Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    I had the same kind of experience as Emevas. I'm used to sparring people either under "Sport Karate Rules" (old karate habits), or "Kickboxing Rules" with headgear and boxing gloves. Of course, I haven't worked stand up in over four years...but I'm well aware of my suckiness.

Anyway, I immediately came in and got jacked in the cup and smacked before I knew what hit me. It might look like his kicks and strikes are "Slappy"...but they hurt even at pulled-strength. At that point I developed a little "Clyde Phobia".

Sort of blows your confidence, if you know what I mean.

Whatever Clyde does, it works. Were he within driving distance, I would certainly slap on a white belt and train under him.

Hey Clyde, maybe you should bring some boxing gloves and headgear this weekend and work with some kickboxers. Last time several people had video cameras, and Henry mentioned that a bunch of different people might be showing up.

Maybe they'll believe the "umph" in your punches when you punch through boxing gloves.

Clyde Phobia LOL.

I think I've got some in my trunk I've been carrying around. I bought some at the swap meet a few years ago and never had a chance to use them. I'll look this afternoon and get them cleaned up if they're there. I don't have any headgear, I don't normally need it. I figure if they've got their hand in my face and my foot isn't in their midsection keeping it from hitting me, I deserve what I get LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 6:43am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    I thought it was pretty obvious the Clyde wasn't really trying in the vid. I mean seriously, how hard does he have to go to fight lower level students? I thought the vid was more to affirm that he lets his students spar (often with him as the training dummy). I hadn't even looked on this thread until now, so if I missed some previously made, good points, bite me. We should be encouraging sparring, right? Please tell me if I am missing something.

When was the last time you saw a 44yo 7th degree instructor, in any art, slap leather with his students? You're right, I'm setting the example so they know it works, and they won't doubt what I teach. Doubt leads to failure and I teach success, and feeling me successfully defend their attack leads to their confidence level being higher, not mine. I prove what I say will work, and my students know this, so they work their asses off to do what I do so they don't have to eat so many kicks and punches either.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    I thought it was pretty obvious the Clyde wasn't really trying in the vid. I mean seriously, how hard does he have to go to fight lower level students? I thought the vid was more to affirm that he lets his students spar (often with him as the training dummy). I hadn't even looked on this thread until now, so if I missed some previously made, good points, bite me. We should be encouraging sparring, right? Please tell me if I am missing something.
    The thread didn't reach its current length because of any of this. It was never in question whether he was sparring hard or whether that was a good thing.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    The thread didn't reach its current length because of any of this. It was never in question whether he was sparring hard or whether that was a good thing.
    True.

He was all like "you don't have to tuck your chin" and we were all like "uh-huh" and he was like "nuh-uh gaylords!" and we were all like "you do so sassy britches!" and then he was like "video power GO!" and his vid he tucked his chin pretty well so w/e but the thread is, like still going.

it's a bummer.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No that was the other one.
    I figured that one would end up with his conception of not tucking the chin being close to most other people's idea of tucking the chin.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324