Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well... I did Isshinryu with the most INSANE people on the planet for that stuff. I mean they actually believed breaking your hand was a good idea....

Nine months; if you broke it, its gonna be bad for about nine months.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 2:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My left hand's middle knuckle had a moveable, sore semi-squishy lump on it the size of a marble that took 2 years to slowly shrink away.

My instructor's friend who was sort-of a sometimes instructor of mine also encouraged me to break my knuckles on his makiwara which was just a bare flat board with some sway fitted to a floor stand.

I had no idea what the lump was. I'd never broken anything except nose/teeth, not even a toe, so I imagined breaking a bone would have some climactic signal to tell me to stop hitting the board or take time off instead of half-assing it and drawing it out longer.

I didn't have the internet to explain all this stuff to me when I was younger and more stupid.
    Last edited by maofas; 3/25/2010 2:58am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 7:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My right hand is more of a claw:

Two broken fingers, broken wrist capsule (Engrish?), damaged tendon sheath two broken knuckles.

Was well for years, but hurts every day since I restarted kickboxing.

Looks like I will eventually have to switch to a grappling art, or stop MAs altogether.

Currently trying to switch to southpaw, but duuuuh, that's hard.

The same I advice to the OP, should the wound linger.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're on the topic, this is the best article I've ever seen for training with a hand injury

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/knife_game.htm
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 9:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet kune do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard breaking the knuckle is suppose to work. Oddly enough, i was having the same "sting" that was referred to in my left knuckle when i'd hit the bag raw, and usually when i felt that i'd back off and put gloves on. Well i was hitting it the other day pretty lightly like 60-70% power thinking i wouldn't feel it especially hitting on the less dense areas of my bag buttttt i felt it and then went back to lifting. Later that night (after feeling nothing else after this lil incident) i go to the bathroom, and as i'm washing my hands i am startled at the sight of my knuckle being the size of the earth. Totally thought i got messed up by a spider but alas it was my knuckle being broken and it took a good 5 hours to actually take effect, is that normal? Never went to the doctors either, probably gonna look into that tho.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 10:57pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    My left hand's middle knuckle had a moveable, sore semi-squishy lump on it the size of a marble that took 2 years to slowly shrink away.
    I've had something similar to that. If I remember correctly, it was because so much swelling stretched the ligament on my knuckle to the point that there was more slack than normal in the ligament. I was advised to alternate between hot and cold press to help with the swelling on my two big knuckles and it went away in about two months.

I remember that the reason it swelled like that was because my uncle scolded me for no reason (must've just been blowing off some steam) while I was cooking and he made me very angry. Since I was holding a knife in my hand, I needed to stop myself from stabbing him so I punched the wall multiple times. God damn was I stupid back then.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12