Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 7:44pm

Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What to do... what to do... what to do...?

So... after many weeks of dragging my feet, I think I've finally narrowed down to three potential martial arts school/gym: Alliance (Downtown ATL), Velocity, and Tiger Academy. Now only if I could pick a place and go with it. At this pace, I'll be too old with brittle bones to even walk around.

Anyway, I'm going to write some of the pros/cons of each place and I'd really appreciate it if you all could help me out a bit by offering your two cents. Thanks!

Alliance (Downtown ATL with Roberto Traven) - PROS: only about 5-6 miles away; will be training with a BB BJJ instructor who appear to have accomplished much in his career CONS: $125/month -- do-able, but reaching the upper limits; only BJJ training available

Velocity (Midtown Location) - PROS: only about 4-5 miles away; only $69/month for unlimited kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, and boxing classes; Rapael and Junior Assuncao (brown belts I believe) teach the BJJ classes and muay thai class is taught by "Khunpon" CONS: limited number of classes (e.g. Muay Thai only taught Tues/Thurs at 6 pm -- I figure it's gonna be ridiculously big class); one of the guy that I talked to at the gym about membership info continues to call me David when i told him it isn't (sign of impersonality?).

Tiger Academy - PROS: taught by Eddie Camden (heard he's an amazing instructor); provides both BJJ and Muay Thai; vast number of classes offered CONS: $150/month!; 18 miles away (with gas price what it is today... it might add up each month)

Help.... Please?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 7:48pm

Style: BJJ, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, David, if I were in your position I'd take Velocity. Sounds like a good comprimise, especially for only $69/mo (I pay more for just BJJ)

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 7:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off what do you want?

Is it fun/hobbyist, fitness, MMA/UFC, Self defense, competition?

This is what you need to decide.

18 Miles when you have two schools closer and cheaper is a waste I've heard very good things about Alliance. So, that eliminates the 18 mile choice.

Not saying it is a bad school but, you've got at least one (that I've heard about) much closer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 8:26pm

Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, my primary interest is for fitness/self-defense purposes. I guess the one reason why I'm even considering Tiger Academy is that it seems like Velocity and Alliance teach their program focused mainly for tournaments /MMA, while from what I've gathered, Tiger Academy is really focued on going back to the "self-defense" aspect of BJJ.

Quick question... in ATL market, what exactly is "reasonable" price for BJJ/Muay Thai training and how "far" is too far to drive for training?
    Last edited by dandoe123; 6/15/2006 8:29pm at .