• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 9:24pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

School Reviews

I hope this is in the right topic. A little background info on me. I am 20 years old and live on Long Island. I trained in Shaolin Kempo for three years up too 3rd degree brown and now train in BJJ. I am a white belt. I am also taking a striking class, kickboxing, on mondays starting this monday.

I also am a waiter, soon to be bartender and hate my job. I would eventually like to teach martial arts but that will be a long time from now. I was thinking of businesses I could start now though. My freind is succesful with his own voice over and magic businesses. He told me to focus on something I like and go from there.

What would you think about a martial arts review; a critic that judges schools just like a movie critic does with movies? I would make a web site and post up my findings from various schools I check out. I would not be juding them as BS or not. I would have a list of qualities found in most schools and evaluate the school based on them. For instance, I would not be going around claiming some are BS while others are great. I will however state what a normal class is like, what the training is, how they train and what their focus is.

Example 1 : I go to a BJJ school and take lessons for a week or two. I descibe wether I thought the teacher was knowledgable, able to communicate effectivley, how the school was run, prices and what their focus is. For this(from my own school) I might say something like "Well run, open and informal training, questions are encouraged. The teacher is a purple belt under Joe Darce. He rolls with his students and the emphasis is on live grappling sparring. Drilling is kept to a minimum and conditioning is suppossed to be done on your own time. The cost is $120 per month, etc."

Example 2 : "I went to XYZ Wing Chun. The teacher is John Doe a 3rd Black under Joe Shmoe. The school is clean but small for its class size. Training begins with warm-up and general conditioning for the first 1/4 of the class. Forms are a very large emphasis as well as two man drills. This particular school emphasises self defense although it does not emphasise sparring. Drilling is a major area of concern here, making up a majority of the class. The instructor did seem knowledgable as to the techniques. He ran a strict class and claims the lineage of Emin Botzepe."

What do you guys think? Comments, suggestions, flames?
    I would like to do this one day, starting with Long Island then NYC and surounding areas.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 9:28pm

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I thought about a site similar that focused on MMA type schools, or traditional schools that practiced in an alive manner. Have technique section where a traditional move is redone to be used in an alive manner. Im just brainstorming right now.

Also a place for instructors of the school and members of the site to comment on what I wrote or what they have experienced.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 9:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from drawing a huge target on yourself when negative reviews accumulate, how will it "pay?"

--J.D.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huge target on me, well Ill try to keep it an unbiased evaluation unless they are mean and asswholes. Mostly ad space, anything I sell on it such as video or instructional series. Also considered are membership fees or donations which give you greater access.

I dont plan on becoming rich or anything off of it. Just to make a few bucks, have fun and learn to run a site.

As you can see I have no clue what type of business to start that doesnt involve martial arts, because Im told to go with what I like.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I caution it, is because martial artists are not known for either their insight or humility. If you do not give glowing reviews, you will piss off teachers. That is the nature of criticism.

--J.D.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I dont mind pissing off teachers. Its not my goal but I wont be afraid of any TKD BB's or some WC nut jobs. Those are the guys I see being most pissed. I plan on just evaluating the school and letting others view/chat about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:12pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a good idea. Do you plan on expanding it outside of the long island region? If so that'll be travel fees for you or possibly finding other people that live in those areas and having them give you their own reviews on the schools.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWTK
    It sounds like a good idea. Do you plan on expanding it outside of the long island region? If so that'll be travel fees for you or possibly finding other people that live in those areas and having them give you their own reviews on the schools.
    Yes. I would start with LI and only a few schools as I learn what I have to do and how to do it. Call it my On The Job training I guess. After that I would have others that I meet do other areas. I would still try to do some near me such as connecticut and NJ. They arent to far from me. Pretty much if I can get a cheap plane ticket Id like to do it. I also realize I would need others though because there are too many schools in the USA. Thats why I thought about limiting it to just MMA schools at first. I Dunno.

What Kempo school are you at?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:33pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    What Kempo school are you at?
    Same as kempofist.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you are going to starve.

How will it pay? How will you attract viewers? What if every damn school you visit charges a drop-in? How are you qualified to evaluate a school and then expect to get paid for it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast