Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Amazingly unique introduction of incredibleness

I've been lurking here a week or two, trying to get a feel for the place. It fits entirely with my scientific/rational beliefs of fighting, and I'm glad to see BJJ (my own discipline) gets a lot of discussion here. Nothing special about me as a martial artist, though I've got lots of random skills in many strange areas. Just a skinny tough guy, with about 3 months under his belt (ha!) I train in Western NY under newly minted black belt (under Roy Harris), Kyle Saunders. (www.saundersbjj.com). I've got a training partner, and 2 other guys that sort of go with us, as well as a few friends interested in jiujitsu.

So, I came here, since I don't believe in ki strikes or chi or super kung fu ultimate power. I plan on learning MT if I can find a place around here, and one of my other friends goes to (supposedly) a pretty hardcore kung fu instructor whom I might learn from as well. He's gone there 6 months and has yet to even get his first sash, so I doubt it's a McDojo of any kind. I know mine isn't, the promotions are few and far between, the work is the hardest I've ever done, and I leave every session sweaty and sore.

So, that's me. The people here seem interesting, there's no ridiculous claims, and I feel like I can definitely learn more than a few things here. Any tips for training jiujitsu without the aid of exercise equipment (I'm poor), and eating right on a minimal budget appreciated, as well as general BSing. Cheers all :occasion1

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a while I had the monopoly on the Roy Harris Black belt instructors around these parts (I train under his other two black belts). It's good to know I'm not the only one any more.

Welcome to the forum!!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh, thank you! Yes, it's very exciting for me and my friend, we've had consistent 2X a week (and occasionally 3) with the guy, and notice we're some of the only ones who manage that. Does anyone here know the general washout rates for BJJ? It seems like it's pretty high for a standard, non bull training center..

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would guess that within the first few months the turnover is somewhere near 90% (+- huge margin of error). After that initial white belt beat down period this drops percipitously. The vast majority of people are not cut out for it.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember a college I went to had a class in BJJ and I took it over a summer. The first day there were 40 people or so wanting to sign up for the class. The first day was just sorting out attendance and such so no training took place and the coach gave a description of what BJJ actually is, saying specificly "it's about submission through pain." The next day about 25 people showed up... I think we were down to about 15 by the time the summer session ended.

Style
    Bjj/Machado/Pittman
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    I would guess that within the first few months the turnover is somewhere near 90% (+- huge margin of error). After that initial white belt beat down period this drops percipitously. The vast majority of people are not cut out for it.
    Why is this? So far I'm on a month and a half going 5 times a week, and I still get excited 30 minutes before class. Is there some kind of 2 month curse that I dont know about or do people just quit because its not what they expected?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's different per area and enrollment, but I definitely see a lot of people who only show up, say, once a week, or maybe twice a month. It's hard, hot, painful work, we all know that. And it's definitely easy to get frustrated by how easily "even" a blue belt can tap you out, let alone the kiddie pool difficulties (this being what I refer to my group that has yet to learn anything but basic techniques). Our instructor has a new fun exercise whereby we do swinging hip extensions across the mat space, most godawful thing I've ever had to do. Necessary to learn, but it just destroys me. The only things that really keep me going are A: That I paid good money for it, damnit, and B: it's getting me in ridiculous shape (at least compared to previously!)

Style
    HKD, TKD, Crappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok- where's the "amazingly unique" part?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm afraid there is not one, it was my own newbie hubris! I suppose the only thing unique about me is my unusual lifestyle and relatively bullshit free method of speaking. Oh, and I can do some funky trick with my knee where I tuck it into my body. That's all. No secret chi hidden death dim mak techniques, I'm afraid!