Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 8:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane
    I've always been taught that the katana was a sidearm and the modern forms of kenjutsu were maily products of the Tokugawa era, where there was much less wearing of armor and more dueling.

The typical katana would chip and bend if struck against armor, even the supposedly "big cutters" of the 14th and 15th centuries, like my shobu. I know I'd never use it on anything harder than green bamboo.

I learned the same thing. The weapon of choice Pre Tokugawa was the Yari.

I am not sure what year Jigen Ryu was created. But what you said makes sense.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong
    That first one is one of the funniest things I've ever seen! What the hell was itg?

The side caption said it was to build up strength and spirit whilst practicing proper cuts. Proper cuts? I'm no swordsman... but wasnt that more "Woman with rolling pin experiencing massive PMS" than "Proper cutting"???
    Pick up a bokken, go to Japan and challenge them. Then when you get out of the hospital tell us what you think.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's not going to prove a damn thing about cutting technique - just that they know how to beat the **** out of him with a bokken. they've clearly got their bludgeoning skills down.

which is infinitely more useful than sword work, anyway.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    that's not going to prove a damn thing about cutting technique - just that they know how to beat the **** out of him with a bokken. they've clearly got their bludgeoning skills down.

which is infinitely more useful than sword work, anyway.

If I remember I story of Musahi, that he couldn't cut your down, he just beat the hell out of you with a sword. So there are merits of just beating the **** out of someone with a razor sharp piece of metal.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 1:35pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They had proper cutting technique. If I can be allowed to speculate, they probably don't start out with suburi like that. They probably train in a much more restrained fashioned to learn the mechanics, and this type of training is added at a later date.

The mechanics of using the Japanese sword are such that a ferocious attack like that might be effective, if not at killing your opponent then forcing him to use his sword to parry or block the strikes. The Japanese sword cannot stand up to much edge-to-edge contact because of the way it is forged.
    --
    L.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

Had to watch the videos a few times until I realized those fighters were not simple clowns.
    Now, I wonder, apart from making one strong and hard, what are the technical aspects of this Jigen Ryu?

Saw a more technique-focused video on youtube, but with the performers there being Westerners, I am not sure it was a proper representation.

Thanks,

Rafe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You better have more than that to add if you're going to bring back a thread that's been dead for a year and a half.

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 10:31am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I tried to look at the first clip in all seriousness, but the second dude in the row... I mean, ****, he needs to learn how scream. His screaming reminded me of one of my sisters when she was 12. He needs to develop some deep bass or something :tongue6:
    He sounded more like the first girl I layed......

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 1:00pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Jigen-ryu was one of the schools practiced by Satsuma samurai and was thus briefly used to chop the crap out of Okinawans. It's a major influence on Okinawan martial arts, as post-occupation it was studied by Okinawa's military castes. Sokon Matsumura learned it and there's even an Okinawan folk dance called Jigen-ryu Bo-Odori, which is supposed to be derived from Satsuma military drill. So there is in fact a Jigen-ryu/karate connection of some kind.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 2:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikantski
    You better have more than that to add if you're going to bring back a thread that's been dead for a year and a half.
    Like what...? :5propelle Boobies? Free beer? :ohyea7qh:

Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    The Jigen-ryu was one of the schools practiced by Satsuma samurai and was thus briefly used to chop the crap out of Okinawans. It's a major influence on Okinawan martial arts, as post-occupation it was studied by Okinawa's military castes. Sokon Matsumura learned it and there's even an Okinawan folk dance called Jigen-ryu Bo-Odori, which is supposed to be derived from Satsuma military drill. So there is in fact a Jigen-ryu/karate connection of some kind.
    Very interesting...
    I like their way to do the kiai, but really, if they do that in training all the time,
    I'd get crazy...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast