218358 Bullies, 6836 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: How long does it take to be proficient in MA?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6montsh ~ 1yr

24 16.90%
  • 1~2yrs

68 47.89%
  • 5yrs

42 29.58%
  • 10+yrs

8 5.63%
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Time to proficiency

Everytime MMA comes up with TMA (especially CMAs) eventually someone will play the "Many years to be proficient" card. :jerkit2yf

Why is this myth so prevelant? I know stupid question.

Granted the longer you do ANY activity the better you should be at it but how long does it that to reach proficiency? And why does noone ever say it takes years to be proficient in other things like basketball, Football, etc. Hell being a fighter pilot is much more complex than unarmed MA but it doesn't require years upon years to be proficient at it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because it justifies why they live in their parent's basement.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 to 2 years.
    You can use alot of the stuff you know, you have things you can make work consistantly against people of varying skill levels. Now you need experience eg. Competitionss etc.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 6/10/2006 5:32pm at .

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:30pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should see a lot of improvement in 6 months, i'd say "proficient" around 1yr if one trains hard. Obvious the ones that come in once aweek or the ones that half ass it will take longer.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 6/10/2006 5:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:32pm

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what's proficient?

Personally, if we're talking about starting from zero MA experience, I think it takes about a year of serious dedication to condition your body and learn enough proper technique if the person is truly devoted to it. Then again not all folks are the same, some could take a lot longer, especially if they go about training like a ***** (like I do). Then again I wouldn't think that's enough time to be compotent teacher, but I think the two are fairly unrelated anyway.

Keeping in with the site's doctorine I think it's more that no set ammount of time gaurantees the dude knows what the **** he's doing.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of factors to consider. How hard a student is training is probably the critical one. If they sweat, practice at home a lot, etc. They will obviously become more skilled than their fellows that don't.

Also, to become proficient in a MA for the MA's sake would take much longer (IMHO) than if you were just training a MA for self-defense/fighting. For example, I really enjoy my MA but I'm really just a beginner in the big picture of learning all the subtle differences that make it unique. On the other hand I also really enjoy mixing it up and being able to punch/kick someone really hard if I had too, stuff that I trained hard to develop early on in my training.

Now that I can punch/kick well enough to be considered proficient, I still think that I'm not proficient at my ability to do karate, I'm better than I was but I still feel uncomfortable when I'm put in a position to teach a newer student.

So 1-2 years to get in shape and used to punching/kicking/rolling. A whole lot more if you want to learn all the other stuff.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what's proficient?
    Being able to use what you learn with success on a consistent basis.

Personally, if we're talking about starting from zero MA experience, I think it takes about a year of serious dedication to condition your body and learn enough proper technique if the person is truly devoted to it. Then again not all folks are the same, some could take a lot longer, especially if they go about training like a ***** (like I do). Then again I wouldn't think that's enough time to be compotent teacher, but I think the two are fairly unrelated anyway.
    It is about how you train and effective training yeilds effective results. If you train like a ***** then 20yrs isn't enough.

There are a lot of factors to consider. How hard a student is training is probably the critical one. If they sweat, practice at home a lot, etc. They will obviously become more skilled than their fellows that don't.
    Obviously but its not just how HARD but more HOW. If you train wrong it doesn't matter how hard you do it.

What I mean by this is that the reason BJJ, JUDO, MT, WRESTLING, KK, etc develop good fighters in a shorter amount of time is because their training methdology allows for constant real feedback. You start applying what you learn right from the start.

Also, to become proficient in a MA for the MA's sake would take much longer (IMHO) than if you were just training a MA for self-defense/fighting.
    WHAT? MA is about FIGHTING. Thats its only requirement. How the fighting is done falls into Self Defense and or Killing or suduing an opponent.

For example, I really enjoy my MA but I'm really just a beginner in the big picture of learning all the subtle differences that make it unique
    Uhm OK. If what makes it unique is so subtle what good is it?

Now that I can punch/kick well enough to be considered proficient, I still think that I'm not proficient at my ability to do karate,
    You realize that doesn't make much sense.

If you are profienct at punching and kicking with the techniques of your chosen Karate style you ARE doing Karate.

A whole lot more if you want to learn all the other stuff.
    What is this other STUFF that requires much more time?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read a book called Chinaboy. This Chinese kid was getting beat up alot. An old blackman told him to go to the YMCA to learn how to box. He did. It took many months and it could've even a year before he was beating up the kids who picked on him.

Oh and you idiots better not think he was learning Chinese boxing at the freakin YMCA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:58pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that I can punch/kick well enough to be considered proficient, I still think that I'm not proficient at my ability to do karate,
    That was the funniest thing I've read in atleast the last 2 minutes.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 6:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a Tomiki practioner tell me Asia that he learned a hell of a lot more than he did at the Aikido(hombu) organization you were in before. Styles that test their skills seem to progress the fastest and most efficient.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast