Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:04am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A wrestler walks into a BJJ Academy

So today a high school wrestler walks into our BJJ acadamy for his first free lesson. So a purple belt takes him aside and starts showing him the basics like upa drills and stacking guard escapes. So he is basically scoffing thinking he is to good for these lessons. So the black belt who runs the acadamy asks him if he wants to spar with the rest of the class. Now this guy is young just having graduated, about 5'10" and 175 lbs. He's obviously in really good shape, strong with good endurance. So our resident black belt tells everyone to go easy, including him. Well in typical male ego fashion, this guy starts going completely aggro trying to muscle his moves with his partner. So our instructer puts him up against a 140 lbs white belt who's been training for about 6 months, but has really awesome technique. I'm 200 lbs, and I can't tap this white belt. Needless to say, despite the wrestler's aggression, the white belt taps him twice. However, the wrestler was picking up the white belt, and slamming him while he was in guard. So then our instructor puts the wrestler up against a blue belt with equal physical attributes. So the wrestler just starts going all out in the blue belt's guard. Needless to say, the blue belt handed this guy his ass via triangle and arm bar at least 6 times in 5 minutes. Meanwhile, our instructor has this grin on his face like that's right bitch. During a few of the arm bars, the wrester wouldn't tap so the blue belt went until he heard a couple of elbow pops. Then after after it's all over the wrestler is asked what he thought. He then has the nerve to say after he's been submitted a kmillion times that, "It's decent, but nothing special." Can you be anymore of a douche bag after having your ass handed to you so many times?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:15am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though it's typically ego that drives guys to be dicks and go a billion percent during "easy free rolling", wrestlers really find it kinda hard to make that transition. Wrestling is all about going all out for 6 minutes and aggression, so the transition for us into a more relaxed rolling is a little jarring at first.

Hopefully he'll become less of a dick as time goes on.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not about the way he acted, but about how he dismissed BJJ after he was pwned a million times after he had his ass handed to him.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I knew, I was just nit picking that one part of the sentence to let you know that not all of us wrestlers are being assholes when we do that =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:42am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a lot of respect for the skills wrestlers have. I train with them and try to learn from them. Also, I think they tend to make some of the best BJJ practitioners and fighters after some training. But respect and humility has to flow both ways. How much respect do you think a BJJ guy would get at a wrestling practice if he blew off the value of wrestling after being pinned 30 times? Not much. Why should this guy get respect at a BJJ school after acting like a complete tool?

For every wrestler that makes the transition to BJJ / MMA, there are several who try it out for a few classes, then never come back because their egos can't handle it. BJJ training is a humbling experience, especially when you're first getting started. If you already have a high opinion of your grappling skills, it's hard to take getting subbed over and over again by whitebelts that you outweigh by 30 pounds.

I guess my point is that newbies don't deserve respect just because of prior experience, whether it be wrestling, boxing, other martial arts, or whatever. Respect is earned by the effort you put forward to learn new skills, and by the way you conduct yourself in class.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil, you win the thread!
    More human than human is our motto.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal experience with wrestlers goes along these lines:

They're used to using alot of strength when they train- dont rob them of this when you try to make them train in your class- let them go as hard as they possibly can so there arent any excuses afterwards.

They're used to being on top- I think its very important to show someone the value of being able to fight from the bottom position and submit an opponent, but due to the nature of wrestilng, the guy on top will always feel as if hes winning the fight. As a result, I always try to catch a few subs from the bottom and spend the rest of the time sweeping him and putting him on his back so that he feels as uncomfortable as possible. They often turn their back, giving the RNC which is an important lesson.

That being said, no one likes to be embarassed in front of an audience, so I also try to give an opportunity for the wrestler to strut his stuff. After showing him the groundwork (and let him get submitted) I try to somehow incorporate a training session comprised soley of takedowns so that he can get into a comfort zone and leave the class feeling that he has a lot to learn but also had a fun time. As was said, no one likes to have their ass kicked the whole time, so give them a little something like this to boost their ego after they're caught a few times on the ground and you'll most likely have a ne student signing up.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    My personal experience with wrestlers goes along these lines:

They're used to using alot of strength when they train- dont rob them of this when you try to make them train in your class- let them go as hard as they possibly can so there arent any excuses afterwards.

They're used to being on top- I think its very important to show someone the value of being able to fight from the bottom position and submit an opponent, but due to the nature of wrestilng, the guy on top will always feel as if hes winning the fight. As a result, I always try to catch a few subs from the bottom and spend the rest of the time sweeping him and putting him on his back so that he feels as uncomfortable as possible. They often turn their back, giving the RNC which is an important lesson.

That being said, no one likes to be embarassed in front of an audience, so I also try to give an opportunity for the wrestler to strut his stuff. After showing him the groundwork (and let him get submitted) I try to somehow incorporate a training session comprised soley of takedowns so that he can get into a comfort zone and leave the class feeling that he has a lot to learn but also had a fun time. As was said, no one likes to have their ass kicked the whole time, so give them a little something like this to boost their ego after they're caught a few times on the ground and you'll most likely have a ne student signing up.
    I think that's a smart way to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:49am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We get wrestlers all the time at the school i attend, but none of them have ever really acted like the guy you describe. I think thats because my instructor says he'll kick them out of the school if they show too much ego.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dislike wrestlers who try to powergrind the newbies. It makes me angry to see them driving thier elbows into peoples eyes and face and do nothing but neck crank. The original poster mirrors some of my experiences, but I take special pleasure in not just tapping those guys, but making it extremely painfull. Why go RNC when you can apply the wristbone to thier throat and make it impossible for them to swallow for a week? Why finish the triangle when you can sit on thier head until they turn purple? They love to bend fingers, but don't seem to like to tap to wristlocks - doesn't mean they won't be feeling them for a few weeks. As much as they love to cross face they can really appreciate the face choke.

But we have a lot of good wrestlers at my new school and they use a great combination of explosive energy and technique. You have to respect thier top game.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast