Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 6:44am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, who has ever failed a grading?

Or their club mates.

Reply with the school name in the reply title. Then put the style, belt/level and official (and unofficial if needed) reasons given in the message body. Lets see a list of places that might properly test its students by its willingness to fail them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 7:16am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread really belongs in YMAS....I do believe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could be right, but I believe my question:

- Asks for a personal experience as "Serious discussion" on which schools exactly are not "McDojos"
    - proof of not being a "questionable Martial Artist"
    - "fight fraud in the Martial Arts" by contributing specific examples of definitely not being fraud

It is a closed question not interested in anybody's philosophy, only their measureable experience (at least as honest as internet posts could be expected).

I do not my question buried between the avalanche of "pics of disaster"/YouTube links in YMAS, and it does not claim anyones MA sucks.

An interesting alternative could be unusual grading pre requisites. I read about a MA school in London that (at least used to) only allow the black belt grading after at least six months of regular bouncing experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 8:16am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, anyone giving out a BB in 6 months needs to be shot. I actually earned mine early, and it only took 4 years. No, I have not failed any of my tests "yet", however I have one coming up this Feb...so who knows ? Now I have seen people in Uechi Fail test's up to the rank of Sandan. I witnessed this @ Frank Gormans dojo in Clearwater Fl.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Newcastle University Jitsu Club

I've seen (Well I wasn't actually in the grading but y'know) people fail:

White -> Yellow (8th -> 7th kyu)

Orange -> Green (6th -> 5th kyu)

Brown -> Black (1st kyu -> 1st dan)

Newcastle Univeristy Judo Club

I've seen people fail:

Low green to high green (4th-5th kyu)

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 9:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lost all my matches at my first grading (three out of three).

Oh the shame.

Edit: So err yeah, I've seen 'people' get failed from 9th to 8th. I wasn't the only one that day though, people from all levels got decked, that's just judo.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 1/12/2007 9:02am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 9:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I did Karate:
    West of Scotland Karate Association - failed my 1st Dan. This crowd used to fail people all the time, so nothing unusual there.
    A few years later, 3 of us from the same club were tested for 2nd Dan by Harry Cook. 2 out 3 failed.

Nowadays, while I've not failed any Judo gradings yet, plenty of people do. Judo Scotland requires you to win competitive matches to progress up the ranks and where you get winners, you get losers.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no gradings in BJJ (well, I hear a few schools do it, but it is somewhat taboo). If you've put in time on the mat, competed, and can consitantly beat people at your level and can give the guys at the level above you a run for your money then you get your rank. That's how I earned my blue belt.

I'm not a friend of gradings myself. I know too many people who freeze up during tests but are very knowlegable and I know those who can past any and all tests with no problem but don't retain any knowledge or pratical skills from that information. Anyone who has been in the Army and know how the promotion board works knows what I am talking about.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have never seen anyone fail one of our tests, but that is because we have them go through a "pre-test" a few days before the test itself. if the student isn't 100% ready, they are told "you are not ready to test."

and THAT is a really common occurance.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast