Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 5:26pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another BJJ Convert from the Bujinkan

I debated with myself for a long time before decideing to post this because I know it's an open invatation for criticism, but screw it - we only learn and grow when we're honest with ourselves, and take off the blinders, right?

So I've been doing the Buj stuff since '98. I enjoyed it for awhile and met some really decent folks.
    Last year I started doing JJ off and on with a freind who trains with a legit instructor. Mind you this wasn't on a full time basis as we had different schedules but I'd say every coupla months we'd roll for an hour.

I had been feeling for awhile now (over a year) like the Buj struff while it was okay in some aspects, DID NOT have all the answers, that and reading all the pro/against arguments here on Bullshido.

So I decide to take an extended vacation from the Buj and as of this month am training full time at a BJJ school in gi grappling.
    It also is a submission wrestling and kickboxing gym so since I also box I can go and work out there as class dues cover the gym fee. Which is $55 a month.

I have to go pick up my kids for my weekly visit, but I will post more here in a coupla hours about my first two classes and what an eye-opener they were.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Dark Side.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you start trying to tap out your pets you will know you have arrived.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw, you edited...
    Last edited by Darkpaladin; 6/14/2006 5:34pm at .
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 5:31pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you. I too am a convert from Bujinkan't to BJJ. Welcome to the real world (or a least one step closer).

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:25pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh. I remember my first time rolling after being in the Bujinkan for almost a year straight. Eye-opener was how I'd put it too. Getting choked out sucks. :)

Glad to hear you've broadened your training horizons.

edit: And just to add to the hugfest, I'm a ninja convert to judo and muay thai, or I was last time I lived in a city where there were such things as judo and muay thai.
    --
    L.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I look forward to reading your account.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Nods head*

Yup. I knew it. You won't go back to the Bujinkan I guarentee you.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a sec, you trained since '98? You must be what, 4th or 5th dan? Wait untill MAP hears about this. Some of the hardcore BBT nutriders believe they have a funtional ground-grappling system, it's just that you have to look for the right person in the right part of the world to teach it. It was hillarious when someone said that on kutaki and Daniel Weidman asked for one example of a guy trained solely in BBT who had a good ground game and nobody could give him one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:03pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4th or 5th dan? nope, just a lowly 1st.

Anyhow my first night of class was a 1/2 hour of P.T - jumping jacks,squats, push ups, bear crawl, reverse crab walk, something called inside gorilla crawl (basically a bear crawl only with closed fists) and stretching.

The remainder of class was working strictly from the guard just using the hips to move the person on top around, no hands involved (basically just lifting them up and over) and nothing else. The instructor asked me if I had any experience in ground work,and being honest I told him not enough to matter.

Did I mention that everyone in the class came up and introduced themselves and was nice, polite, and freindly? Whoever said BJJ people were all assholes?
    Anyway the last 10 mintues was rolling and rather than assume what little knowlege I accumulated with my buddy would do me any good, I went out on the mat with an open mind and rolled with a guy that had only been doing it for 2 - 3 months and promptly tapped to a choke.

Thus endeth night #1.

Night two started out the same way with condidtioning we then worked on a reversal from the guard called a scissor sweep reversal? Some one help me out with this if I am not saying it correctly. Anyway again everyone was very polite and freindly. The last 10 minutes was rolliing again and this time I was forunate enought to roll with a blue belt who tapped me with a arm bar, choke, and triangle all inside of 3 minutes.

All in all it was a good learning experience. The year or so of dabbling I did with my buddy didn't amount to squat.

I'd also have to say that whoever says that the Buj has a good ground game, you just have to know how to apply it really either needs to man up and show it, or go and get a clue. Nothing in the curriculum I've gone over since '98 did **** for me.

This is in no way disrespectfull to those who have a training method that incorperates aliveness and have figured out how to make it work.
    The stuff I learned didn't help on the ground.

Suffice it to say I am hooked.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast