222115 Bullies, 3692 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: How long does it take to be proficient in MA?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6montsh ~ 1yr

24 16.90%
  • 1~2yrs

68 47.89%
  • 5yrs

42 29.58%
  • 10+yrs

8 5.63%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:07pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the topic is somewhat related (barely).... if one can become proficient in a combat sport in under 2 years of training, then why do people get their panties in a knot over people who earn their black belt in under 5 years? Doesn't the "black belt" denote proficiency in the art while senior black belt ranks indicated a level of mastery?

Office Drone

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    Since the topic is somewhat related (barely).... if one can become proficient in a combat sport in under 2 years of training, then why do people get their panties in a knot over people who earn their black belt in under 5 years? Doesn't the "black belt" denote proficiency in the art while senior black belt ranks indicated a level of mastery?
    Proficient = roughly BJJ blue belt (that takes about 1-2)

Considering our experiences with BJJ blues against BB in the McDojo arts, one must question if they're really proficient...

Beyond that, it becomes a question of what the blackbelt means to the particular art

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression you could get your black belt in 2 years. I looked at the Judo syllabus at one school and it looked like you could get it in 2 years. I could be wrong and it could only be time in grade.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proficient = roughly BJJ blue belt (that takes about 1-2)

Considering our experiences with BJJ blues against BB in the McDojo arts, one must question if they're really proficient...

Beyond that, it becomes a question of what the blackbelt means to the particular art
    But as mentioned before in this thread, if you train in a ***** manner 20 years will not be enough time to become proficient. Thus BJJ blues > "McDojo" blacks.

I suppose it does depend on what the black belt means to an art/organization.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But as mentioned before in this thread, if you train in a ***** manner 20 years will not be enough time to become proficient. Thus BJJ blues > "McDojo" blacks.

I suppose it does depend on what the black belt means to an art/organization.
    Well, our 1-2 years clause was also based on the concept of NOT training in a ***** manner, ie BJJ, Boxing, whatever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:35pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In many arts a black belt doesn't mean crap. I'm not sure I'd even call it proficient. It means you stuck with a crappy school for long enough to get your belt. Hell I have a blue belt or something in Shaolin-Do and I never once tested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, our 1-2 years clause was also based on the concept of NOT training in a ***** manner, ie BJJ, Boxing, whatever
    Yes, yes it is. (Not trying to be a jerk, but I do know what was being talked about)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:44pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if one can become proficient in a combat sport in under 2 years of training, then why do people get their panties in a knot over people who earn their black belt in under 5 years?
    Notice the part I bolded. No one gets upset if someone earns a blackbelt in under 5 years. When people get upset its more because the belt was paid for or gained because they showed up at the school for so long (IE: new belt every couple months program). If you can earn a blackbelt in under 5 years more power to you. However, a large majority of people walking around with black belts probably didn't earn it. The correct word would be, bought or maybe obtained.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    Now that I can punch/kick well enough to be considered proficient, I still think that I'm not proficient at my ability to do karate,
    You realize that doesn't make much sense.
    If you are profienct at punching and kicking with the techniques of your chosen Karate style you ARE doing Karate.
    Yes, I know that. I happen to be one of the minority of posters on Bullshido that thinks that there is more to Karate than just punching and kicking.

Quote:
    A whole lot more if you want to learn all the other stuff.
    What is this other STUFF that requires much more time?
    Since it is not punch/kick related, there's no reason for me to waste my time writing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    That was the funniest thing I've read in atleast the last 2 minutes.
    What's funny is how things taken completely out of context turn into the whole point I was supposedly getting at. Teaching someone to punch and kick is one thing, to teach them karate and not kickboxing (for example) is another.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is Karate about than Sfe ?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast