Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:03pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all for letting ninjas think the lunge punch actually works.

It makes it easier to kick their asses.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale makes my eyes bleed. Wonder how the ride is on Hatsumi's nuts.

As for the "lunge" punch. One should not "lunge" ever in Traditional Kata. Step through and Punch and punch through them, if they don't move or defend to bad for them.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I'm glad to know his biggest concerns are guys with swords.

I mean warfare hasn't changed at all in the last few hundred years. You either have a sword, or grab a wrist.

The worse part is many of this school changed over time to reflect modern warfare. Guess not any more.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi
    The body mechanics are the same. Most Koryu (I am not saying BJK is Koryu) and also BJK CQC based their strikes on movements they were familiar with, weapons. The oi Tsuki or lunge punch has the same mechanics of a spear thrust, wakizashi or tanto stab.
    Good Point, but a straight thrust != a lunge punch maybe a straight punch, but not a lunge punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:35pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I was going to attack someone with a knife, it would not at all resemble the lunge punch that the SUPER DEADLY NINJAS are always practicing against. It would more resemble the boxing I do. Keep a balanced stance. Stay mobile. Don't over commit your strikes. Maintain your balance. (The balance thing was worth mentioning twice.)

(I don't claim to have any knife fighting expertise, by the way. I'm just stating how I'd do it if you put a knife in my hand and said "Your life depends on attacking that guy right there.")
    Last edited by Freakshow; 6/15/2006 4:38pm at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi
    The body mechanics are the same. Most Koryu (I am not saying BJK is Koryu) and also BJK CQC based their strikes on movements they were familiar with, weapons. The oi Tsuki or lunge punch has the same mechanics of a spear thrust, wakizashi or tanto stab.
    And thats were the **** UPS begin. Last I checked a yari, wakizashi, or tanto are designed to PEIRCE with that technique and NOT your hand.

Its as irrating as when Aikido guys say that using a Jo and weilding a sword are the same thing. They're not the techniques built around a katana are designed to slice a blunt object doesn't do that. Sure some things are similar but not the whole concept.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I haven't been following the Bujinkan close enough. But what exactly is the lunge punch? Is it that Karate chamber punch with the back hand? Or do they basically throw themselves with whatever punch they are doing?

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    And thats were the **** UPS begin. Last I checked a yari, wakizashi, or tanto are designed to PEIRCE with that technique and NOT your hand.

Its as irrating as when Aikido guys say that using a Jo and weilding a sword are the same thing. They're not the techniques built around a katana are designed to slice a blunt object doesn't do that. Sure some things are similar but not the whole concept.
    The mechanics are completely different. They would know the difference if they studied 28 Jo and Bokken suburi. You don't touch the other end of a sword. My commentary sucks.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Sorry I haven't been following the Bujinkan close enough. But what exactly is the lunge punch? Is it that Karate chamber punch with the back hand? Or do they basically throw themselves with whatever punch they are doing?

Nope. That's a reverse punch. A lunge punch is when you move forward with (for example) your left leg, generally into a long, low stance and punch with your left hand at the same time. You actually end up leaning over your leg momentarily.

As a valid technique, it has flaws. However, in a world where the UFC has shown that a 'Superman' Punch can work, a lunge punch should also be able to be effective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 5:04pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Nope. That's a reverse punch. A lunge punch is when you move forward with (for example) your left leg, generally into a long, low stance and punch with your left hand at the same time. You actually end up leaning over your leg momentarily.

As a valid technique, it has flaws. However, in a world where the UFC has shown that a 'Superman' Punch can work, a lunge punch should also be able to be effective.
    Yes, but I think the problem lies more in how much of one's time is spent practicing against it, and whether or not one always knows that it is the technique that is coming.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast