Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 11:26am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im a wrestler who just started doing no gi bjj (about 3 weeks) and i can say that it is REALLY difficult to tone it down when you're rolling. i don't have an ego (because i suck), but im constantly being more aggressive than most of the pure bjj people in there, just out of habit.

im about 5'10, 170, and among the smallest in my bjj class. but wrestling's really helped me to get and keep good position while rolling with much bigger guys. of course, i suck at subs, so it doesn't really mean anything and i always eventually get my ass kicked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the wrestler was a bit of an ass, but I don't think the way the academy handled him was very positive either. Let's face it, when you're in the business of teaching a martial art, you're gonna have a lot of people with some ego coming in, and that's not even a bad thing. Ego pushes us to improve ourselves. Whether or not that ego becomes a negative or positive influence has a lot to do with how the instructors handle it, believe it or not.

Having him get beat up and down by people way out of his league, while grinning at him the whole time is not going to encourage him to act humbly, despite what you would think. It's just gonna step on his pride and make him even less likely to acknowledge the skill of his partners. The same guy could have easily become a more respectful and active student, depending on how the first class was handled.

Honestly, even if you hadn't told me how he responded at the end of class, I could have seen it coming a mile away from the way the story went down. Did you really think he was gonna be like "Wow, those little dudes who owned me are really skillful. This is some good stuff!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:37pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But part of being the new guy in bjj is the complete demoralization. I don't see how, just since this guy has some pride, he should be treated differently than anyone else.

If a bjj guy walks into a judo club for the first time, should people not throw him because he did another martial art first?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not my point, of course you get your ass kicked all over the place on your first day. Everybody who starts goes through that, regardless of prior experience (although I've heard of schools where you can't roll for the first week). My point is there is a lot to do with how that is handled. In my class, we would not crank an armbar 'til we heard the joints popping just 'cuz a beginner didn't realize he's lost and should tap, we would let it go and go for something else, esp if you're a blue belt that knows for sure you can easily get whatever you want. We also wouldn't have people standing around grinning at the guy and thinking "That's right, bitch", with our thoughts clearly readable on our faces.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If getting effortlessly handled by someone half your size doesn't make you want to learn from them, you don't deserve to get any better.

EDIT (Re: MuKen's post): Totally.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 6/14/2006 12:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuKen
    That's not my point, of course you get your ass kicked all over the place on your first day. Everybody who starts goes through that, regardless of prior experience (although I've heard of schools where you can't roll for the first week). My point is there is a lot to do with how that is handled. In my class, we would not crank an armbar 'til we heard the joints popping just 'cuz a beginner didn't realize he's lost and should tap, we would let it go and go for something else, esp if you're a blue belt that knows for sure you can easily get whatever you want. We also wouldn't have people standing around grinning at the guy and thinking "That's right, bitch", with our thoughts clearly readable on our faces.
    Point taken.

Demoralization=good
    Joint damage=bad

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At first I thought this was a joke, but this is pretty accurate. All the third rate wrestlers really want to go start with **** with everybody else.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'd probably be a good idea to videotape new guys who come in with an obvious attitude as they roll. That way, they can't run out talking **** about your school when you have them on tape getting clearly owned, and post it on your website if necessary.

Hell, we'll even host them for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:22pm

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    It'd probably be a good idea to videotape new guys who come in with an obvious attitude as they roll. That way, they can't run out talking **** about your school when you have them on tape getting clearly owned, and post it on your website if necessary.
    Having an attitude is something that is not tolerated 'round here.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jzs
    Having an attitude is something that is not tolerated 'round here.
    Only those that can backup an attitude on the mat as well as in a debate are allowed to have one.

You can't do either so you are not allowed.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast