Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 5:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    I don't have a problem with acknowledging the origins of techniques of one Fist toward another. However, I've gone through so much researching, reading and delving into what makes Chinese Martial Arts that I've come to understand what it offers as a whole, really.

Which in turn frustrates me whenever I witness those practicing some form of Kung Fu and completely regulating themselves to static techniques and holding onto lineages as if they were the word of God.

There is no "reaching" here. It is what it is and if it's there, then it's there.
    But thareat's just me, really.
    KM are you fluent in Japanese and any Chinese dialect or Fukinese. This is an honest question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 6:19pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    Are you saying techniques have no part in distinguishing arts from one another? Only "principles", or "concepts"?
    To an extent, yes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 8:46pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    That was a funny video. If you are going to drill something on the ground, isolate and drill. If you are going to roll, roll. But please dont do compliant drills that go beyond just armbar, reset, armbar. We dont need grappling kata. Learn your techniques, then spar.

And guard jumping is for pussys. Real men learn how to throw people.

well said - I agree with everything cept the jumping guard part.

This was true crappling - the sweep would not work on anyone.

It is better than nothing but nothing to record and post on the internet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 10:24am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    km, chinese martial arts might/could/can offer more than it is at its present stage, but the teachers are lacking.

And if you agree that the chinese material might/could/can overlap with other non-chinese arts that offer better teachers, then for the sake of 'research' its more worthwhile to learn from them.

For example, in my 'taming the tiger' form, we footwalk in a sequence. Now, the applications i got ranged from 'i dont know' to basically a more prosed version of 'i dont know'.

Simple standup sparring in bjj, i get pulled, i footwalk by ingrained reflex instead of taking a step foward. (might/might not be the real application from the form, again i cant be sure, and who would care anyways?)

From halfguard to sidemount, the transition was done with the aid of footwalking.

What i mean to say, the environment has given more lead/clues in the forms than when i trained in the dark.

Without knowing a dialect of chinese, that is the best research i can do now and at the present time its more worthwhile than going through litterature.

That is just one example, another was with the animal fist themselves that was purely random, my grip on the gi was sorely lacking. Then they showed me a few grips. A sleave grip shaped in a panther fist. A collar grip shaped in a crane fist (the idea was to use your thumb against your fingers). And basically how to grip other regions (dont use your thumb), which could explain the 'one finger pointing to heaven' fist.

I could be wrong on so many levels also, but i think you get my point.

Go with the ferrari, and keep the old car for fun.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    footwalk?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 3:04pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well take one foot, pivot on its ball to move the heel, then pivot on the heel to move the ball, repeat sequence.

It probably has a better name other than footwalk, thats how i heard it refered to in bjj.

Alone and without context, doing it in a form was a '???' of the highest degree.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678