Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also if you're truly interested with what phones work in different countres, try checking out www.howardforums.com, but only if you want to completely geek out on Cell phones.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:01am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bah, your moto razor is no match for any of the 5-10 year old phones in Japan. Cingular can eat my ass...
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As has already been mentioned, Europe uses GSM, so you need to buy a compatible tri-band handset.

You will most likely want to buy cheap prepaid sim cards when you are in Europe rather than using a US sim card and paying for roaming charges. It will work out much cheaper. It will be worthwhile checking rates with Vodafone since they own networks all over Europe and offer a single roaming rate. It may be the most cost effective carrier to go with if you are travelling all over.

If you will be changing sim cards you will need to make sure that the handset you buy is not sim locked (prevented from using any sim cards other than those from the carrier from whom you bought it). I suspect that most US carriers will sim lock their handsets, and probably charge a large unlock fee to remove it.

You could, of course, buy a phone when you get to europe. Cheap prepaid bundles are sold in supermarkets in the UK, for instance. These phones may also be sim locked, though.

If you do buy a phone with the intention of using the camera functionality, make sure they are stored in external memory (SD card or memory stick). This will allow you to use a card reader to extract the pictures, rather than having to send them via the carrier or mess around with bluetooth or infrared.

I think a proper camera is still the way to go though. You probably won't get to travel like this many times in your life, so don't rely on a shitty phone camera to record it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work with wireless carriers on a daily basis. Basically my job is to deal with attachments to the power company's poles and facilities. This includes a ton of antennas. Las Vegas is the fastest growing market for the wireless market.

That being said none of them are stable or worth a ****. There is no best company. Depending on where you are at any given moment you may have problems. Everyone drops calls. Everyone of them is looking to find the cheapest way to make as much money off the consumers as they can.

I will tell you that in LV the two carriers with the largest amount of antennas and attachments with us are Cingular and Sprint (now some new Expransomethingorother). A close second comes AT&T. But here is the thing. Cingular used to be Tmobile which used to be Pacbell which used to be whothefuckknows. These people are constantly buying and selling each other and each others equipment and facilities. It is a constant headache.

I know a little about the technology and where the industry is moving. If I had to say which company is better than the others or on the cutting edge I wouldn't know. Cingular has a ton of ****. But Verizon is sittin in LV with minimal facilities doing some market studies. They went bankrupt, managed to keep thier RF and some facilities, and are now sitting on a stack of cash getting ready to drop the fucking bomb with services.

Im on Sprint. For a few reasons. First of all my whole family is on Sprint and with free sprint-to-sprint we dont have minutes to worry about. Second, there is a Sprint antenna on the roof of my building so I have crystal clear service all day long. When I go home there are 3 antennas within miles of each other. Even in my basement I get coverage. I have a camera phone so I can take pictures of training accidents that leave blood on the mats, and when people spray **** all across the toilet seats here at work. Other than those photos I occassionally get pics of my dogs.

People with that radio function that goes BEEEP BEEEP and then they yell to each other in radio 2 way mode...oh those motherfuckers need to die. I blacked out one day at the bank standing in line as I had some sort of psuedo-alternate reality experience where I reverse elbowed the guy behind me in the side of the head and then stomped on his phone. When I came back to reality there was a split second where I actually thought people might not notice if I threw that elbow fast enough and pretended it wasn't me.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    this is probably more to do with what an astoundingly boring conversationalist you are.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:13am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gravious
    You could, of course, buy a phone when you get to europe. Cheap prepaid bundles are sold in supermarkets in the UK, for instance. These phones may also be sim locked, though.
    I'm not familiar enough with shops in the UK, but in Belgium I've never even heard about GSM's being sim locked.
    Buying a bundle with cheapo phone + pre-paid card will set you back about 100 euro. When you go buy a cellphone, you can always check the price of a basic model first, then check what's the price differential with a tri-band model.
    I'm with proximus myself and have yet to experience coverage issues ("tested countries" are Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxemburg and France). And yes, they have agreements with Vodafone.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's up with the "minutes" fagetry in the US? In Germany you pay when you call someone. The person recieving the call doesn't, unless they are in another country.

That is pretty logical too, since the caller simply dials the German number. The reciever, in for example France, has to pay the connection from Germany to France.

Anyway, you usually have some kind of contract and pay a base fee per month, like 25 Euros. Of course calling within your own company is much cheaper and so is calling land lines.

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    What's up with the "minutes" fagetry in the US? In Germany you pay when you call someone. The person recieving the call doesn't, unless they are in another country.
    I believe that in the States (I haven't been there, but I workin the industry) you cannot necessarily tell if you are calling a mobile number. In countries where you have calling party pays rather than called party pays, as in the States, you have differentiated number ranges that allow the caller to know up front that they will be paying extra for calling a mobile.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 7:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gravious
    I believe that in the States (I haven't been there, but I workin the industry) you cannot necessarily tell if you are calling a mobile number. In countries where you have calling party pays rather than called party pays, as in the States, you have differentiated number ranges that allow the caller to know up front that they will be paying extra for calling a mobile.
    Yes, this was also not thought out. This is why I get a flat rate to the US, regardless if I am calling a mobile or land line, while those calling me from the US are charged more to call my handy.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu

That is pretty logical too, since the caller simply dials the German number. The reciever, in for example France, has to pay the connection from Germany to France.

Anyway, you usually have some kind of contract and pay a base fee per month, like 25 Euros. Of course calling within your own company is much cheaper and so is calling land lines.
    How much does it cost per minute?

Here you'd pay, say $50 per month and get like (pulling a number out of my ass) 500 minutes for free. After that you get charged more.

But they they have things like "weekend minutes", "evening minutes", "anytime minutes" which gets so complicated and annoying, I just want to kill everyone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast