nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They gimped GPS technology on account of the potential for terrorist abuse
    it won't be any different with this new stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 7:46pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reese
    They gimped GPS technology on account of the potential for terrorist abuse
    it won't be any different with this new stuff.
    The security screening aspect of this is just a small part of the potential here. Imagine a criminal justice system where the minute you are accused of a crime you can just say: "don't tell me anything about the crime, i want to be tested to show i don't know enough about it to be the criminal"... If this were the standard way of thinking, there would be very few false convictions...

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 7:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tthe brains behind any criminal organization do not set themselves up to take the fall, that's what patsies are for. you think Bin Laden is going to run a plane into a building physically? No but he may be more than willing to guide a bomb using brain interface technology.

That's more of what I was inferring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tthe brains behind any criminal organization do not set themselves up to take the fall, that's what patsies are for. you think Bin Laden is going to run a plane into a building physically? No but he may be more than willing to guide a bomb using brain interface technology.

Yeah but...
    This technology doesn't exactly work that way. It can measure the brain's response to stimuli on a computer screen for instance... it's not something where your brain directly interfaces with a computer and reads your thoughts. Thus, this technology isn't very realistic for guiding bombs...we can already do that just fine anyways.
    2nd...most crimes are not of the organized nature where you have a mastermind who is behind the scenes...regardless...if you used this technology to catch the underling henchman, he might just give up his boss as part of a plea bargain...shrug... My limited experience with criminal investigations and having a parent who was a dep. director in the FBI lead me to believe these types of objections result from watching too much tv...not from realistic problems that are being faced in law enforcement.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 8:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Yeah but...
    This technology doesn't exactly work that way. It can measure the brain's response to stimuli on a computer screen for instance... it's not something where your brain directly interfaces with a computer and reads your thoughts. Thus, this technology isn't very realistic for guiding bombs...we can already do that just fine anyways.
    2nd...most crimes are not of the organized nature where you have a mastermind who is behind the scenes...regardless...if you used this technology to catch the underling henchman, he might just give up his boss as part of a plea bargain...shrug... My limited experience with criminal investigations and having a parent who was a dep. director in the FBI lead me to believe these types of objections result from watching too much tv...not from realistic problems that are being faced in law enforcement.
    1. I didn't infer that brain interface technology could "read your thoughts"

and "guiding bombs" is just a simple example of how one could interact with any number of devices in any number of crimes including remote spying,monitoring and remotely detonating a "human bomb".

2. If "most crimes" are not using high technology then your whole point of avoiding prosecution through pleading ignorance to tech savvy kind of loses some of it's steam then...

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 8:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Im doing research with a company (http://www.brainwavescience.com/) that uses similar technology that can do what you saw in the article and a bit more. Neurophysiology is really about to take off as a commercial science. Not only can we now use brain response in order to allow people to communicate via a headband only (and this isn't quite as straightforward as you might be thinking), but we can also use this technology to detect alzheimers years before conventional tests, and we can tell if specific information is or is not stored in the brain (ie it can be used to tell if someone has knowledge of a crime that only the perpetrator would know or someone has undergone terrorist training, things that someone innocent would claim to have no knowledge of). The big new research is in advertising. We can tell how people are responding to ads, and scientifically determine if they really like them. This is going to be one of the next big things:)

Ahhh, pardon, I missed this post and It seems we are arguing on two different aspects of this type of technology...

I see the point you were getting at now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 10:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I didn't infer that brain interface technology could "read your thoughts"

and "guiding bombs" is just a simple example of how one could interact with any number of devices in any number of crimes including remote spying,monitoring and remotely detonating a "human bomb".

2. If "most crimes" are not using high technology then your whole point of avoiding prosecution through pleading ignorance to tech savvy kind of loses some of it's steam then...
    1. This technology is not (and is not likely to be) practical for guiding bombs. Period. Trust me, I know a bit about how it works... We have plenty of other, more useful solutions for guiding and remotely detonating weapons. Further, the POINT of a human bomb is that you don't need to detonate the bomb remotely because you have a HUMAN wearing/carrying/driving it who can detonate the bomb at exactly the right time.

2. What I said was that, to my knowledge, most crimes don't involve a master criminal working behind the scenes. Regardless, this technology would be invaluable in helping law enforcement eliminate false leads and in proving a suspect committed the crime once they have been identified. A retired FBI agent working for our company estimates that this technology could be useful in 70-80 percent of crimes committed. Obviously, in crimes like abductions where law enforcement officials don't know the salient details, we don't have much that we can test a suspect for. In cases where the suspect has already been told all the facts by media or law enforcement officials, we cannot test the suspects as they already have legitimate reasons for knowing the things we are testing for. However, in most cases, there is information about a crime that only someone who was involved in the crime, and law enforcement officials know. If we can show that a suspect knows such information, but does not have legitimate reasons for doing so, then this can be (and has been) used in court as evidence for a conviction.
    Last edited by xingyifa; 6/10/2006 10:05pm at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/...l-plane-lg.jpg

Oh snap!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 11:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    War phalange has teh d3adly.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am trying to create a device that will let me shoot remote control armbars.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast