Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 12:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SE UK Bullshido-ers : Systema seminar

Hi guys, as some of you may have noticed in the recent systema thread RobP has mentioned there will be a systema seminar in cambridgeshire 16-17 september. It's looking very likely I'll be able to attend and I'm hoping to bring at least one other from NI. RobP mentioned we'll be able to ask questions and hopefully spar with some of the instructors. This should hopefully end any questions over systema's effectiveness.

I have a few things to ask -

1. Are any other UK Bullshido-ers able/interested in attending?

2. What sort of questions would you like answered of the instructors?

3. As per the sparring itself - as indicated in my profile I have several years experience of Wing Tzun (under a competent instructor), several years of Judo, and a small amount of MMA (mainly wrestling/BJJ) and BJJ experience. I have no doubt I could easily beat someone who is not at least competent in striking or grappling, and have done so on several occasions, so I feel that if a systema practitioner is capable of defeating me using systema, that would at least prove it is not a useless system. Am I right in thinking this or is my ability/experience too little to prove anything if i lose? Certainly if I win it would not be very impressive for systema practitioners.

I will probably be going regardless but I just wanted to know if it would prove to the members of Bullshido that systema is not BS if I am defeated by a systema practitioner.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 10:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see some techniques that we would recognize as Systema. I don't want to see another WC style triumph where an armbar is the deciding technique.

The problem is that won't be up to you. I have no doubt the OG russians in the system will be able to whip ass. I just doubt the effectiveness of the loose techniques we keep seeing demonstrated in the hands of one of their trainees.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 1:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since when is Cambridgeshire south-east???
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 4:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I'd like to see some techniques that we would recognize as Systema. I don't want to see another WC style triumph where an armbar is the deciding technique.

The problem is that won't be up to you. I have no doubt the OG russians in the system will be able to whip ass. I just doubt the effectiveness of the loose techniques we keep seeing demonstrated in the hands of one of their trainees.
    Gotcha. If I lose to a better kickboxer/grappler, Bullshido still wins, right?

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 4:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    Since when is Cambridgeshire south-east???
    Looked south-east to me on the map :P

I dont know mate, I live in NI, i know **** all about GB except where london is :P

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be interested in hearing what goes on... Any chance of recording the event as a .Wav and posting it up here?

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming you mean video? Yeah naturally, would be a bit insane to go to all the trouble of going over to england and sparring some systema practitioners without getting any video evidence, considering the ethos of this site!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 11:37am

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK..let me join in.
    There will be relatively few, if any OG Russians there at the seminar...even if you and Vlad trade off...well, hes OG to the max.

On the sther side of the coin...if you trade with a relative newbie...and bust em up....this proves little to me, personally.

I would like to be fair about this question of systemas effectiveness...and anyone who can look into my few posts here....will see exactly what I am....just someone who has been around decades in 'all of this'...and had previous training...but chose to concentrate on systema.

Das Moose....I would suggest a few things about this visit. First...I HOPE that there will be more from your area, from this site; that will attend. I think that the recent thread starter has yet to reach em.

Hopefully, there will be more.

Second, I would suggest you seek out the mid levels or certifed instructors, there should be quite a strong presence of em there...and just tell them - during a break - what you offer...and OFFER a chance to meet offsides and record some work together.

Understand, and respect, that RobP might not allow free recording - for whatever reasons - its pretty common in all seminars. Seminar throwers have varied reasons ranging between trying to get exclusive footage to defray the cost of any seminar...ALL seminar hosts have to consider this. OR - sometimes a camera interfers with certain legalites - some folks wont sign releases, other **** like that..so I suggest:

Talk to Rob Poyton...and tell him you would like to publickly post some footage - and agree that this can be offsides...maybe a break..lunchtime...after the seminar.
    A seminar givers responsability is to those that come to study....THATS what they paid for. BUT - I fully believe that RobP can find someone for you to trade with...and record it with their full permission.

I feel your offer is good for the questions about systema.....a healthy thing.
    You meet, agree and 'do the work'...believe me - if that hapens, much of the postings by fools will pass away...and although whoever trades with ya...you both will become freinds and better exponets of martial studies.

And if ya get that vid?
    POST IT!

I applaude your desire to investigate openly - THATS what this site SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT!

Not words, not opinions...experience.

The effectiveness of ANY martial method of self protection MUST be face to face and hands on.

THATS how the arts have evolved and grown since time began.

Be willing to send a fist and take one...and trade off.

I feel you can find at least a few willing to do so at this seminar.....choose a person with relative time in study....and trade.

D.Moose - the spirit of putting your ass on the line is one I, personally; very much respect - if that means anything at all to you.

Most probably not...but it is respected, none the less.

GO! Do the seminar and find RobP - tell him the truth and he will be cool with that.

BTW - not all who speak pa-russkie are OG!

Seek your answers..very laudable!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 2:18pm

Style: Systema/ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For any serious martial artists, There is a seminar taking place in london with Vlads brother, Valentin Vasilev. This is a guy that I would seriously recommend watching/ or training with. Please find details below:

Valentin will be in London for a workshop Saturday 24th June 12.30 - 5.30pm

Venue is Alan Hearn Hall

Wanstead Leisure Centre

Redbridge Lane West
    Wanstead
    London E11 2JZ

http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/services....cfm/1982/show

Fee 40, payable on the door

If you need more details please see http://www.systemalondon.com/events.htm

If you've not seen Valentin before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVEhW5tZ7yA

Dont be fooled by the bullshit on here, this is a guy well worth training with, despite your style or background. For the record, well done das Moose, at least you are prepared to travel and have a go, see what it is all about?
    In my humble opinion, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It 's not about the style, its about the martial artist. Anybody with any experience will realize this. Hope to see you and other people there.

Posted On:
    6/18/2006 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rob - I appreciate that very much. I agree with you that this is what the site should be about - testing out any claims we have problems with in a respectful, but effective manner. Theres no need (and no point) for pages and pages of posts which prove nothing. Hopefully something useful for the members of Bullshido will come out of this - regardless it'll still be great fun for me!

Also I didnt really have any intention of videoing anything other than sparring (either between myself and systema practitioners or amongst themselves) so no worries on that front.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast