1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo Original Method

Posted On:
    6/19/2006 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    You live in Fullerton, and I've had two local Throwdowns, one in Norco and another in Rancho Cucamonga, and we didn't see you. There's another next weekend in N. San Diego, I'll be there, you can make your assessment. To see and hear is to deceive, to feel is to believe.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    I thought about going to it but I can't make the San Diego one since I have a credentialing test I have to take. However, I regret not knowing about the Rancho one. If there's another one in this area soon, I'll be there for sure. I'm 39 years old 5'10" tall and weigh around 220 or so so it should be a pretty good match up.

Incidently, I wasn't saying that you sucked, just that you've never posted anything that you've been able to say, "Here's a real example of how skilled I am."
    Every time you post something, you're either going half-speed or else your just fucking around with someone.

I hope you're not defending the skill of those guys in PA. though. A blind man could have exploited those openings.
    "I'll Try To Be Nicer, If You'll Try To Be Smarter "

"When You Are Standing on the Edge of a Cliff a Step Forward Is Not Progress "

"Stonehenge, where the demons dwell, where the banshees live and they do it well..."

Posted On:
    6/19/2006 8:42pm

Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Danjo do you do Martials Arts?

I was curious if you are a Martial Artist.
    If so what one of the styles do you do?
    Or maybe you do more than one style:icon_bigg

:blob9: I like this one:new_rainb

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 3:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read about 17 pages of this train wreck and all that I will add is that Clyde caught on camera there a solid case of "sensei-phobia" as I call it. The second guy fighting him had a crap load of energy and no will to actually inflict harm upon his teacher. I understand it was light/half speed contact, but when your fighting someone flat footed with their hands down, not making any effort to defend themself it should be common sense to clock them upside the head or in the face. All he seemed to do was kick you in the shin, and endless parry/trap the air in front of your body while occasionally slapping your lowered hands and/or arm.

Your students vastly overestimated what you intended to do, and your laid back posture, regardless of your intentions ended up intimidating them even more. I've had it happen to me when I was younger in my training, and I've put this theory to the test on students of my own. I've fought 3 adult students at the same time about 2 years ago when I was a first degree black belt, and I was completely free to dance around like a TKDer on crack, smacking them and side kicking them at will.

Had it been 3 amatuer boxers who didn't know or fear me, I woulda been hospitalized back then. Clyde, I'd recommend getting your students over their fear of hitting you, or if you do enjoy that kind of mental power then at least fix those slap happy habits when they spar each other.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 6:45am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I read about 17 pages of this train wreck and all that I will add is that Clyde caught on camera there a solid case of "sensei-phobia" as I call it. The second guy fighting him had a crap load of energy and no will to actually inflict harm upon his teacher. I understand it was light/half speed contact, but when your fighting someone flat footed with their hands down, not making any effort to defend themself it should be common sense to clock them upside the head or in the face. All he seemed to do was kick you in the shin, and endless parry/trap the air in front of your body while occasionally slapping your lowered hands and/or arm.

Your students vastly overestimated what you intended to do, and your laid back posture, regardless of your intentions ended up intimidating them even more. I've had it happen to me when I was younger in my training, and I've put this theory to the test on students of my own. I've fought 3 adult students at the same time about 2 years ago when I was a first degree black belt, and I was completely free to dance around like a TKDer on crack, smacking them and side kicking them at will.

Had it been 3 amatuer boxers who didn't know or fear me, I woulda been hospitalized back then. Clyde, I'd recommend getting your students over their fear of hitting you, or if you do enjoy that kind of mental power then at least fix those slap happy habits when they spar each other.

Which is once again, why I go to Throwdowns, they don't know what I do, don't care what I do, and their intent is to hit or throw me. Do they all have Sifuphobia when I can do the same thing to people I don't know? It generally takes me about 30 seconds to guage someone's skill, and I'll posture accordingly to their skill level. You've never seen videos of some of the people I've trained for over 10 years, they can and do hit me, sadly for me because they're using the stuff I taught them. This forces creation on my part to expand my defenses even more.

My students don't have a fear of hitting me, in fact I encourage them to do so, hence the reluctance to throw anything. They've been tagged on their weaknesses, now, they're feeling the waters and attempting to create openings thru deception.

I really don't know how you guys are getting these ideas off a 30 second vid, it's all speculation on your part as to what I do. For those that have stood in front of me (Omega, Emevas, Satori, Hurt), they're telling you exactly what you're seeing, nothing more.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde, I mean no disrespect, I'm only commenting on what I saw in the video. I'm sure if you randomly video taped me teaching a class you might end up catching some things that I'd be ripped apart for to. Especially with something as unchoreographed as sparring. Was just my 2 cents on what I saw there.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know Clyde when I first sparred him. I saw the same exact stance and had the same thought as you KF. I rushed him and got clocked real fast and took a good kick to my gut that knocked all the wind out of me.

It's not Sensei-phobia, it's fear of getting kicked in the gut and balls a phobia.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Clyde, I mean no disrespect, I'm only commenting on what I saw in the video. I'm sure if you randomly video taped me teaching a class you might end up catching some things that I'd be ripped apart for to. Especially with something as unchoreographed as sparring. Was just my 2 cents on what I saw there.

As I've said before, I'm a defensive fighter, and I'll draw you in to my weapons by exposing targets. Just when you think it's an easy target or takedown, the hammer falls, forcing reevaluation of methods of attack. It's an ambush tactic, I know how you have to hit what I have exposed and I've readied a counter.

If what you do works, wonderful, but you're condemning an unknown, and it ain't what it looks like when it's standing in front of you.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 12:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the same kind of experience as Emevas. I'm used to sparring people either under "Sport Karate Rules" (old karate habits), or "Kickboxing Rules" with headgear and boxing gloves. Of course, I haven't worked stand up in over four years...but I'm well aware of my suckiness.

Anyway, I immediately came in and got jacked in the cup and smacked before I knew what hit me. It might look like his kicks and strikes are "Slappy"...but they hurt even at pulled-strength. At that point I developed a little "Clyde Phobia".

Sort of blows your confidence, if you know what I mean.

Whatever Clyde does, it works. Were he within driving distance, I would certainly slap on a white belt and train under him.

Hey Clyde, maybe you should bring some boxing gloves and headgear this weekend and work with some kickboxers. Last time several people had video cameras, and Henry mentioned that a bunch of different people might be showing up.

Maybe they'll believe the "umph" in your punches when you punch through boxing gloves.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 3:08am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always bring plenty of gear for people. I might even grab a new pair of cheap everlast gloves before I show up (my old ones are falling apart).
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 6:05am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was pretty obvious the Clyde wasn't really trying in the vid. I mean seriously, how hard does he have to go to fight lower level students? I thought the vid was more to affirm that he lets his students spar (often with him as the training dummy). I hadn't even looked on this thread until now, so if I missed some previously made, good points, bite me. We should be encouraging sparring, right? Please tell me if I am missing something.
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24 LastLast