Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:17am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's put this thread to sleep with the fishes like it would've been in about 5 posts had people just answered some simple, polite questions.

That stance is used because---
    • turning sideways gives you a reach advantage with your lead leg
    • keeping the hands down with the lead leg (made available by the sideways stance) there to stuff an attack and keep distance reduces the risk of getting punched on the chin
    • keeping the hands down is a necessity to conserve energy to allow sparring to continue for long periods
    • keeping the hands down can help maintain one's punching power as the sparring continues because if you keep your hands up and your shoulders get tired then they'll also get stiff. When your shoulders get stiff you lose punching power because they cannot transfer power from your legs into your fist
    • by keeping the hands low one is forced to use body movement to avoid attack. If your hands are up then your natural reaction is to just take the pummeling on your arms, which still hurts you.
    • We in kenpo train for the street, not sport! Therefore, we keep our chins up to keep our vision open to other attackers and escape routes.
    • Stance isn't important to me because like my teacher I can drop peeps without actually touching them.
    • Keeping the chin up and hands down lets the attacker know you're confident in your ability to hurt him and helps defeat him psychologically
    • turning sideways protects your balls better than squaring up
    • Because Kid is a lesbian
    • when your hands are down you'll be punching from unusual angles that will be hard for an opponent to avoid
    • chin up because you should always look at whatever you want to hit-- like a marksman
    Last edited by BumFu; 6/14/2006 1:35am at .

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 6:49am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the bottom line, can you do what I do? If not, why not? With all your TRADITIONAL stances and idelolgy, have you got something better? For those that have put on the gloves with me, most have found what I do to be very restrictive in their attack, and for others, an impossible barrier to penetrate. And guess what, they learned something from it by experiencing it for themselves, and I learned just as much from them attempting or breaking it. So, until you come up with something better and can prove it empirically, what's all the fuss about?

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 8:31am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeping the chin up and hands down lets the attacker know you're confident in your ability to hurt him and helps defeat him psychologically
    I know I'm taking this out of context, but I can't help but wonder how getting your jaw broken is going to defeat your opponent psychologically? :icon_mrgr
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:56am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone that has trained Stand-up at a high level of contact knows that your trainer will give you openings and bait you all the time.

He'd be a pretty shitty trainer if he didn't try to take you out of your comfort zone and identify weaknesses.

My Kickboxing trainer used to TKD point spar me during Kickboxing rounds just to annoy me. I still couldn't beat him because he was that much better but it did make me learn how to approach different styles and fighters. Nothing is more humiliating than going for a big leg kick on a rube who practically has his back to you and then getting hook kicked in the face by the leg you thought you were going to kick.

If you can't understand that you need to re-evaluate your stand-up training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    I know I'm taking this out of context, but I can't help but wonder how getting your jaw broken is going to defeat your opponent psychologically? :icon_mrgr
    Read this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34561

This will explain why it keeps up with the jaw.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    No one has seen you compete so for all we know you suck. Just because you train at a high caliber school doesn't make you great by association. You keep playing this card, like another member who ate a whole crow pie. That is why I say holier than thou.
    This is moot. Clyde was specifically using throwdowns as justification of what he does and his skill (relative to throwdown participants and his skill relative to students).
    Anyone who has watched more than a handful of throwdown videos knows that is a ridiculous justification. My own skill, either good or bad, is immaterial and was not something I ever brought up.
    The only reason competition came up was in regards to Clyde's comment about the actual benifits of sparring with people you're not that familiar with. A comment I do agree with.

You never just ask questions you demand. I actually agree with you on some points but you don't deserve answers anymore than I do. This is something you seem to miss.
    On this thread my early posts were 21, 24, 25 28 34 37 and an assorted mullet comment or two.
    I looked back at them to check and still fail to see how anything I wrote could be construed as "demanding". I was genuinely interested because of my own experience and because by all accounts Clyde far surpasses my standup skill.
    Examples as to why:

Ahh I'm critiquing his attitude not his skill. I'm using examples at to why his questions weren't answered. I did not say he has no right to question. I said he doesn't deserve answers.
    Go back to the beginning I don't feel I copped any attitude until Clyde showed himself to be an ass. His responses to any questions were insults re:blindness and being a lesbian.

Clyde didn't answer any of my questions except by insult until post 112.
    To which another poster said:
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    If you had said this 2 pages ago this thread would be over. Why do people always have to drag answers out of the "Older guys" I just don't understand the motivation.

This speaks volumes. It actually explains quite a bit of your character. Oh yeah, he did answer questions until, YOU became a dick.
    Actually it was the other way around. When I was politely asking the questions I got insulted. Go back and look. You fucked up the chronology.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Anyone that has trained Stand-up at a high level of contact knows that your trainer will give you openings and bait you all the time.

He'd be a pretty shitty trainer if he didn't try to take you out of your comfort zone and identify weaknesses.

My Kickboxing trainer used to TKD point spar me during Kickboxing rounds just to annoy me. I still couldn't beat him because he was that much better but it did make me learn how to approach different styles and fighters. Nothing is more humiliating than going for a big leg kick on a rube who practically has his back to you and then getting hook kicked in the face by the leg you thought you were going to kick.

If you can't understand that you need to re-evaluate your stand-up training.
    Absolutely. THis is true in grappling as well. It is incredibly frustrating to go as hard and tight as you can and know your opponent is still playing with you.

I wish Clyde had just said that to begin with instead of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Here's a vid of me going at it with some of our guys in Pittsburgh for those that asked to see me do what I do. Mind you, I'm not going at them hard and heavy, just letting them get a taste of what they WILL be able to do later.

and

Dude, I posted this because I thought it was cool, and to show some of the other guys here a LITTLE of what I do so they could get an idea of how I move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 2:57am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And by that same token Clyde obviously isn't going to throw a punch to the base of the guy's neck (had to actually watch some of the video to figure what you guys were talking about). As for why he uploaded the thing, I have no clue, obviously it was a bad idea given all of this.

You said somthing along the lines of "he says kai to show them their mistakes as opposed to hitting them". Now look above, the back of the neck moment you are talking about is when his oppoent is lieing face down on the floor. Does his oppoent really need to hear him say "Kai" to understand that being face down on the floor with someone standing over you is a bad position?

Im just messing, but you can kinda see a point to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 3:41am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    This is moot. Clyde was specifically using throwdowns as justification of what he does and his skill (relative to throwdown participants and his skill relative to students).
    Anyone who has watched more than a handful of throwdown videos knows that is a ridiculous justification. My own skill, either good or bad, is immaterial and was not something I ever brought up.
    The only reason competition came up was in regards to Clyde's comment about the actual benifits of sparring with people you're not that familiar with. A comment I do agree with.

On this thread my early posts were 21, 24, 25 28 34 37 and an assorted mullet comment or two.
    I looked back at them to check and still fail to see how anything I wrote could be construed as "demanding". I was genuinely interested because of my own experience and because by all accounts Clyde far surpasses my standup skill.
    Go back to the beginning I don't feel I copped any attitude until Clyde showed himself to be an ass. His responses to any questions were insults re:blindness and being a lesbian.

Clyde didn't answer any of my questions except by insult until post 112.
    To which another poster said:

Actually it was the other way around. When I was politely asking the questions I got insulted. Go back and look. You fucked up the chronology.

Absolutely. THis is true in grappling as well. It is incredibly frustrating to go as hard and tight as you can and know your opponent is still playing with you.

I wish Clyde had just said that to begin with instead of:

he didnt have to for most people

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:58pm

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Props for posting vid.

As other people have said, you guys need more footwork :) Not bad though. Also you seem to stand almost backwards (when standing sideways), someone who is good at closing the gaps would take advantage of this. It just seems like you guys go back and forth, in almost a straight line, which is ok, I used to do this in my Karate/TKD/Kempo days as well. One good thing would be working on counters and entering strategy, instead of just blocking, and THEn following with a kick, work on moving outside of the punch and attacking from outside angle simultaenously, even if he moves, you move and keep exposing the angles. Maybe stick to him a little bit, this is one good thing I learned from IMA.

Of course hindsight is 20/20, and anyone can critique someone else's video. Keep training, cheers :)

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone has their sacred cows.