Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai in Albany NY

I'm looking to replace "aikido" in my style field with a good striking art. Phone book and google not much help. I know some of you are quite good at finding schools anywhere. Does it exist around here?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Thai Boxing Association of the USA lists three schools in New York: Progressive Martial Arts in Fresh Meadows, Coban's Muay Thai in New York City, and Nubreed Martial Arts in Whitestone. I know nothing about New York geography, so I don't know if any of those are anywhere near Albany.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad to see you leaving that school of yours ukemi. They might also have a Kyokushin school where you live. Muay Thai is really expensive. Where I live it's $125 a month.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Although none of them are close enough for me to train at. I might have to do boxing, but I want that mean round kick, damnit.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I'm glad to see you leaving that school of yours ukemi. They might also have a Kyokushin school where you live. Muay Thai is really expensive. Where I live it's $125 a month.

I've picked up what I need from there. I'd like to be doing more sparring now outside of what we do in BJJ. That's my only real gripe with the aikido school, no sparring.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you live near any of these places?
    http://www.kyokushinkarate.com/contact/docs/contact.htm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who name their name after their style or a certain aspect of it regret it later.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope. Albany is a good 3 hours from NYC. I go down to the city occasionally if Renzo is teaching a class at his academy, but it's too far to drive for consistant training.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I have no clue about the geography of New York.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    People who name their name after their style or a certain aspect of it regret it later.

That aspect of aikido has probably been the most valuable thing I have picked up from it. It comes in handy a lot when I have to spar with guys who are good wrestlers or judoka. In fact, if I never trained aikido, I would have probably been injured by now in BJJ since our group almost always starts from stand-up and some of those guys can slam you pretty good. We've had to call the ambulance twice so far from injuries resulting from a hard takedown.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last