What a surprise.

Paul Genge

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 5:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul,

I would appreciate it if you lost the attitude - especially to the others on the site - as I was the only one who said I would be able to come.

As it turned out, I simply did not have the time or the means to come over. I was unable to get off work and as I am in the process of beginning/moving into university, I can't afford any trips to england for the weekend. The 'penniless student' stereotype is quite an accurate one, as it is only the kindness of my family in providing me with financial assistance that I will be able to afford it at all.

My apologies for not informing you. I honestly would have liked to have come - as you will notice, I never said a bad word or was disrespectful in any way about Systema. I am simply curious and would have greatly enjoyed attending the seminar and sparring. Hopefully there will be another opportunity when I am in a better position to take advantage of it.

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry man, its not your fault. I think its way too much to ask anyone to fly (expensive!) overseas just to attend a seminar. Still, much respect to you for trying to see what Systema is really like, instead of just making up opinions about it and believing it as fact.

Hopefully you will get another chance one day? :icon_smil

peace

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 6:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love too - and if there are any Systema folk in NI, I would LOVE to hear from them, and it would be extremely easy to set up a meet. As i'm now at Queen's I'm sure I could arrange access to the mats in the university gym for us to use, and I would be happy to travel to meet someone.

Welcome to the board btw! I'm assuming you were directed at us by Paul or Rob seeing as how this is your first post and it's in this thread and you do Systema?

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 6:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks mate (^^) Haha actually I'm not really sure who they are (no offence intended to those guys). I assume they also do Systema? I was doing some research on Systema and SAMBO for my uni project and then came across bullshido by accident :p

I was just surprised at how everyone seems to hate it but after reading some of the Systema websites I could understand why. I'm worried there might be too many Mcdojo's on Systema but ya, I'm still trying to catch up on everything so I can't really comment on anything yet.

Yep, I have been doing Systema for 8 months now and enjoying it (all the way in South Africa haha). I won't really comment on other martial arts as I have no other experience (except that yellow bamboo thing...thats just funny).

you do BJJ? Thats also a cool MA, will probably try it at some later stage

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 9:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema/JKD/Submission

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Genge
    No one showed up.....

What a surprise.

Paul Genge
    Paul, there is one main problem that is giving a negative perception of Systema, and it's people like Kungfoolss who talk **** about something they really don't know much about. Unfortunately, some other people will take their word for it without thorough investigation. I was skeptical about Systema at first as well, but there was things about it that intrigued me to, so I went and gave it a shot. I then saw, felt and learned first hand what Systema is about.

There are some aspects that I still feel unsure about, but mostly if I was in a situation of being up against a skilled fighter who wants a good ol' fashioned one on one and not the street scenerios that I am more or less training for anyways.

But, I keep my mind open and obsorb other things. I love the Gracies and think Royce is definately one of the greatest of all time. But I don't think that means BJJ is better than Systema in all ways. My favourite fighter from the old UFC's is Taktarov #1, Abbot #2 and Benetuea #3. I have an exstensive video collection that includes SCARS, Erik Paulson, Split Second Survival, Senshido, Krav Maga, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and more on top of my great Systema collection. I always like to try stuff that I get from these other sources with the people who I train with.

My Systema instructor says openly all the time: 80% of the time it's the fighter. Not the style, they could be off the street and just have that will.

That said, I watched Omega's fight. No disrespect to Omega, but it reminded me of that big guy Atila from the movie Lionheart with Van Dam. It looks like you took some mad licks. Actually, I hope you don't kick my ass one day for saying this Omega, but your fight didn't look that great. I mean, you still kick ass, but I think a lot has to do with the fact that your just one tough mother fucker. You can take punches/kicks, and I'm sure you can give them hard as well. But why did you get hit so much?

And most MMA people are tough mofos. The thing is, that a lot of people who train Systema are tough as **** as well, but many are not. Why? Well they simply don't train every single day, if at all outside of their twice per week classes. They are average everyday people of various shapes, sizes, weights, strengths weakness, etc. and work various jobs, are retired, etc. The average MMA guy is probably a pro/amature fighter, who is conditioned, fights in the ring, etc. and these guys could probably kick the average Systema practitioners ass in a one-on-one controlled fight. A street fight with unpredictable conditions and no rules, a different story.

I am willing to bet if you take the guys/girls who train MMA just as self-defense, the ones who do twice or three times a week, and match them up with the Systema practitioners of the same caliber, you would have a different story. I bet you could even bend the rules in favour of the MMA people and let them have their cage conditions, and the Systema practitioners would do just fine.

As for Kungfoolss, the guy is just rude. It's really sad that people like him exist in the MA world. If I had judged SCARS just on the 3 videos alone that I own, and not with an open mind, and I was an asshole, I could say similiar things about that style that Kungfoolss says about stuff he dislikes.

In fact, I should say Peterson's video "Power Balance Training" is one of the worst videos I have ever seen (not that the training itself is bad, just the video) in terms of being a lousy rip off video (thankfully, I did not pay for it). "Autokenetic Responses" and the one depicting combinations (can't remeber the name right now) is better and worth watching. Actually, some of the approaches are not unlike Systema, but I doubt Kungfoolss would realize this because he/she hasn't made the investigation.

I started submission fighting this weekend as a supplment to my training, and I wrestled/played with one of the guys there who happens to be a more experienced fighter than me. I was able to hold my own in both stand up and on the ground. In fact, before Systema I was downright closterphobic(sp?) about being on the ground with someone on on top, especially a bigger guy. Systema did even more than just cure that, I learned to deal with a PILE of big motherfuckers on top of me. I learned proper breathing, relaxation and movement. In fact, I would say the breathing excercises and techniques alone have made my life better.

I could go on and on, but unfortunately I am speaking to a lot of def ears. But if anyone in Toronto wants to come out and meet, PM me. I am looking for friendly meet-ups for sparring and absorbing ideas and techniques. I am a level 1 of Systema, but also a small not in such good shape guy who mainly trains for personal defense. I am not a big, atheletic, professional fighter. I don't expect to beat anyone in sport fights (though I did challenge a neo-nazi publically once online and he backed down).

Anyways, end of rant. :toothy5:

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose

I will probably be going regardless but I just wanted to know if it would prove to the members of Bullshido that systema is not BS if I am defeated by a systema practitioner.
    Nope, it would just mean you're inept and life at that point wouldn't be worth living.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    I'm assuming you mean video? Yeah naturally, would be a bit insane to go to all the trouble of going over to england and sparring some systema practitioners without getting any video evidence, considering the ethos of this site!
    I wouldn't concern yourself with that, as RobP stated, he always video tapes the "doubters."
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobP
    ttt offer is still open
    Are you spamming or are you just a retard?

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Genge
    No one showed up.....

What a surprise.

Paul Genge
    Why would they need to when they can just laugh at goofs such as yourself featured on youtube Officer Genge?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast