223554 Bullies, 4483 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Walker, Texas Ranger-Night of the Gladiator

Well this is my 2nd time starting a thread so here it goes. If this in the wrong place and/or has been posted before then bring the wrath upon me. I decided to put it here because it deals with the BS seen on television with regards to martial arts. I happened to catch an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger titled Night of the Gladiator. It was your typical, "guy involved with illegal street fighting needs help...blah, blah, blah".

Nothing special but I just happened to come in on the part where Walker and Trevet(Chuck Norris and Clarence Gilyard Jr respectively) were sparring. Walker asked if he wanted to spar national or international rules, the difference being international allows kicks to the legs. Trevet said international and Walker starts peppering him with low leg Thai kicks. Trevet decides national is better for him in which case Walker displays the typical flashy karate kicks(although some looked kwon do-ish as well. After having enough of that, Trevet then says that wrestling is his game and the decide to go at it. Trevet tells Walker that if he finds himself in a bad position that he should tap the mat three times and Trevet will ease up on him(foreshawdowing what's to come).

This is where things get interesting. Trevet goes for a weak double leg and Walker pulls guard. He then reaches up and slaps on a kumura from the guard. Trevet taps the mat three times. Walker releases the hold and then goes for a swinging armbar/sweep that puts Trevet on his back with the armbar locked in. Trevet taps the mat three times. Trevet then tries to get up from the armbar by leaning up towards Walker in which case he is caught yet again in a textbook triangle choke to which; you guessed it, Trevet taps out. After the triangle choke it looks like Trevet still hasn't learned as he still has given Walker his arm. Walker then does an interest sweet(not sure the name of it) where he holds him up with both of his feet by Trevets waist as Trevet is applying all his weight on him. Walker then lowers one leg and raises the other leg so as to flip Trevet from a face down position to a face up position on his back, but instead of taking his he angles himself what looks like 45 degrees so he can attact the same arm and armbar him again. To which case; yes you know the answer already, Trevet taps.

I found the sequence quite enjoyable actually. I was very much surprised to see it. Even though I am aware of Chuck Norris' grappling creditials; from what I used to watch of Walker, Texas Ranger waaaaaaaay back in the day this was never shown. Only his high kicks and knockout(lol) punches. I'm curious if there are any other episodes that display ground fighting or if this was a one shot deal. If I had seen this episode before when the show was actively on TV or other shows like it then maybe my interest in grappling and Jiu-Jitsu would have come sooner then later. Then again, I'm originally from Detroit and doing that time, I doubt there where many Jiu-Jitsu and grapplings schools in "the hood"!

Well I thank you for the opportunity to present this to you and the time anyone has taken to read it. Any questions, comments, or general f*ck-offs then just reply to the post. Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:34pm

Style: TaeKwonDo :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really hate chuck norris

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been on the fences about Chuck Norris since I saw Sidekicks. How do you be the ass of your own son's joke for an hour and a half?

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:33pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds interesting, walker comes on all the time, but i never watch. Il have to watch it so I can give some good feedback...

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 11:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember that episode. It's with the bald guy in the black speedo. That non-sense.
    Walker should have gotten his ass handed to him.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thionk we all remember that episode. Didnt the "fighters" all have a red "X" painted on them or something?

Gotta admit, i really hate that show. What doubles its badness is that Norris wrote and sings that infernal theme songs. And his tears do NOT .. I REPEAT NOT cure cancer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw that scene several months ago while channel-surfing. I was surprised to see it, as well.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it wasn't the best show, I ended up watching a few shows and called it quiets. On this particular episode it had some nice grappling that I've never seen before in a television series. I just wish there was more. We need to have a movie where they put different people of different styles in one feature film kicking each others ass. The only problem is that if the BJJ guy brutalizes the _ing _ung guy then people won't believe it. Actually, the BJJ guy should actually be a BJJ woman, and that woman should be Kyra Gracie, but that's just in my world and the world of many other Krya Gracie fanboys...lol

http://www.dogsofwar.net/images/kyra.jpg

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 2:10am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck Norris has no hair on his balls. Because hair doesn't grow on steel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 5:10am

Style: not training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Chuck Norris has no hair on his balls. Because hair doesn't grow on steel.

:5bouncy:roflmao.:5bouncy:

Jonathan
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast