Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    Hey, I just checked out the Nolabjj site, and Kristian from the ultimate fighter is the head instructor. Nice.

I wish my school focused more on rolling. THe classes aren't super long, but usually only about 25-35% of the class is rolling, the other % is drilling and learning techniques. THen again, I roll for about 2.5 minutes and then I'm completely gassed.

Also, how long did it take you guys to get stripes? I've been training for about 6 months, I have 0 stripes, and yet on saturday I caught a blue belt in a beautiful triangle and tapped him out. Am I due, or am I still a total Rook?

OK, the blue belt was only promoted 3 weeks ago, but it counts damnit !!
    Bwahahahahahaaaa.

Oh ****. Awesome.

Tapped a new blue and wants a stripe. Would you settle for a cookie?

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 10:18am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    **** getting stripes. Work on getting better.
    Agreed! Belts are nice, but wisdom is better by far.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 10:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    Hey, I just checked out the Nolabjj site, and Kristian from the ultimate fighter is the head instructor. Nice.

I wish my school focused more on rolling. THe classes aren't super long, but usually only about 25-35% of the class is rolling, the other % is drilling and learning techniques. THen again, I roll for about 2.5 minutes and then I'm completely gassed.

Also, how long did it take you guys to get stripes? I've been training for about 6 months, I have 0 stripes, and yet on saturday I caught a blue belt in a beautiful triangle and tapped him out. Am I due, or am I still a total Rook?

OK, the blue belt was only promoted 3 weeks ago, but it counts damnit !!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    **** getting stripes. Work on getting better.
    Dude, you just pwned by a boxer.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 10:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SRSLY

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiare_Pac
    My first lesson was similiar and while we were rolling towards the end of class i kept thinking to myself after tapping mutliple times and generally being dominated, what has wing tsun seriously taught me why doesn't the deadly anti-grapple work.

It was a reality check, and now i regret the last couple of years that i have wasted in wing tsun.
    I feel the same way about time wasted in WC (~4 years). The bad part (and the best part by far) about grappling is that it's hard, takes dedication, and you can't fake it (except at my WC club, we actually did "dead pattern"/compliant drilling grappling after UFC 1, no **** LOL)

The beauty of my WC club was that us intermediate / advanced sashes could tell ourselves, "if I wasn't pulling these, this guy would go down" with no evidence to support it except our agreement with each other that this was surely the case.

I find myself frustrated and dejected a lot more with BJJ and Judo, but at least when you nail something you know it worked and you know you could do it again against a real opponent. I got my ass handed to me, but stepping onto the mat at a competition completed my de-LARPing.

Schadenfreude, stick with it. I'm a total f'in noob (few months), but there are so many cool firsts already - first real guard pass, first triangle, first armbar, first competition. These are just some of my white belt spaz experiences, but each of them was more of a rush than all my WC accomplishments put together.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 1:33pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Bwahahahahahaaaa.

Oh ****. Awesome.

Tapped a new blue and wants a stripe. Would you settle for a cookie?

Awwww, don't be too hard on the newbies. After a while he'll likely forget about the stripes anyway -- until then, let newbies be newbies... for a little while.

- daGorilla

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 2:40pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He didn't tell you the blue belt was 11 years old. Fairtex Muay Thai was my first to how much I had been wasting most of my MA carreer. I always new judo guys could kick most Krotty guys asses, so the BJJ/UFC was not that big of a suprise, actually. Oh, and having been spanked by a judo guy myself. I just thought I hadn't learned the Dea4dly kempo moves well enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 3:05pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Srsly new2bjj,
    Don't sweat it I trained from a young boy in bullshido. And even to spite wrestling and boxing in high school still clung to white tiger and ryukyu kempo until I started working club security. I got serious about getting some non bullshido training. I eventually went with judo and MT, but I have study a LITTLE bjj and you are way better off. Just let kemblo slip out of your mind and :nike:.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 3:03am

Style: Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twisted my fucking knee on my third class. I am pissed the **** off... at myself for being such a stooopid noobie. Now i'll be out for 2 weeks minimum. ****. Just needed to vent. Carry on.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 6:02am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It happens. Heal up. Don't go back too soon; but do go back. A long term approach is needed. Injuries are part of the game.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast