Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I think the greater sin is that some CMAs have fruity postures that can't be easily deciphered into applications.
    I'd say it was pretty much every CMA I'd ever seen had at least one fruity posture which can't be deciphered into an application.

I think we had a thread on this where it was said that if you trained similar material, you might be able to pick out the intent of an open-air demo of a move, but it seems to be a waste as far as presenting your system that way. Blah blah blah kata/forms has other training benefits i know.
    I think we've had a million threads on this. Suffice to say that people who train in Tai Chi and then enter San Shou comps don't just train by the doing the slow form and a bit of gentle push hands.

I think the site is under construction, so it'll likely surface soon.
    He keeps changing his site. This must be his 3rd in about 2 years. First the San Shou clips went, now the decent clips of competitors from his class drilling tai chi applications. It was probably costing him too much in bandwidth or something.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

software engineer

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 7:41am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    It was probably costing him too much in bandwidth or something.
    Sounds like a job for Youtube.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 10:23am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a specific difference between Osoto Gari and Repulse Monkey. In the former, the leg is reaped upward. Repulse Monkey actually drives the rear foot into the ground. You're actually supposed to lift both of the opponent's feet off with this, although I find it tough to get it like that.

In the first throw, Misaki sort of hooked the leg and then did more of a trip -- that one looks more like Osoto. The second one is a little more consistent with the way RM is taught, although Misaki landed the leg first and then drove forward like a ************, as opposed to offsetting up top and then using the turn of the hip for power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 10:54am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Repulse Monkey actually drives the rear foot into the ground. You're actually supposed to lift both of the opponent's feet off with this, although I find it tough to get it like that.
    kinda like nidan kosoto gari or gake (double outside sweep)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 11:21am

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, finally someone in high-level MMA who'll use a throw without clinching for thirty seconds first.

(Yeah, I know, Fedor- but he's our lord and savior; we mortal men and women can't do what he does:biblethum )

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osoto gari.

The end.
    More human than human is our motto.

Moron

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 3:24pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    There is a specific difference between Osoto Gari and Repulse Monkey. In the former, the leg is reaped upward. Repulse Monkey actually drives the rear foot into the ground. You're actually supposed to lift both of the opponent's feet off with this, although I find it tough to get it like that.
    We take the one leg only with our RM. The second takedown on the clip is almost classically how we do it, with the leg stamping through to the floor, rather than hooking up. The only way we do it different is that we try to 'push' the head rather than tug across the shoulders.

But more or less it is repulse monkey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 3:50pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should clarify that we're taught to go after one leg, but that the drive downward should be deep enough to pass the other leg if it's there -- effectively placing the person parallel to the ground in the process.

Babo, not like Kosoto Gari or any of the gake throws, because you're using your inside leg. Picture Osoto Gari, but instead of reaping upward with the leg, drive downward. Very similar. I haven't poked around, but I'd actually be surprised if there weren't a judo equivalent.

Fanatical, have you studied either judo or tai chi before, or are you just being a pain in the ass?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some years of crappy Jujitsu on my ass. A setup we use is off a kick check to jump forward for the osoto gari with that exact use of just hooking the neck as you come in.

Tai chi was one of my first attempt at starting MA's. The instructor said there weren't any combat application instructors in this country that he knew of and that a young whippersnapper like myself would be better off choosing something with a little more action. So apart of looking cool in the mirror doing a single whip, my Tai Chi knowledge is non-existant.

I do know an osoto gari when I see one though. Does Misaki train Tai Chi? or something since this OG variation is considered repulsing the monkey? I'm not saying RM might be very similar to this, but like I said, I see an osoto gari. And if he hasn't trained a lot of Tai Chi, that's an osoto gari. Had he on the other hand at some point in his life decided to train and fight MMA with Tai Chi then it would of course be a whole different story.

I'm not being an ass, I called it how I saw it. And I've specifically trained a combo that goes just like this, checking with the far leg to "jump" over for osoto gari or checking with the near leg to "jump" for a kosoto gake. I'm no 20+ year Judoka sadly no. So you may take my comment with as huge grains of salt as you want.

And is I don't know if there's a Ju equivalent of RM. The closest I can think of is osoto otoshi, just a stepping trip.
    Last edited by fanatical; 6/11/2006 5:44pm at .
    More human than human is our motto.

software engineer

Posted On:
    6/11/2006 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    And is I don't know if there's a Ju equivalent of RM. The closest I can think of is osoto otoshi, just a stepping trip.
    If there isn't, then it's cool that the two's execution domains sort of blur into each others'. Even without knowing taichi, Misaki did a plant because it would work. Hunh, funny thing, how alive training does that to you.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast