Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 12:38am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "- what do you do with your other hand that's on the inside? Rorion says to use it to pin the opponent's biceps, so I guess this is wrong."

I haven't seen the video where Rorion teaches that pass for probably five years or so, so I don't recall the details of what HE showed. I am drawing more on leaning it from Barreto & seeing Joe Moreira do it. It MAY have somewhat different details.

It's BJJ, so obviously there are different versions of every pass, including this one.

The way I learned it, with the arm that will stay inside you control both lapels and drive your elbow down against your opponent's waist to keep his butocks "pinned" to the ground.

Next, you "dig" with your other arm. You do NOT "move back & down" but just "down".

As I wrote above, when you do this you need to coordinate your arms so that the "inside" arm comes back tightly against your torso AS the "outside" arm drives forward for your opponent's lapel. At that point it doesn't matter that your opponent's hips come up because your inside arm is against your torso and your belly/torso is over your opponent's buttocks.

It actually HELPS you if they go for a Triangle Choke, because they do not have the leverage or angle to lock it.

People use this pass because it works well. It not a risky pass if you know how to do it. It just has more risk FOR A BEGINNER than some other passes.

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 4:34am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spezza
    "- what do you do with your other hand that's on the inside? Rorion says to use it to pin the opponent's biceps, so I guess this is wrong."

I haven't seen the video where Rorion teaches that pass for probably five years or so, so I don't recall the details of what HE showed. I am drawing more on leaning it from Barreto & seeing Joe Moreira do it. It MAY have somewhat different details.

It's BJJ, so obviously there are different versions of every pass, including this one.

The way I learned it, with the arm that will stay inside you control both lapels and drive your elbow down against your opponent's waist to keep his butocks "pinned" to the ground.

Next, you "dig" with your other arm. You do NOT "move back & down" but just "down".

As I wrote above, when you do this you need to coordinate your arms so that the "inside" arm comes back tightly against your torso AS the "outside" arm drives forward for your opponent's lapel. At that point it doesn't matter that your opponent's hips come up because your inside arm is against your torso and your belly/torso is over your opponent's buttocks.

It actually HELPS you if they go for a Triangle Choke, because they do not have the leverage or angle to lock it.

People use this pass because it works well. It not a risky pass if you know how to do it. It just has more risk FOR A BEGINNER than some other passes.
    Great description, thanks, it makes sense now. I will try it out on my sparring partner.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123