Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 4:01am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USAF 2025 Vision: Special Ops Forces as 'Dim Mak'

Want to know about the USAF's ideas of Special Operations Forces for 2025? Better chat to William Cheung. As part of the '2025' research project - designed to "examine the concepts, capabilities, and technologies [required] to remain the dominant air and space force in the future" - a 1996 US Government-commissioned document compares the Special Forces to the Dim Mak, or 'death touch'.

"Dim Mak (or Dim Hsueh) is a once forbidden technique in Chinese kung fu. The literal translation is “The Poison Hand” (or “Touch of Death”). Dim Mak’s technique teaches to strike a vital point, with a certain force, at a certain time, and kill. The mastery of this art requires long hours of hard training with patience, perseverance, and study. It masterfully focuses a precise strike, accounting for both position and direction, with a variable degree of power, depending on the point of impact, at a target. It also requires near-perfect knowledge of the enemy system, and is highly dependent on both the weather and the time of day for a successful strike. The Dim Mak strike provides for many levels of lethality, from paralysis to death in several hundred days.

The attributes of Dim Mak are mirrored in those of special operations forces in 2025. These forces will be highly dedicated, motivated, specially trained, and uniquely equipped. They will operate throughout the war and peace spectrum, but their forte will lay in missions characterized by political sensitivity, limited opportunity, and the use of unorthodox approaches. In 2025, the SOF precision operation’s capability will demand a continuous stand-ready posture on a global watch and, that a moment’s notice, the ability, to mobilize, deploy, locate, identify, and engage specific targets. Using varying levels of effect or lethality, SOF can then withdraw and redeploy without a trace."

The full document can be found here.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, it looks like the US will "dim mak" Iran any time now.

Sucks.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 3:43am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    Unfortunately, it looks like the US will "dim mak" Iran any time now.

Sucks.
    I'm just a little baffled by the military taking the Dim Mak seriously. I suppose they're not all MA experts, but I always associated the military mindset with a certain straightforward and simple pragmatism, where 'death touch' would seem like mystical impracticality.

My mistake, obviously...
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 5:20am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I'm just a little baffled by the military taking the Dim Mak seriously. I suppose they're not all MA experts, but I always associated the military mindset with a certain straightforward and simple pragmatism, where 'death touch' would seem like mystical impracticality.

My mistake, obviously...
    You and me both.