I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 10:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like ok light sparring.

More like a sparring drill to incorporat take downs with striking.

Is that as hard as you guys go?

Still a bajillion times better than all other BJK vids I have seen.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will like to point out that it would be retarded for someone to go full power sparring without head gear...............By bitching about the strength with which they are hitting when there is obviously no head gear, it shows that people do not know what the **** they are talking about.

The sparring is not perfect, but there is a huge step being taken forward for most martial arts.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i guess if you compare it to most martial arts then yeah... most martial arts schools are shockingly bad though. kind of a double edged compliment.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi
    Here are 2 of my students sparring from a couple of weeks ago (More to come) No elbows to the head
    1 student is a 1st Kyu (4yrs) the younger one
    needs to work striking.
    Has competed in some BJJ and submission wrestling tournaments
    done 1 or 2 classes of Muay Thai
    and the other is a 4th Kyu (3 yrs)
    Enjoy and rip away
    http://www.taijutsu.com/san_andre.html
    For some reason Youtube would not take my .mov so I had to make a flash file.
    This is definitely miles above anything the Bujinkan does. Awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 2:58am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Koto Ryu. Also, Koto Ryu, your signature picture kicks ass. I ended up referring a friend who is going into the Marines later this year to this website just to see your sig pic.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 9:41am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi
    Not really sure on that one, but not that many sessions. San (younger one) for the longest time focused on BJJ (When we had the BJJ teacher) and the kata classes. Andre basics(kata), weapons, sparring class and now both are starting training in Muay Thai.
    Okay Here is what I see.

Fear of getting hit. If they just started sparring I can understand.

Worrying about where the attack is coming from. There are to many variables kicks, punches, sweeps, takedowns, throws, and on an on. In sparring, the best fighter in the world is going to get hit. Suck it up realize this and go at it. Still have strategies and techniques you want to work on of course. Realize, the best way to weed out useless techniques is through contact.

Over thinking what they are going to attempt. This is why I hate Kata. I enjoy Kata as an exrecise and for memory of techniques. I do not spar Kata. The guy with his arm out reminded me of people I sparred thinking about small joint techniques from a kata.

Entry techniques. Jabs, short kicks push kicks etc. You can learn all the throws in the world if you can't get inside or make contact, they are useless. Same with all the dreaded Chin-na, aiki techniques and small joint manipulation. You have to learn basic jabs and such before you can pull off the more complicated techniques.

More aggression Aggression gets a bad name. Dive in take a chance on getting hit or submitted. Go ahead and fail at a technique, this is the only way to get better. Go to work with a bruised eye and ego. Now you said they have been trained to be defensive. It looks like you have told them to spar using specific Taijutsu techniques. If you are, you need to let the Taijutsu stay out of sparring. You can clean up there strikes but try not to hamstring the spontaneity by giving them specifics.

At least you are headed in the right direction.

My old school went the opposite direction. People started crying about how it doesn't look like kung fu. My favorite was always it looks like kick boxing. Well, the stances and techniques in your video remind me of people worried about this critique.

Do what works then, build up to the complicated techniques.

I did Hwa Rang Do before the Tae Soo Do crap was added. Many of the techniques we learned, in the 2 years I was there, were defensive We sparred but got owned by the higher belts because we were missing something very important. Then entry techniques.

I would restructure your whole class IMO. Find out what people want and teach them the proper way.

Now, if teaching is your income I can understand your reluctance.
    No one has said it but I will. It took me a while to accept it when I quit teaching. You aren't doing BJK or Taijutsu any type of service.

You are doing MT to help fix things in Taijutsu. So, you'll have modified MT/Taijutsu kicks or striking ability. I'll assume you were learning BJJ with the same instructor as your student. Well, now you are doing Taijutsu/BJJ modified techniques.

There is nothing wrong with teaching what you know. Hell, take a look at Omega and Asia, just do it on your own. This is coming from an instructor that spent 12 years listening and then teaching Bullshido.

Sorry for the long post.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 9:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I respect what Shin is trying to do^^. I tried to do it in my art and gave up. So, I sent this to him in a PM yesterday. He wanted me to post it on the thread.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    well i guess if you compare it to most martial arts then yeah... most martial arts schools are shockingly bad though. kind of a double edged compliment.
    I commonly view Muay Thai as a martial art that makes a science out of getting hit and hitting others. If the 2 in that video add MT to their training, they'll get over little things like fear of getting kicked in the face. :icon_geek

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 10:58am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    I commonly view Muay Thai as a martial art that makes a science out of getting hit and hitting others. If the 2 in that video add MT to their training, they'll get over little things like fear of getting kicked in the face. :icon_geek
    And THAT is what I'm saying. Just not in a nice way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 1:28pm

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendamu
    And it's that kind of training Nagato did that makes me want to think that with the new "attitude" Hatsumi has apparently taken since mid-May that more people like him will start emerging from the Bujinkan.

Please explain.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast