225090 Bullies, 3680 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    My current teacher teaches out of a modified two-car garage. He has down rubber mats with carpet over it for the majority of the space, and some weight machines, a makiwara post, a shin conditioning post, and all his striking pads and focus mitts on a shelf up there. He also has a few pictures of Mas Oyama and a big mirror along one side. It's probably one of the best places I've ever trained at just for the sheer amount of knowledge I get from those guys. My sempai Harvey's been training in Kyokushin for about 22 years now, Yuki has a few dans in different karate styles plus Kyokushin and has been training for 27 years, and Manny's a dan in Kyokushin and a godan in Judo. All told, there's about 60+ years of MA knowledge right there. And when Shihan Farrel visits, that goes up to about 100 easily. Leaving that place is the only drawback to taking the cop job down in Raleigh.
    You're coming down my way. I live in the Raleigh area. When are you coming and what kind of training will you be looking for when you get here? There are some really good schools in the area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:37am

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's an SBG affliate in town that runs out of a garage. The garage is all padded/matted up. They also train at park occassionally.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:43am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in a brand new 14 million dollar gym at lunch with two of my students, and in the evening I train in an old high school basketball gym (built in 1935 by the WPA). The high school has a new gym they use for basketball.

I like the old gym which is 200 yards from my house better than the 14 million dollar gym because;

I'm on hardwood floors,

it is by my house, (I can go there anytime I want, I have a key)

I don't get spectators,

*it is not climate controled. I know that sounds wacko, but I like to sweat. :zicon_ram

*If it get too hot (+100) we go outside under the trees in the grass and train.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    You're coming down my way. I live in the Raleigh area. When are you coming and what kind of training will you be looking for when you get here? There are some really good schools in the area.
    The academy got pushed back to September 3rd so probably around late August. I'm already planning on checking out Ligo Dojo in Durham, it's a Kyokushin dojo because I definitely want to keep going with Kyokushin. I also plan on looking into East Coast Submission Academy and their submission fighting program. My buddy Jay used to train at Miletich Fighting Systems in Knightdale, so I might definitely check that out as well if he can put in a good word for me.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    The academy got pushed back to September 3rd so probably around late August. I'm already planning on checking out Ligo Dojo in Durham, it's a Kyokushin dojo because I definitely want to keep going with Kyokushin. I also plan on looking into East Coast Submission Academy and their submission fighting program. My buddy Jay used to train at Miletich Fighting Systems in Knightdale, so I might definitely check that out as well if he can put in a good word for me.
    Sounds good. I actually haven't heard of Ligo Dojo, but ECSA is pretty reputable. You also may want to check out Team ROC in Chapel Hill.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My escrima instructor gives his classes in an open field, next to a church and a school... this is in South Florida, under the sun and all the damned humidity :tongue3: The only problem was that classes would be postponed whenever it rained, but now, he found an open area in the school where he moves his class whenever it rains.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 11:49am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach out of my home.

Had a bunch of students take out some walls to make one large room, but during the summer, we train in my paved backyard.

Most of my teachers over the years have taught in similar surroundings, so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:21pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    around here the only places I've seen worth training at were in warehouses, empty office buildings, people's homes, etc.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Sounds good. I actually haven't heard of Ligo Dojo, but ECSA is pretty reputable. You also may want to check out Team ROC in Chapel Hill.
    Ligo Dojo just opened up in Durham, just your typical Kyokushin place (though since they're under Shihan Royama they've begun implementing head punching into their kumite). ECSA does look good, I've contacted them through email and they seem friendly. Maybe when I'm down there next week and have some time I'll snag a cab and zip on over to give the class a try.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12