Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will sometimes go for an Ouchi Gari and when the guy backs his weigh up, I'll switch to a Osoto with the same side. This requires a bit of a hop or some speed but it is good against guys my own size (90 kg) about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 7:07am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I've been taught ands seen used a lot in some competitions is this version seen at about 30 seconds where if you don't get the throw straight away rather than give up you actually hop into get better position:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0&q=osoto+gari

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 7:56am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yamashita wrote an entire book on this throw, it's quite good. Ippon masterclass series, titled, (naturally): O-soto-gari.

Two things:

Sasae/Hiza fake into O-soto. Sasae you fake with the head and the arm, a quick motion. When they react by rearing back, they have just given you o-soto as a gift. Hiza-guruma you can actually touch their knee, then spin your leg through to behind them for the o-soto. Of course, these throws also work the other way around -- o-soto into Sasae/hiza is particularly unexpected.

Hopping, hooking o-soto. It's done from a little out further to the right (your right) of their body, so that you twist in and the back of your foot is right behind the knee (his right knee, the one on your left). Hop it in, pull with your ankle. Three hops, make sure to torque with your hands as you pull with your ankle or welcome to counters-ville, population: You.

There is also a nice o-soto from a blocked harai, but I really wouldn't recommend failing your harai as a setup for o-soto.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slindsay
    One thing I've been taught ands seen used a lot in some competitions is this version seen at about 30 seconds where if you don't get the throw straight away rather than give up you actually hop into get better position:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0&q=osoto+gari
    Funny, this clip reminded me of this article I saw at bestjudo.com a while ago, whicy may be of interest for those reading this thread:

It has long been a pet-peeve of mine that Osotogari is rarely taught as it is actually performed.
    .... http://www.bestjudo.com/article4.shtml
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 9:31am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way that I can ever set this up is by attempting de ashi barai (advancing foot sweep) first.

I'll try for the sweep with my left foot. If I don't get it, the kuzushi is already there (the opponent's weight is on his right foot). So I just step forward with my left foot and reap my opponent's right leg with my right leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 3:12pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should add that as you hop, you hop in, so it starts with your foot hooked behind his knee, but at your last hop, you're all the way in. This isn't an easy thing to describe with words.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 3:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan teaches the hopping entry in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69515232199020

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/13/2006 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweetvideo. Stupid google player wont let me download it though.

Edit: Found a link to the wmv file for that video on his website. www.armhunter.com
    Last edited by elipson; 6/13/2006 10:50pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12