I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1st BJJ class last night

I put this in my BCC training log but I thought I would share with the generall Bullshido community (although no one may care, but I do) about going to the dark side last night.

I had a credit for a cancelled seminar here www.kombatarts.com and decided instead of a refund I would try out some of their stuff starting with BJJ.

So for once my back wasn't hurting and I had time so I grabbed my stuff and went to the Thursday night class.

I show up there and put on my Gi.

The instructor showed some ways of sinking in a RNC, good stuff. Not that different from what I already knew but with some emphasis on hands and head positioning and stuff which was good. It's the small subtleties I am lacking so this is pretty much what I want.

Then we rolled.

Did I mention it was a no Gi class - so like a dork there I am in a Gi, me an one other guy. Anyways I start from inside someones guard. i pass the guard get side controll start on some hammer loacks and then get the full mount.

He's not waering a Gi.

THEN I realize that all my techniques from here involve starting with a sliding collar choke and switching into an arm bar. No gi on my oppenent no collar no choke no arm bar.

So I go back to side control, get swept and now he's mounted on me. No big deal I know some good sweeps.

Except that I use the Gi for most of them. Grabbing the collar, belt and pant leg. No Gi so I am screwed.

Eventually near the end I was starting to figure out what to do without the Gi. however this was a huge eye opener for me on how much I depend upon the Gi for most of my techniques.

Anyways that's my story.

Next week Muay Thai here I come.
  2. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been trying no-gi for some time now...and I still hate it. I am having the hardest time making that transition.

Muay Thai? Hope you have good cardio. :)

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I have been trying no-gi for some time now...and I still hate it. I am having the hardest time making that transition.

Muay Thai? Hope you have good cardio. :)

No matter how good I think my cardio is I always find it lacking when I try something new, but hey if I puke then I puke.

They had a CSW class right before the BJJ and those guys are animals!! I don't think there's anyway my back could take it yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:16am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Praxx, I've been staring at your avatar for about 5 minutes straight and I laugh every fuckin time that clown hits the deck. CLASSIC!!!!!!!

Good to hear you like your BJJ class. I'll be starting mine in a couple of weeks. I'm only going to be able to do a maximum of 1 class per week for now though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    No matter how good I think my cardio is I always find it lacking when I try something new, but hey if I puke then I puke.

Wait a minute; I consider puking on my opponent to be a legitimate Judo technique.

It's usually the only one I can pull off.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Welcome to the Dark Side... BWHAHAHAHA :P

He, we are brothers in pain then. No matter how much I try, my cardio always sucks on something. Puking is a good way to eliminate toxins, ya know.

They had a CSW class right before the BJJ and those guys are animals!! I don't think there's anyway my back could take it yet.
    What's CSW??? I've seen that acronym popping up a few times already w/o having a clue what the heck it means :icon_scra
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    What's CSW???

Canadian Seal Wrestling

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CSW = Combat Submission Wrestling. I saw the last 20 minutes of an 1 hour class. Guys were climbing up 30 foot ropes using just their arms, picking up 90 pound heavy bags and suplexing them in to mats 10X in a row and doing 90 push up's in between.

It made me want to puke just watching it.

No matter how good I think I am training I always find there's something more physical and harder I could be doing.

It's very depressing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:44am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is fun. Muay Thai in my opinion is much more fun. Although during my last class I caught 5 teeps to the cup because the guy I was holding pads for couldn't get the hang of it...

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 11:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't wait to try the Muay Thai, but everyone keeps on telling me how tough the cardio is so we'll see how much fun trying not to puke is next Thursday.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast