Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HOW DO CE--oh God. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that.

This is a thread about cell phones.

Look, I'll be honest. I think cell phones are one of the worst blows to human interaction since the Instant Message. They're obnoxious, ubiquitous, and have delineated our most fundamental concepts of intimacy. Believe me when I say there are few things more wonderful than being in the middle of a conversation with someone, only to have them whip out the cell and start playing Pong IN AN ASTONISHING 16 COLORS.

God I hate the fucking things. But I need one, primarily because, if you'll recall, I'm faking my death and if someone called my home phone, they'd be greeted by my totally not in mourning mom. That'd be a problem. Also, it'd probably be a good idea to have a phone in the event that something goes wrong in Europe or Asia or New York, which it invariably will.

So here's the rub. I know nothing about cell phones. I do not know anything about payment plans or the differences in brands or the reliability or reputation of the above. I will probably keep the phone after the Eurotrip is over, so I'm not exactly looking for something too cheap here. The phone does not need an MP3 player or customizable ringtones or spinning hubcaps or any of that outrageously ethnic ****, but it doesn't hurt. I'll take it as a delightful bonus I'll never use. It's been suggested that I get a phone with a nice camera built in, since it will remove the need for carrying around my large, expensive Minolta. I like the idea, but I have my doubts about the image quality. The idea of walking into the Sistine Chapel and whipping out my cell at The Last Judgement seems almost unbearably bourgeois. But then, so does taking a picture of the Mona Lisa with an instamatic, but that won't stop a zillion uneducated Midwestern housewives from flocking around and lighting it up like a disco. Can anyone here with a photography background attest to the image quality/lattitude?

I apologize again for using the HOW DO catchphrase.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not too sure about service in Europe. I live in New England, and Verizon is the best (IMO) up here. But I wouldn't trust camera phones for much. They're ok for little fun pics, but if you're going on vacation just lug the real deal around.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 3:31pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can tell you is that Cingular is the ONLY way to go. If anyone tell you different they are full of ****. I shopped around I compared, and quite frankly I think the only way that the other cell phone companies exist is that people are too fucking stupid to shop around. The others don't even compare.

Oh by the way I hate cell phones too (actually I hate ALL phones). I live 30 miles from where I work, and it comes in handy for the wife. Every time I hear a phone ring that I have to answer I cuss. :cussing: I don't like to talk to people on the phone.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go with a service like Cingulet/AT&T or T Mobile. I believe they mostly use GSM in Europe(GSM is the technology that Cingular and T Mobile use) and that could give you better reception in those Euro countries. And While Verizon has better coverage in Long Island, NY, in the City - Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc. Cingular works great.

As for Phones, I haven't had a problem with my RAZR even though Verizon thoroughly cripples it, the GSM version aren't.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 6/14/2006 3:37pm at .

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cingular sucks... my gf has it and it drops calls like a ************.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 5:57pm

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you're doing America, Europe AND Asia, make sure to get a triple-band cellphone so you can actually use it on all continents (the networks work on different frequencies, though I don't now the frequencies by heart.).
    Camera phones are good for spur-of-the-moment pics (read: you're painting the town red and your friend thinks it's a good idea to take a picture of you mock-fucking a statue.) but that's all. They don't even begin to compare to even the cheapest real camera.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience is this: be prepared to take it in the ass no matter what you do. This isn't like buying a video camera where you can pick one based on how well it can star-wipe. This **** is complicated and scary. I have some sort of family plan (with my family, duh) and I never use it. I hate the damn things, too. But in the event that I leave my keys in the car ignition and think to myself "what's that annoying beeping noise?" as I lock the door, I can call someone to cry about it.

If I were you, I'd stick to payphones and emails... :(

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 6:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate mobiles with a fucking passion and only have one so my bird can harass me 24/7...

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geijhan is right you need a phone with multiband coverage, most have that now. Frankly you're screwed. You're going to have to go off of what a salesperson tells you.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Believe me when I say there are few things more wonderful than being in the middle of a conversation with someone, only to have them whip out the cell and start playing Pong IN AN ASTONISHING 16 COLORS.
    this is probably more to do with what an astoundingly boring conversationalist you are.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast