Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    In the first throw, Misaki sort of hooked the leg and then did more of a trip -- that one looks more like Osoto.
    This makes the throw an osoto-gake. In the clip, the first is a gake; the second, I think, could be argued either way, gari or gake.

From what I've seen, people attempting osoto in competition more often than not finish as a gake - it's not easy to get a proper (classical) gari in against a resisting opponent; easier to hook the leg and drive. It's also hard to set up a proper osoto-gari without the gi; you can't really draw uke into position.

As for Repulse Monkey, in my experience there's a significant difference in footwork between judo and tai chi - well, not so much footwork, as the general theory of movement - in any case, I'm not seeing tai chi here.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 12:16am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if I mis-called the use of gake -- I just went to judoinfo.com to search for gake throws.

As for the differences between judo and tai chi footwork/movement, I'd like to hear your take on it. My experience has been that they're fairly similar, with the major difference being judo's emphasis on creating movement in the opponent by pulling -- but I've always chalked that up to gi usage, as opposed to a disparity in fundamental theory.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234