Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:48pm

Style: Kickboxing, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, this story is exactly how I used to be before I started doing BJJ. I was a wrestler in high school for 3 years. Granted, I was nothing special, but I believed I had pretty decent take downs and I could keep anyone pinned to the mat if i wanted to. Then I got a VERY rude awakening during a session at my old dojo.

Every Friday, typically after normal karate class was over, our sensei would hold a BJJ class with an instructor of a BJJ school down the road. I never really thought much of it. One day, my sensei invited me to join one day and see how I felt about it. I agreed, thinking it can't be too different from wrestling practice. We started off going over shrimping, a few escapes if you're mounted, a couple submissions from the guard, mount, and side mount, and the defense against these techniques. While we were doing these, I thought to myself, "Hm, interesting. Different way to look at my ground game." Then it came to live grappling. And that's when it happened.

Me and my partner (who was a student at the BJJ academy, 6 months a white belt) started in the tieup. He grabbed for the sleeves of my gi, and I, going into wrestling mode in my mind, grabbed the back of his head with my left hand, and his right elbow with my right hand. I pushed his elbow upward and shot in for a double leg. Thinking i got him, I drove forward and got him on his back. Now, me being the n00b I was at the time, I thought I had him. What I didn't know was that when he hit the ground, he sat up immediately and sank in a VERY tight gulliotine choke. In my mind, I'm going, "WTF?!?"....and that's when everything went black. The next thing I remember was waking up staring at the ceiling with my sensei over me asking if I'm ok. Ever since then, I knew that BJJ was definetely the next step in my training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:24pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestlers tend to be very aggresive becuase they are trained that way, but there is hope. Give him some time and he'll come aroud, and if he doesn't he'll be fun to use as a training tool. When I was younger I was a real prick, had a chip on my shoulder (more like a boulder) and every combat sport or art I trained in I went all out even when I should not have. Until I met an instructor that gave me a good thumping and taught me some respect. I am not taking up for the kid but some wrestling coaches act as though they are training CIA hitmen instead of athletes.
    BJJ is great for wrestlers it polishes skills they do not have so just give him a little friendly advice and encouragement and it'll be fine.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love those guys. No, no, really I do. There is nothing better than someone going a million miles an hour while you just lay there like a noodle and then hear then yelp in pain because they didnt want to tap to a compression, and yes that is all the spastic assholes get from me. I dont attack joints or throats, oh no, I go for a lock that they think they can muscle out of, untill their muscle feels like it is going to explode. This leaves no reason for the video that phrost talks about, as a good calf/hamstring lock can leave you limping for WEEKS if they are too dumb to tap. Oh yeah and if you apply pressure nice and slow they think that they are ok and will try to muscle out, making the sorness last oh so much longer. Call me a sadist if you will but egotistical assclowns like that deserve the "hot carl" of pain.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with the notion that while putting the occasional jerkoff wrestler through extreme pain is totally cool, actually popping elbows and nasty **** is *probably* a shitty thing to do (although I have met people who are the exception to this)

Personally I like to use knee-on-sternum and tricep/bicep pinchers from mount/side control (funny cause they won't tap even though you got it deep and hurts them like hell, come back with huge bruises) or slowly finish them witha triangle choke till I see the veins on their forehead.

Only one wrestler came in, police guy, who I really got annoyed with. Not a bad guy, but huge ego. I was relaxed as always until he grabbed my fucking toes and held for a long time trying to pass guard. That really fucking pissed me off cause it was a bitch move and I had tape on my toes at the time (I've broken 3 toes on that foot alread). So I forced an armbar from guard that he was furiously trying to power out of by kneeing him in the face as I spun to take it and then hacking at his arms with my heel until he let go. Fucking jerkoff.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a wrestler come in to one of our clubs who liked to slam people and generally be a dick to everyone smaller than him, so naturally I lined up with him at my first opportunity. Within ten seconds I have the triangle around his shoulders and he says "you don't have it". For the rest of the round I triangled him repeatedly while talking **** the entire time, and would have put him to sleep had I not been having so much fun with him spazing around. The kicker is that after class he asked me where he could find a catchwrestling school.

His girlfriend is also an aikijujutsu nutbar who was poking our students in the ears or something, but I put a stop to that.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeOverBullet
    I pushed his elbow upward and shot in for a double leg. Thinking i got him, I drove forward and got him on his back. Now, me being the n00b I was at the time, I thought I had him. What I didn't know was that when he hit the ground, he sat up immediately and sank in a VERY tight gulliotine choke.
    lol - many a burly wrestler was initiated into BJJ after sticking their head into a nasty guillotine.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a wrestler. When I started BJJ I know I was a spaz on the mat.

I also used to try to back out of triangles. Heh. I got tired of gurgling after awhile.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember a spazzy wrestler guy at our judo club once. He was an adult, mid-late thirties and was just muscling around the younger lighter guys. So I grabbed him for standing. Our sensei had made a point of asking him to try judo rather than wrestling (though that didn't really work out) so I made a point of telling him to do whatever he wanted, judo or wrestling, didn't matter to me.

Let me tell you I put on a clinic of clumsy, "accidental" knees to the head. It seemed whenever he came slamming in on a double I happened to be stepping forward into it. Then I made a point of finishing every throw properly, meaning putting my whole weight on top of him at the end. At one point he got pissed off and rolled me over after we hit the ground. The funny part was he did it with the big open wrestler neck and I slapped a RNC on him.

After class I took him aside and told him he'd need to take it a lot easier on the younger guys or he'd probably be either asked to leave the class or end up doing the entire class with guys like me. He settled down after that and does alright now.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love these wrestlers. In Oct we went down for a grappling tourny, and there was this wrestler walking around in his spandex tights and a knee pad on one knee, obviously for shooting in. you could tell the guy thought he was the ****, and one of our wrestlers said he was really good in the province.

First round of the no-gi novice div, he was up against a smaller guy. Wrestler got the good double-leg, but came down with his arm on the wrong side. Boom, arm triangle choke. Choked completely unconscious! Woke up not knowing where the hell he was or what happened, stood up to fast, started having a seizure and passed out again!!

Funniest **** I've ever seen! It felt REAL good watching that!

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a wrestler and a BJJ player. Sometimes I still get pissed when I hear other BJJ players talk **** on wrestlers. It reaks of jealousy. In short, I'd rather be a spastic wrestler than a guard jumping bjj newbie. At least I had a semblance of ground control.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast