Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 8:57pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    He might not be a dick, but he was told to go light. If a total newbie starts going apeshit, he'll get the same treatment as a wrestler who goes apeshit. No favors.
    I agree with this, although I don't recall asking for special favors once he's been told to stop.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I dunno. Even in my first time rolling I knew that if I felt something going against my limb in the way it's not supposed to bend, I should tap. Hell, if anything I was guilty of tapping too early/too often when rolling, because I just wanted to start over from the knees and see what I could do to not end up in that situation again, rather than just struggle for 5 minutes in a poor posistion.
    Yeah, I'm guilty of that, too. I know I can't escape 90% of the subs people get on me, so I tap before they really sink it in, but when I already know it's hopeless. They complain "but I didn't get it yet!" though. :(

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 4:25am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand
    Maybe so. Still, the wrestler should have been warned about the virtues of tapping before his arm was popped. If for no other reason than to minimize any risk to the school. At least the first time anyway.
    This is a silly comment. Let me explain.
    I'm going to drop a huge bomb here... are you ready?
    You sure?
    ok here goes...

Jiu-jitsu is not wrestling!!!

OMG! ROFL! RLY?

I get a little irked seeing some replies here saying "omg but wrestlers only do what comes natural" So Muay Thai people should start kneeing people in the head when clinching for a takedown? Yes the games are similar, but not insanely alike. And tell me, does a wrestler walk in off the street having never ever heard of BJJ? Does he suddenly discover submissions that very day and think "wow... I never knew you could choke people"?

Of course he doesn't you cocks. He's a wrestler yes, I get it. But being able to wrestle for pins does not mean you automatically turn into a freaking spaz in a place you have chosen to learn jiu-jitsu. You come there to learn jiu-jitsu not to **** people up to prove you're the man. You don't come there to win, the first fucking year you come there to lose and learn HOW to win in this new game which you hopefully think is really fun and interesting. That's what I thought when I started BJJ. Of course if you do it to be cool or do it because you think you should then you are just as well making a fool of yourself and wasting your time.

The problem is ego. Wrestlers are often (and note I'm not saying always and everyone and bla bla so don't give me any bullshit later) .. very often quite confident in their wrestling ability. Which of course they should be. But in Jiu-jitsu, while bodies are wrestling to gain position etc, you have to deal with submissions. Plain and simple. So let's say wrestlers are aware of that. That they might get submitted.. They don't want to. No fucking WAY they want to be submitted by a little **** like me for instance. And that's why you spaz you cocksuckers. Not because you are on super-ultra-wrestling-automatic-mode. Because your ego's feel a submission coming and can't take it. I know, I've felt it. But I've never been a wrestler so I just got owned and tapped because I felt helpless. Wrestlers don't feel helpless because they think this is their domain and being caught in a submission makes them pull out all sorts of spazing moves.

You may now proceed to call me an ignoramus or whatever you feel like. I'm just so tired of this insane "lol wrestlers > BJJ" **** that people have been spouting lately. It's two different yet similar methods of grappling which obviously compliment eachother.
    I've had one of my most serious injuries (yes I have been injured LOTS of times compared to my very short period of BJJ.. and no it's not mine or others faults really, there have been accidents :( ) because of a wrestler spazing when I went for an armbar from guard. I DIDN'T fully extend because I saw him getting really nervous and trying to yank out time and time again after I could have finished him two-three times. When I let go and thought I might as well regain guard and go for a chross choke seeing as people usually understand chokes better than locks, he took the opportunity to grab my foot and crank on an improvized reverse toehold or what the hell I could call it. He was a lot bigger than be so he fell backward grabbing my foot, rolling over on top of my leg.. I didn't really see what was happening and thought "what the hell is he doi-AARGH!!"

He was real happy he got a sub on someone weighing probably 30kg's less than him who didn't murder him when he had the chance. I walked away with a fucked up ankle and even knee because he torqued it spasticly with all his might before I even had a chance to tap.

The moral of this story isn't that wrestlers are always like this, but that people are idiots. And that I fully agree with the OP even though his thread is an attempt to say wrestlers are ****, they do in my experience to a lot of crazy bullshit mainly because of ego. It's like they don't come there to learn, just to win with their wrestling and it pisses me off. I don't even know why I mentioned this. No "wrestling is the bomb yo" turd is going to give it a second thought.

The bottom line though is that you come to a BJJ place to learn BJJ, not to wrestle like in highschool. If you missed that little fact right there, you're an idiot. Thank you for your attention.
    More human than human is our motto.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 7:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What he said.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm guilty of that, too. I know I can't escape 90% of the subs people get on me, so I tap before they really sink it in, but when I already know it's hopeless. They complain "but I didn't get it yet!" though. :(

i have to agree about the habit thing though. i had a bad habit of going for a MT clinch when i was starting judo, which always ended badly against anyone with some kind of judo skill. i got my ass kicked all round that place, it was great. probably didnt help that the very first time my instructor tried to take me down i punched him across the face and made him bleed :eusa_droo

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    . I'm just so tired of this insane "lol wrestlers > BJJ" **** that people have been spouting lately.
    **** off. Nobody said wrestling is better than jiu-jitsu, they are two different sports with two different purposes. What I get sick of is new bjj guys that like to brag on how they tapped the spastic wrestler. I should hope they fucking tap a guy that has never done submissions before. You continue to defend the sport you love, great. But I'm not an asshole for defending the sport I love. Tapping wrestlers has become a sort of a feather in the cap for a lot of motherfuckers in BJJ, and its complete horseshit.

In short, if you want to keep calm and discuss this, that's cool, I love good debate. But if you want to freak out and act like a flaming asshole about the subject, I can do that too. Your move, Kasparov.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 10:46am

Style: street fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    This is a silly comment. Let me explain.
    I'm going to drop a huge bomb here... are you ready?
    You sure?
    ok here goes...

Jiu-jitsu is not wrestling!!!
    Tell that to Ranger Cordell Walker!

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then there's the Judo guy... power throws people on their backs when starting from the knees...
    That was me. It was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    probably didnt help that the very first time my instructor tried to take me down i punched him across the face and made him bleed :eusa_droo
    What the hell is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    That was me. It was awesome.
    No, it wasn't. The guy stuck with us and is now a blue belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2006 1:20pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew-jitsu
    So he is basically scoffing thinking he is to good for these lessons... He then has the nerve to say after he's been submitted a kmillion times that, "It's decent, but nothing special."
    The problem isn't that the guy was a wrestler, the problem is that he is just an asshole. The sure give away is the fact that on his first day at a new school he comes in and cops a superior attitude even after he just got handled on the mat. Guys like that are a waste of time because they will never learn and never stick around very long.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast