Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone familiar with the H20 gym in Montréal?

I'm a noob here and not sure if this is exactly the right place to (re)ask this question, so feel free to move this thread.

I will be moving to Montréal next year, and I plan on taking up MMA when I get there. From what I've seen, the best place to do this seems to be the H20 gym ( http://h2oma.com ). Is there anyone here who trains/has trained there? Of course, I plan on checking out the various gyms in person once I get there, but in the meantime I'd love to hear comments from people who are familiar with the place.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Hachiman; 6/17/2006 11:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 12:40am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't heard of them, but they look like they're worth checking out. There is a troubling lack of affiliation/certification information on the webpage. It's always important to know whether they've been deemed qualified to teach by recognized authorities. There's a pretty impressive list of respectable names that at least one of their instructors has trained under, but it doesn't say anything about certification. I've trained with some pretty well-known, well-respected names too, but that doesn't mean I'm qualified to run my own gym. I'm definitely not.

So that's something you're going to want to ask them about, but if they're worth their salt, they'll be very forthcoming with that information.

But, certification issues aside, my general impression of the web page is that they're on the up-and-up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 11:46am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well when it comes to mma, theres gamma, and tristar also that might be worth checking out.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 1:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts
    There is a troubling lack of affiliation/certification information on the webpage. It's always important to know whether they've been deemed qualified to teach by recognized authorities.....

But, certification issues aside, my general impression of the web page is that they're on the up-and-up.
    You know it's **** like that which started the whole Mcdojo/bullshido era.

Posted On:
    6/19/2006 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ThaiBoxerShorts, you bring up a good point : I'll make sure to ask about that.

MartialArtsNoob, thanks for reminding me about the Tristar gym : I don't know how the hell I managed to forget about that place! George "Rush" St-Pierre and David "The Crow" Loiseau trained there, and the Vale Tudo class looks fantastic.

Well so far there's 3 MA schools worth checking out in Montréal (that I know of) :

-H2O ( www.h2oma.com ),
    -GAMMA : Académie d'Arts Martiaux Culturelle de Montréal ( www.montrealmartialarts.com ),
    -Tristar Gym ( www.tristargym.com ).

GAMMA has BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing (plus FMA, Dog Brothers style apparently), but unfortunately they don't seem to have an MMA class that combines it all in one complete package.

Well, if anyone knows about these places, or other good MMA gyms in Montréal, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    Last edited by Hachiman; 6/19/2006 11:10am at .