Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a cool thing on the discovery channel where this hornet invaded a tarantula's nest and they fought to the death, with the tarantula being owned and having the hornet's eggs laid on it.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 9:36pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, insects are the most successfull animal phylum (if Im thinking of the right word) in the world. About half of the worlds animal population belongs solely to insects

In reference to the video the problem isnt so much the japanese hornets, but rather the honeybees that they're attacking. The honey bees were introduced by humans to the japan mainland, where they were ill equipped to deal with the japanese hornets.

Heres where **** starts to get really interesting though- evolution at its best, the honeybees have discovered a way to fight back:

I dont know quite how the honey bees figured this one out, but they can survive at higher temperatures than can the japanese hornets (by about 2 degrees celcius if that). Normally, a hornet attack is carried out as follows: a hornet scout goes out for the day, finds a nest, checks it out and goes back to get reinforcements and commence the slaughter. The trick now is simply killing the scout before it has a chance to return to its own hive

Heres how the honey bees go about doing this- when the hornet approaches the nest entrance, all the bees back up so as to "invite" the hornet in to check out the space and see whats on the inside. Once inside, hundreds of bees pounce on the hornet scout and smother him while they violently move their wings and appendages to turn up the heat. Since the honey bees can survive at a higher temperature, the hornet will die of a heat stroke before the attacking bees will, and the nest is saved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 9:47pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    First off, insects are the most successfull animal phylum (if Im thinking of the right word) in the world. About half of the worlds animal population belongs solely to insects

In reference to the video the problem isnt so much the japanese hornets, but rather the honeybees that they're attacking. The honey bees were introduced by humans to the japan mainland, where they were ill equipped to deal with the japanese hornets.

Heres where **** starts to get really interesting though- evolution at its best, the honeybees have discovered a way to fight back:

I dont know quite how the honey bees figured this one out, but they can survive at higher temperatures than can the japanese hornets (by about 2 degrees celcius if that). Normally, a hornet attack is carried out as follows: a hornet scout goes out for the day, finds a nest, checks it out and goes back to get reinforcements and commence the slaughter. The trick now is simply killing the scout before it has a chance to return to its own hive

Heres how the honey bees go about doing this- when the hornet approaches the nest entrance, all the bees back up so as to "invite" the hornet in to check out the space and see whats on the inside. Once inside, hundreds of bees pounce on the hornet scout and smother him while they violently move their wings and appendages to turn up the heat. Since the honey bees can survive at a higher temperature, the hornet will die of a heat stroke before the attacking bees will, and the nest is saved.
    Evolution is a bitch and every sci-fi book say that insects will rule the earth...that or morlocks!:offtheair

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 10:40pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fucking hate bees, hornest, wasps, etc.

I want those hornets to kill every last bee on earth.
    Then the hornets can all die of gonnorhea and rot in hell.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Ants would own them both.
    It's true:

Bullet Ant

Paraponera (F. Smith, 1858) is a genus of paraponerine ants famous for its sole species, the so-called bullet ant P. clavata, named on account of its most powerful and potent sting, the sensation of which has often been likened with that of being shot with a bullet by those who have had the misfortune to be at its receiving end. The pain caused by this insect's sting is the highest among all insect bites and is ranked as the most painful according to Schmidt Sting Pain Index. It is said that it takes a full 24 hours for the pain to recede.
    Or:

Bulldog Ant

Myrmecia, often called bull ants or jack-jumpers, are well-known in Australia for their aggressive behavior and powerful stings. The venom of these ants has approximately a 3% chance to induce anaphylactic shock in their sting victims. Until the introduction of a vaccine the stings could, if gone untreated for only a matter of hours, be lethal. These large, alert ants have characteristic large eyes and long, slender mandibles and they have superior vision, able to track and even follow, intruders from a distance of 1 meter.
    Australian ants for teh win.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:37am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi ^_^
    quite old, special note, those are Japanese Giant Hornets, not your garden variety normal sized hornets. Note the massive size diff. between the attacking hornets and defending honeybees.

Each one of those giant hornets is about the size of your thumb.
    Ugh, I shuddered at that last sentence.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Office Drone

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    Australian ants for teh win.
    Having the most venomous creatures on earth is yet another reason why Australia is not meant for human habitation

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:01am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All Australians need to do is adopt Chinese eating habits and there you go: making nature your bitch FTW!
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:28am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    All Australians need to do is adopt Chinese eating habits and there you go: making nature your bitch FTW!
    I would have to serve them to my enemies, and then I would still feel bad.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the scariest part about hornets and the like is that animals usually have some fear of you, too. Bears won't **** with you unless you do something stupid, and even then they'd rather not do it. Hornets and wasps and all that will DIE when they sting you, yet are willing to sting you anyway. They don't give a ****, so you can't scare them away.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast