Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start small. Find a garage and create a website. Make it a study group and fight team. People will slowly filter in, by then you should have the experience and knowledge to run a small school.

Thats how I did it.

Now, I run a school part-time. Its alot of work, but worth it.

Style
    Japanese Jujutsu / aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AS it has been said, running aschool is a big taking, i had a school some years back with a friend, we where both just about right out of high school and didn't dick about running a place. So, it tanked on us pretty quicklly.

As a rule of thumb, you might want to have enough capital to be able to keep the place open for about a 16-18 months without a single person walking in the door.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by konosan
    AS it has been said, running aschool is a big taking, i had a school some years back with a friend, we where both just about right out of high school and didn't dick about running a place. So, it tanked on us pretty quicklly.

As a rule of thumb, you might want to have enough capital to be able to keep the place open for about a 16-18 months without a single person walking in the door.
    And you failed again. So much for your business plan.

Style
    MMA, functional JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Man, running n MMA school would be tough- The turnover would be huge. I'd go to some other MMA schools and see what's successful. There is no real MMA school in all of the Contra Costa County ( Huge Suburb near Oakland CA) where I live- just BJJ, which really isn't MMA. There are over 30 to 40 Bullshido schools out here.....
    modern combatives in Berkeley teaches MMA 'lite' - they are not a fighter's gym per se but teach a standard SBGi standup/clinch/ground game.

moderncombatives.com

pacific ringsports in downtown Oakland teaches very respectable boxing and muay thai, and has just added a MMA class.

pacificringsports.com
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a: how old are you.

b: which fabulous little college town are you in, anyway? sounds like charlottesville or harrisonburg.

Style
    BJJ & MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    There is no real MMA school in all of the Contra Costa County ( Huge Suburb near Oakland CA) where I live- just BJJ, which really isn't MMA.
    Cesar Gracies school is in Pleasant Hill. David Terrell, Nick Diaz and Jake Shields (as well as a bunch of other fighters) train out of there. I think that would qualify it as an MMA school.
    Last edited by Meager; 6/16/2006 3:32pm at .

Page 2 of 2 First 12