Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:15pm

Style: nothing at the moment..:(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reputable MA schools in Tempe, AZ?

I'm interested in getting back into MA (I dabbled a few years ago in Hwarangdo) and I've been looking around at schools here in Tempe, but they all look crap more or less. I'm pretty flexible regarding the style, as long as the quality of instruction is good. BJJ is out though, since rolling around on the ground hugging burly sweaty dudes is not my idea of fun, and Aikido is out, since one of the main reasons I want to go back to MA is to stay in shape; plus I don't have health insurance and I can't afford broken bones caused by incompetent finger locks and **** like that. I'm kind of leaning towards striking arts, although I'd probably consider Judo if I could find a good school here. The main goals I have with this are health and discipline, and to a lesser extent self-defense (I haven't been in a fight in my adult life, so I'm not too concerned about getting beat down in the street, although bettering my self-defense skills would be an obvious plus). So, does anyone have any recommendations on schools in this area? Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what schools are you thinking about?

You type like you have already made a decision.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, this one seems alright, a little mcdojoish but the owner, Ray Fisher, seems to know his stuff, and it's 75 a month and has a weight room and what not.
    http://www.acskarate.com/
    and there's a guy named Jack Wimbish who teaches Hawaii Kempo classes in Chandler. Don't know too much about him other than he is part of the George Lim crowd, but Hawaiian Kempo seems to have a reasonable reputation.
    Believe me, I am far from making a decision, and some recommendations would make all the difference.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There isn't much that is good in your area.

There are two BJJ/MMA schools in mesa but, you have a problem.

Look if you want the discipline and no contact join a health club and take their Karate/TKD. That way you also have use of the facilities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i would like to do some full contact sparring, i just can't risk getting bones broken or my teeth knocked out since i'm uninsured. i recognize the importance of full contact for learning a martial art. that's why i was thinking of judo if i could find a school, since serious injuries are rare in judo and it gets you in good shape and is fully resistant. I'd also do karate or TKD if i could find a good school, but if all i'm doing is air kicking and dancing around in a gi then i might as well save some money and just do a lot of running and pushups... i was digging throught the ACS website a little more and it's looking kind of dodgy, the guy lets people send video tapes of themselves doing katas and tests them that way.... seems increasingly mcdojo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:00pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any teacher that lists Rank in things that should be contained within the art, is dodgy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 1:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found this place:
    http://www.hiokidojo.com/
    It's kyokushin karate and seems fairly on the level, not too many kids there and the schedule works for me. Kind of a long drive though. I'm going to check it out.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 2:08am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Realize KK is a hard contact art. Do a search on this site first, especially if you don't want broken bones and other injuries. They don't do head shots but, they spar damn hard compared to most TMA schools.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 2:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    duly noted.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 2:20am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a good art but, with your stipulations, I wouldn't go.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast