Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 1:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

G-Way Ninjutsu and Martial arts Academy

I could really use some help right now, because my martial arts experience is pretty limited to club mma's, so I don't know if this guy is legit, but there are many alarm bells ringing in my head. Anyway, I'll start at the beginning.

About 2 weeks ago, a new Martial Arts studio opened where I live called G-Way Ninjutsu and Martial Arts Academy. Typically when someone claims to teach Ninjutsu, I try to keep myself composed as I back away slowly, but I decided to check it out. The guy who teaches it, Paul Wilms, appeared very knowledgable, and showed me a rice scroll apparently sent from Grand Master Soke Masaaki Hatsumi (had the guys picture in the frame, but I can't read Japanese so I can't really tell). In addition, apparently his Jeet Kun Do can be traced to Bruce Lee through his teachers, but I couldn't remember the line.

What concerned me, among many things, was the way he stated that Ninjutsu was "unbeatable", and that he had fought muay thai experts and won (apparently). In addition, he said something to the effect of people new to martial arts always enjoyed his ninjutsu, which is a curious thing to say. His style of Ninjutsu, called Shugenja Ryu, is apparently founded by him, and looked like a mix of Aikido and JKD from the arm and wrist locks and other movements. I'm not stating that starting a martial art is bad necessarily, I just thought it was odd he would say it's unbeatable considering the circumstances, and then call it Ninjutsu when it looked like a syncretism between different martial arts. Also, when trying to find more information on Shugenja Ryu, I found his myspace profile as the first hit, and then nothing relevant afterwards.

The flyers he was handing out state that he teaches Ninjutsu, Jeet Kune Do, Shugenja Ryu, Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Women's Self Defense, and Lil Ninja's for kids whatever that means. It seems wierd that he's the only teacher of all of these things, considering the only certification I saw was the Ninjutsu thing from Grand Master Soke Masaaki Hatsumi.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was just bs, but I'm going to go visit a class tonight, sit in, and see what he teaches about Ninjutsu. Like I stated above, I probably don't have as much experience as you guys do, so any help you can provide tracking this guy to Bruce Lee or the Grand Master would be appreciated, as well as input on whether this guy is a fraud or not. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 1:56pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeera

The flyers he was handing out state that he teaches Ninjutsu, Jeet Kune Do, Shugenja Ryu, Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Women's Self Defense, and Lil Ninja's for kids whatever that means. It seems wierd that he's the only teacher of all of these things, considering the only certification I saw was the Ninjutsu thing from Grand Master Soke Masaaki Hatsumi.
    How old is this guy? And what are his degrees in each of these arts? If he's in his 30s, I would be highly suspect about any claims he makes. Multi-styles mean multi-red flags!

Hey, how about a copy of the flyer and a link?

Looking forward to a report of your visit....

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 3:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if his grandmaster is Hatsumi, he is a Bujinkan. They suck, run!

PS. Rice Paper Scroll = They sent him $/Visited Japan to give him $

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 3:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gain much respect for using "syncretism" in a sentence.

I think you are correct to be concerned with this:

What concerned me, among many things, was the way he stated that Ninjutsu was "unbeatable", . . .
    Which is bullshit. There is no system that is "unbeatable"--there are good and bad practitioners. There are beatable systems, certainly beatable training methods. Good teachers do not have this ego.

. . . and that he had fought muay thai experts and won (apparently).
    There are posters HERE who are very good at tracking down such claims. Get as much information as you can from him--act excited and interested. Let me put it this way, if I beat a bunch of muay thai "experts" I would not only know the dat and venue, I would have pictures hanging above my bed . . . next to Nicole Kidman's. So if he becomes "evasive" or "vague" then that is a BIG signal.

In addition, he said something to the effect of people new to martial arts always enjoyed his ninjutsu, which is a curious thing to say. His style of Ninjutsu, called Shugenja Ryu, is apparently founded by him, and looked like a mix of Aikido and JKD from the arm and wrist locks and other movements.
    That is another bad sign.

The flyers he was handing out state that he teaches Ninjutsu, Jeet Kune Do, Shugenja Ryu, Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Women's Self Defense, and Lil Ninja's for kids whatever that means.
    What . . . no iai-do?!! This is another BAD SIGN.

It seems wierd that he's the only teacher of all of these things, considering the only certification I saw was the Ninjutsu thing from Grand Master Soke Masaaki Hatsumi.
    Exactly.

Keep us informed.

Welcome to the forums . . . two drink minimum.

--J.D.
    Last edited by Doctor X; 6/12/2006 3:52pm at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 8:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once had a chat to a ninjitsu instructor who made a few claims like this, these are, to the best of my recollection, his words:

"Any ninjitsu green belt can beat a black belt in any other style"

"No one can beat a ninjitsu blackbelt, except maybe a shaolin monk from the old days"

I thought this was a tosser assertion. Quick! Lets all pretend belts actually mean something!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I went for about a half hour to see the class, and it appeared alright, just a lot of aikido with very wide stances and footwork. I asked about his other qualifications, and he said he was going to bring those, which is wierd considering. In addition, I asked him about the Muay Thai experts he defeated, and I guess I missunderstood; it was a different guy I guess, or maybe he's changing his story.

How old is this guy?
    According to his mypace profile, which is the first hit off of google for Shugenja Ryu, he is 20 years old.

Also, here is a link to the pamphlet http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...cus/img002.jpg, shows what he teaches, apparently by himself.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 9:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And he is 20 years old?

"I love the smell of bovine feces in the morning . . . the smell of . . . failure!"

--J.D.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 9:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to be nasty or anything, but did you really even have to ask about this guy??? A "twenty year old ninjer" And you wondering if he's lagit? I had this guy pegged as Bullshidoka at "ninjer. " Common! I had such high hopes after the "syncretism " comment.

:ninjafigh:qright5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 10:07pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

God, Please NO!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/26803331

Please, 20 years old, and a 4th degree!!!!!

I've got belts older than this kid. I've got a white belt which frames my Black Belt Certificate, which is 32 years old!

Whitey, please!

(All of my questions have been answered! No further comments are required!!!!!!)

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 1:08am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Shugenja is a Japanese word. Shugendo is a form of Japanese mysticism. I bet those ascetic monks were real hard-asses, what with their constant fasting and long periods sitting on their ass chanting.
    --
    L.
Page 1 of 37 1 234511 ... LastLast