Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 1:36pm

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the schedule is the same. Mon, Wed are at 6:30...Tues,Thurs are at 5:30. So how was the MT at Ronin? I have yet to see the club for its too far for me right now, but I have always heard good things from it. What was the class breakdown like?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 1:44pm

Style: EX WC NOOB to MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just was able to see the last half hour,

The were doing combo work something like a Jab, punch then kick to the leg, enforcing the counter kick to the other leg prety interesting.

The last 20 min was 3min sparring with partner rotation after each round, making everyone work on what was previously taught.

The Bonus, in my opinion, the Instructor got in and made sure he sparred with everyone.

I will probaly join, i can not make the 5:30pm classes at Bob's, and i would love to be able to do MT at least 4 times a week.

What is nice about ronin, one can take MT 6 times a week 4 early classes, 6:00 - 7:00pm mon-thur, and Twice Tues-thur from 8:30 - 9:30pm. One can take 2 classes in one night...... sweet.

And what i really wanted to see, i saw....everyone was drenched in sweat....

the Bad....No Ring...

prices are good

Will try out a class on Thursday. See what happens

will give an honest review
    Last edited by Acadian fury; 6/13/2006 1:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 1:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No ring? I find that surprising for a MT school. Yeah its too bad that Carvers only has classes 4 days a week..although I think you could go three times a night for four days when you have been there a while...I look forward to your full review.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 2:00pm

Style: EX WC NOOB to MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There Might be a ring but i did not see one!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 2:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just some clarifications

The MT schedule at Bob Carver's is:

Mon: 4:30 Open Training - 5:30 Phase 2 - 6:30 Phase 1
    Tue: Noon All levels - 4:30 Open Training - 5:30 Phase 1 - 6:30 Phase 3 - 7:30 Phase 2
    Wed: 4:30 Open Training - 5:30 Phase 2 - 6:30 Phase 1
    Thu: Noon All levels - 4:30 Open Training - 5:30 Phase 1 - 6:30 Phase 2 - 7:30 Phase 3
    Fri: 4:30 - 7:30 Open Training/Sparring
    Sat: 12:30-2:30 Open Training/Sparring

In terms of sparring, we decide whether or not individual students may participate based on their previous experience, maturity, attitude, etc. If a student comes in, and is keen to start sparring relatively early in their training, and they demonstrate that they have enough control not to be a threat to the wellbeing of other students (above and beyond a normal MT sparring session ;) ) then by all means we will allow them to spar.

If the location of Ronin is better for you, they have a good program as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 2:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now as a fellow student at the club, im just wondering how many people spar? Or are they all in the more advanced class as opposed to the newbie class im in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 2:28pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is sparring occasionally in Phase 2, and it becomes part of the regular curriculum in Phase 3. On Fridays and Saturdays there is an open sparring session, so if you are eager to jump in, talk to an instructor who is there. There are usually students around who will jump in the ring with you. Friday is usually the more popular night for sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 2:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the heads up. I do want to spar, but I think I need some time to get the basics down. Give me a few months and ill be badgering people to get in the ring and whoop me...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 3:09pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaric
    No ring? I find that surprising for a MT school. Yeah its too bad that Carvers only has classes 4 days a week..although I think you could go three times a night for four days when you have been there a while...I look forward to your full review.
    Surprisingly, I've found that a many, many MT schools do NOT have rings! I have trained in MT for 15 years now and have NEVER had a ring until this last month when we moved my MT program into a new gym that is FULLY equipped!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait how do you train for fights if not in a ring? Dont you have to get used to the space and learn the tricks/tactics of ring fighting? On top of that isint the ring the most sacred area of a MT school?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast