Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 10:41am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, ... you haven't tried it. Also, you'd be too ashamed to try it at your school. I guess you'll never know. If you are ever somewhere where nobody can see, buck your torso up really fast and roll over like a gator as you wrap his leg tight with your arms. Then scramble out. It's not that hard.
    Ew, this is my universal escape. Has a high percentage chance of working which is why I tell my guys not to do full mount as it's easy for the person on bottom to reverse or just keep disrupting you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 10:53am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez after reading that whole mess I kinda wonder about a few things, try putting this into perspective.

Grappling is a chess match, one guy mounts, the bottom guy bucks, top guy makes a decision. Wrong decision and the guy goes over. Wrong technique from the guy on the bottom and he'll end up in the rear naked or some other submission but the guy who rolled had anticipated this, counter the sub now you're on top.

We can internet grapple all day. I tried it once with Aesop I believe but I misunderstood the movement he was trying, it doesn't work very well. Let 9chambers get on the floor with some experianced grapplers and drop that issue, we could be here for centuries typing away at this and that.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but 9chambers doesn't grapple, he fights.

Shadowgrappling!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 11:20am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Jeez after reading that whole mess I kinda wonder about a few things, try putting this into perspective.

Grappling is a chess match, one guy mounts, the bottom guy bucks, top guy makes a decision. Wrong decision and the guy goes over. Wrong technique from the guy on the bottom and he'll end up in the rear naked or some other submission but the guy who rolled had anticipated this, counter the sub now you're on top.

We can internet grapple all day. I tried it once with Aesop I believe but I misunderstood the movement he was trying, it doesn't work very well. Let 9chambers get on the floor with some experianced grapplers and drop that issue, we could be here for centuries typing away at this and that.
    The Tao of Omega.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 9chambers
    fanatical,

I have used it while rolling with BJJ people and it has worked. It isn't a theory. It's something I have done while sparring for years on people from a variety of stylesand it has worked. None of you guys will believe it until I do it in a BJJ competition. That's fine. You should be skeptics. When I have footage, I'll let you know.

Until then, we should all just forget about it. This thread is going nowhere. I'm not going to back down because I know I'm right. I've done this stuff and it has worked. You aren't going to back down because you are nutriders. You think you know what I'm talking about but have no clue. You won't understand it until you see it in action.

You are right. We need to drop it and come back to it when I have footage. I think it's you guys that need to drop it though. I'm just replying to your questions and insults. Give up. You've said everything over and over. We don't agree. The end.

I'm still right though. :)
    Dude. My style field doesn't say BJJ or Jiu-jitsu. It says Jujitsu (because I don't have enough experience in BJJ to actually call it "my own" :P ), like the kind of sucky "Jap" thing which is sort of Judo with kickboxing you know.. The kind that universally blows chunks all over the world usually by overemphasizing "self defence" through wristlocks.

It's not an insult to say that lots and lots of people in this thread don't agree with your comments. Lots of people who have trained for a long time, a hell of a lot longer than me simply come out and say you have things very misunderstood. I know that through history people with revolutionary thoughts have often been persecuted for their WILD new ideas. But I doubt choosing to be mounted over regaining guard is a revolutionary new move that will be the premise of a grappling revolution...
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 2:24pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers posted.
    Some guys will never know because they won't try to develop a strategy for dealing with the mount.
    On the few instances that I get to roll with women, I do see a lot of buckling from the mount :)

On a more serious note, the problem here is that you make a lot of assumptions about the guard, JJ, and those who disagree with you. JJ has many strategies for dealing with the mount (upa, elbow escape, half guard). The point is not whether there are strategies for dealing with the mount. It is what is the preferred position.

The problem with preferring the mount is that if your buckling fails (which it likely will if you are up against someone with significant JJ experience (esp if he is 50 pounds heaveir)) you are in trouble. Then again you do have very large legs (so it might not apply as much to you).

At least with the guard, you have a lot of other options available to you. With the mount, the fella on top also has much more freedom of movement and the ability to rain full force blows on your head.

I just don't think you are better off pulling guard on purpose.
    Anyone pulling guard on purpose in a street altercation (as opposed to trying to assume the top position) has a serious misunderstanding of positional hierarchy.

However, I do think you need to gain some proficiency at the guard before you are qualified to truly comment on it (watching TUF3 does not count).

You aren't going to back down because you are nutriders.
    I doubt you are the first to question the positional hierarchy. There are many for instance who prefer the half guard. But preferring to be mounted? That is still mind boggling.

I also doubt that a sanctioned JJ compeition is a good place to test your theory considering the penalties for allowing yourself to be mounted.
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    omega,

Forever the voice of reason.

Firebrand,

The problem with preferring the mount is that if your buckling fails (which it likely will if you are up against someone with significant JJ experience (esp if he is 50 pounds heaveir) you are in trouble.
    I'd also be in trouble in the guard with an experienced grappler who has 50 pounds on me.

However, I do think you need to gain some proficiency at the guard before you are qualified to truly comment on it (watching TUF3 does not count).
    I will do my best. Thank you.

I also doubt that a sanctioned JJ compeition is a good place to test your theory considering the penalties for allowing yourself to be mounted.
    True.

I like all you guys. I'll be experimenting and training and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks. Right now, I've got to get some drawings done so I can make some money.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 5:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't mean to sound like an asshole, but consider the amount of sweeps and attacks from guard vs. reversals and "attacks" (good luck finding the last) from under mount..
    More human than human is our motto.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 5:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers I think you should stop. I know absolutely nothing about BJJ but I could tell this isn't going too well. The first part of the thread was good when you demonstrated that BJJ isn't the end all of grappling arts.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/17/2006 7:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    But you see you've just done it there. You start off saying BJJ but in general you mean grappling.

Actually no. You didn't follow my comment:

This thread is actually a great example of why advocating bjj (if the school also works no-gi and mma) is actually correct.
    Because, [important stuff about grappling]

This most commonly will be found in a bjj school.
    Further, when it comes to grappling as relevant to mma your most common choice, and in many areas the only choice, is going to be bjj.

Hopefully Karo will continue to do well and inspire judoka to move part of their focus to that arena as well. That would in fact be great since judo is generally far more commonly available.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 6/17/2006 7:45pm at .
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19202122 ... LastLast