• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:27am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dojo in your home?

I just finished reading a thread where a guy teaches Buj in his garage in TN. Kinda lame but whatever. What I want to know is are there any guys that either teach or train in a garage? Im talking about formal classes not your own, home workouts.

Do any of you have a house that you made part of it(basement,garage, etc) intoa gym/studio/dojo?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have met a few people who do. Some are "old school" in the sense they are more interested in working out with someone than having a school. The benefits is you do not have to "whore" to make rent. I have an old friend who, literally, "mixes" in his garage--a boxer visits, a grappler, he does tradtional, and they all beat the hell out of one another.

I actually have a lot of respect for the "garage" teacher.

--J.D.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:39am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X

I actually have a lot of respect for the "garage" teacher.

--J.D.
    Yup, me too.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my old teacher taught out of an abandoned train station, if that counts :p

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:47am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    my old teacher taught out of an abandoned train station, if that counts :p
    That not only counts, it rocks.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 3:01am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just wondering. I thought about doing something similar when I have rank in BJJ. I dont plan on making a living off of it in the beggining. I thought that I could finish off a basement or a large garage. Form my own dojo before I eventually move into a commercial area or just keep it while doing something else(school teacher or whatever).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 5:58am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are guys i know who run a boxing/weights gym in an abandoned warehouse/factory area

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:43am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My current teacher's brother builds energy efficient houses, so he (my teacher) had his built with a small dojo/kwoon. Me, I have a yard and a place to hang my heavy bag.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spent about six years training with a guy who sold his school after about 30 years of teaching. We had a small group that trained at his house and he trained us just because he enjoyed it. His house was about a mile and a half down a pretty isolated dirt road. We turned an old 20X20 storage shed into something that resembled a dojo.

My friend worked for a foam manufacturer, so we made our own mats from the foam and some carpet. The same guy was also a welder and he made us a kickass heavy bag stand. It was hotter than hell in the summer and cold in the winter, but the training was good.

The instructor never took a penny from us. He also never cut us any slack. We weren't paying him, so he knew he didn't owe us ****, especially as far as rank went. He told us he'd never give us black belts until we impressed him, and he made us earn them. I had a lot of fun training that way.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My current teacher teaches out of a modified two-car garage. He has down rubber mats with carpet over it for the majority of the space, and some weight machines, a makiwara post, a shin conditioning post, and all his striking pads and focus mitts on a shelf up there. He also has a few pictures of Mas Oyama and a big mirror along one side. It's probably one of the best places I've ever trained at just for the sheer amount of knowledge I get from those guys. My sempai Harvey's been training in Kyokushin for about 22 years now, Yuki has a few dans in different karate styles plus Kyokushin and has been training for 27 years, and Manny's a dan in Kyokushin and a godan in Judo. All told, there's about 60+ years of MA knowledge right there. And when Shihan Farrel visits, that goes up to about 100 easily. Leaving that place is the only drawback to taking the cop job down in Raleigh.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast