorry I can't reply sooner, but I have a dental appointment at 11:00. Be back soon!)
  4. wagamichi is offline
    wagamichi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 12:09pm


     Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was italian. So much racial bigotry with a lot of these groups... I think it is amusing that it is realy about the same ****. That link you gave looked good. Be wary of being sold olympic style fencing with a dull rapier blade.

    I only did it for about a year back when i was in pre-kicked out of collage. I also would warn you that...Even though they all claim that this is the un-changed historic methode used in the rennesance bla bla bla... It is some dudes interpretation of manuals and writtings from the rennesance. I know i am going to get blasted for sying that. But show me a vid of a 17century sword deuel. Yea.

    Fencing is all that is really left. A good swordsman with a knack for understanding the historic texts, the manuals and drawings, and that understands the dynamics of the weapon can come up with what i belive to be a fully functioning, Mostly historicly accurate interpretaion of period methods. My point is...do not worry about where they say it came from or what method they say it is...or how it was handed down father to son bla bla bla...just find a school that teaches logical and practical sword skills...Then buy a really cool cane sword!


    As far as practice blades for rapier fencing.

    The video Blow By Blow Guide to Sword Fighting in The Renaissance, Will show you how to turn a standerd epee blade into a usable faux rapier for training.
    Last edited by wagamichi; 6/19/2006 12:15pm at .
  5. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 1:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    It was italian. So much racial bigotry with a lot of these groups... I think it is amusing that it is realy about the same ****. That link you gave looked good. Be wary of being sold olympic style fencing with a dull rapier blade.

    I only did it for about a year back when i was in pre-kicked out of collage. I also would warn you that...Even though they all claim that this is the un-changed historic methode used in the rennesance bla bla bla... It is some dudes interpretation of manuals and writtings from the rennesance. I know i am going to get blasted for sying that. But show me a vid of a 17century sword deuel. Yea.

    Fencing is all that is really left. A good swordsman with a knack for understanding the historic texts, the manuals and drawings, and that understands the dynamics of the weapon can come up with what i belive to be a fully functioning, Mostly historicly accurate interpretaion of period methods. My point is...do not worry about where they say it came from or what method they say it is...or how it was handed down father to son bla bla bla...just find a school that teaches logical and practical sword skills...Then buy a really cool cane sword!


    As far as practice blades for rapier fencing.

    The video Blow By Blow Guide to Sword Fighting in The Renaissance, Will show you how to turn a standerd epee blade into a usable faux rapier for training.
    I have been reading several histories of the art, and they say that the Italian school was the best. The french nobles mostly employed italian teachers and their system most likely derives from italian. The spanish style, unfortunately the only one that I have time to take, was basicly the ____ng ___un of the rapier world. The guy that created it basically derived his principles from geometry, and practitioners were asked to envision a sphere around them, the blade was supposed to pass over predetermined lines on the sphere. Everyone made fun of it, but there was another style that sprang up ignoring that fools text entirely.

    Rapier and Dagger sounds fun, but I would probably prefer Cloak and Rapier.

    The idea of weighing down my opponants sword before I strike is cool, and having one hand covered so I can use it to block seems nice too.

    Would you mind posting a pic of your blade?

    If you do, I will post a pic of the one that I intend to buy.
  6. jonathan_sicari is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    125

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 1:14pm


     Style: not training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Armory?

    Jonathan
  7. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 1:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a discussion about the differences between fencing STYLES, Jon, not a discussion about firearms or the quality of steel in weapons, therefore it deserves to be here.
  8. jonathan_sicari is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    125

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 1:21pm


     Style: not training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh! Sorry, thought armory was for everthing weapons related... Of course I should be sleeping to go back to work tonight, not surfing the web. I plead exhaustion.

    Jonathan
  9. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 1:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sicari
    Ahhh! Sorry, thought armory was for everthing weapons related... Of course I should be sleeping to go back to work tonight, not surfing the web. I plead exhaustion.

    Jonathan
    S' groovy.

    Typically, since Kendo and Kumdo are regular topics and are considered styles of martial arts, I think fencing (at least with the Rapier) deserves similar billing.
  10. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,176

    Posted On:
    6/19/2006 3:23pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fought Sabre in my college fencing club. Sabre was the only one that seemed "realistic" enough to be worth studying. It was fun and because of it I can whip ass on most of my friends when anyone picks up a stick but I eventually went to Muay Thai instead.

    I don't have much to say except I'd try to do Sabre. I wish I could get an old poster to answer you. Ronin69 where art thou.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.