Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:32am

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Opening a school

Truth:

I am an amatuer MMA fighter in Virginia 4-2, all HW but coming down to LHW in September. 2 KO's, 2 subs, KO'd once, doc stoppage another

Green Belt in Judo and Sombo (A. Tichnikov) but have trained in Sub wrestling/MMA under Brown Belt K. Parham (P Sauer). I consider myself a Blue belt at best.

I run an MMA club in college, (i have the most experience) and we actually put out good fighters. I have been asked to fight pro, as well as one of my guys. (we both declined until after college). Where we live has no MMA school besides us. The locals want to train but cannot due to college restrictions.

A poker buddy use to fight on the Toughman circuit in the early 90's (he has videos of his fights, so he is not BS) ans says I should open up a school.

Dilemma: A huge demand for an MMA school, and I am the only supply. Three TKD/Karate schools exist, all VERY traditional (one even claims that Karate is the most effective ever.....I want to challenge their biggest dude and GnP his ass.)

Is it OK if I open one up as long as I am up front about my skills and qualifications? We know a TKD BB who would run a kids program, this is more about me teaching adults sub wrestling and MT/Boxing. I am already teaching and all my people say I am a great teacher.....I just don't have a huge fight record, a black belt (even a purple would be good enough), etc. Only skills that can meet a demand. (I have the resources to run a school, this is not about running a business)

Also, if the first question is in limbo, would it be appropriate to charge members based on my quals? If I was a BB, I could see charging 150+ a month, but since I am not, I could justlfy 80-90/month. Digress and extrapolate..........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:38am

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real quick.....

I don't want to be a belt factory....maybe for the kids and when they get to a point they can learn jiujitsu.

The folks around here (30,000 population) just want to learn how to beat some ass.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:43am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989
    Truth:

Dilemma: A huge demand for an MMA school, and I am the only supply. Three TKD/Karate schools exist, all VERY traditional (one even claims that Karate is the most effective ever.....I want to challenge their biggest dude and GnP his ass.)

Is it OK if I open one up as long as I am up front about my skills and qualifications? We know a TKD BB who would run a kids program, this is more about me teaching adults sub wrestling and MT/Boxing. I am already teaching and all my people say I am a great teacher.....I just don't have a huge fight record, a black belt (even a purple would be good enough), etc. Only skills that can meet a demand. (I have the resources to run a school, this is not about running a business)
    So what is your goal in opening the school? If you don't want to run a business or be successful at said business, why open a school? I'm guessing it's because you simply like what you do -- which is great. On the other hand, how successful does the school need to be in order to pay for itself and make it worth your while? If all you want is a place to train with a few like-minded buddies and maybe a student or two, I'd probably recommend saving it for your garage.

After all, you need to pay for space, insurance, a business license, etc. -- So I suspect you'll want to at least cover your costs and not open a money-sinkhole.

Edit: Typos :)

-dagorilla
    Last edited by daGorilla; 6/15/2006 10:56am at .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:46am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just keep running the college club until after college. Then maybe think about opening a MMA club. Maybe get some pro fight's under your belt too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:46am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to know your demographics, and a bit more detail. Most of the time a person in your position opens up a school as an extension of a more experianced instructor. Care to give a few more details?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:01am

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your MT creds?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Opening a school and keeping it running takes an incredible amount of time and effort. If you are thinking of becoming a professional fighter you will find these two roles are, almost always, mutually exclusive. What I am saying is choose between one or the other. If you are wanting to step up into the pro circuit you need MORE time training, not less.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:14am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Opening a school and keeping it running takes an incredible amount of time and effort. If you are thinking of becoming a professional fighter you will find these two roles are, almost always, mutually exclusive. What I am saying is choose between one or the other. If you are wanting to step up into the pro circuit you need MORE time training, not less.
    This too.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you need a better place to train and to be able to allow non-college members to attend your training, in this location. This is inorder to train you to become a better fighter to go Pro. Does this sound correct?

I Have run WT schools in my apartment, in a storefront, and currently I run an EBMAS working group in my garage.

It can be very time consuming, expensive, and teaching new people takes away from your training time. It is very rewarding and great to have a school to provide a location for yourself and others to train in. It is worth it, but it is not easy.

I recomend trying to get friendly with a Karate school to get access to their space for you and anyone else (non-college students) to train in. They always need help keeping the lights on, and this would free your time up to just have a space to train in. It will be hard not to go for the RNC, but it could result in a good place to use.

or, Start a Club kinda thing, and rent a house with extra space. Everyone pays the same share to rent the garage/extra space for training, and you live in the house. Be prepared to be the only one who pays every few months, as people will flake on you, but you can set it up with contracts and stuff so that you get all the equipment for taking on this kinda risk. You can slowly build up things like matts, gloves, bags, all mirrors, etc...this way.

If you get some solid membership, then you can move out into a real storefront.

Last question. Do you have any business training? This is more important then the martial art itself, for this kinda thing.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 12:11am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, running n MMA school would be tough- The turnover would be huge. I'd go to some other MMA schools and see what's successful. There is no real MMA school in all of the Contra Costa County ( Huge Suburb near Oakland CA) where I live- just BJJ, which really isn't MMA. There are over 30 to 40 Bullshido schools out here.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast