Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 1:05pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said it many pages ago and I'll say it again.

It looked like an exercise in ego and dick swinging.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 4:57pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me, clyde looked good, but most of the time he just stood there. The question has to be asked, can his students not even make an impression on a man standing there with his hands by his side?

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 5:05pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberts
    To me, clyde looked good, but most of the time he just stood there. The question has to be asked, can his students not even make an impression on a man standing there with his hands by his side?
    You are correct sir! If he was teaching his students how to throw hard strong blows, which he is capable of doing himself, he would need to move out of the way. I had a Kempo instructor do the same thing, he had boxed, and had us doing back fists and reverse punchs, while he threw hooks, straights and uppercuts. We always knew who was in charge, and kept trying to put power into techniques that had no hip rotation, etc. After I left anbd entered some contact schools, I realized, too late, that I had been wasting my time.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberts
    Maybe you are unclear on how point sparring works...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 5:22pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you are unclear on how point sparring works...
    No, Not at all. Full force or not, they didnt make 1/4 the impresson on him as he did on them. The didnt land a kick, do a takedown. I saw pleanty of punches to the arm and side, while clyde point sparred by thowing head kicks and hooks to the face.

Im sure the rules were the same for both of them.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you trying to say that his students suck?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 5:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hal 9000 reports that those aren't Clyde's direct students; they're from PA

'that's an entirely reliable figure' - :hal:

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    What would be the purpose of footwork movement? Why do I need to move?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    I know kempo demos (especially in the Tatum world) are supposed to be one-sided powermetal solos except with bigger mullets, but your students had flat footwork too. I've seen my share of bad pointfighting and that didn't look any different, aside from underpowered leg kicks.

The dipped foam and mandatory black gis really took me back... to the days when I was training in a mcdojo of similarly undeserved expanses of floor space.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 6/12/2006 5:54pm at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt
    Damn the Bullshido inquisition committee must be really fuckin' stretchin'. I gave this place a lot more credit before reading this thread. Too many "Martial Artists" in here saying "You can beat people up but your technique is very bad." What the ****, is this MAP?
    Given that Clyde is often held out there (often by Clyde himself) as an example of "Real Kempo" it is perfectly reasonable to ask whether he advocates such a stance for fighting. Particularly since it is a stance that anyone who has shifted from point sparring to nonbullshit sparring shudders to see.

He's a goddamn instructor, he should have had no problem clarifying things instead of resorting to "don't question me unless you can kick my ass".

That's the argument of an idiot and asshole who probably has no business teaching if he conducts himself similarly towards paying students.

I'm with the rest of you in that I almost totally disapprove with this methodology, but the fact you can't figure out where he's coming from shows a sincere lack of imagination. You should have been able to see what was happening from the video (reminding me of a comment I read on people not understanding sparring videos). I thought this was the place where people give up on sticking to bullshit rhetoric and focus on what fucking works. He goes to throwdowns, I don't see anyone callin' him out.
    Going to throwdowns is not indicative of skill.
    Even if Clyde is simply using the stance as a pedagogical tool to point out holes in people's games there remains the issue that it is a point sparring stance that students will imitate.
    As I've said before, my students will adopt what works for them against the majority, if they do what I do and get their ass handed to them, they'll change it until such time as they can use it or not. I don't teach others to have clones of myself, I'd rather produce a well rounded practicioner with their own signature. The ideology of what I do is what's taught, not exactly what I do.
    What teaching to you actually do then?
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass but if your method is to "let them find their own way" that seems woefully inefficient. There are methods that work out of the box.

So what it goes against every orthodox training methodology, I've found something unique, it works for me, and if my students can get it to work, good for them, so far, none have, and that's what I work with.
    Again there are methods that don't have the holes (e.g. takedown vulnerability, leg kicks) that what you showed in the video has. Why not use something that works for people at large? Do you teach your students a more kickboxing-esq stance or do you have them "find their own stance"?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/12/2006 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Clyde, why not just clarfy things from the get go?
    Why attack people asking straightforward questions?
    Why do this: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...8&postcount=25 instead of just answering questions?

And for the record, you said that this was a video to show how you move and ostensibly therefore an indication of your standup ability. Nothing at all about the stance being a pedagogical tool.
    Here's a vid of me going at it with some of our guys in Pittsburgh for those that asked to see me do what I do. Mind you, I'm not going at them hard and heavy, just letting them get a taste of what they WILL be able to do later.
    [edit: this certainly makes it sound like you advocate the sort of stance you use, don't blame us if you're inarticulate]

Dude, I posted this because I thought it was cool, and to show some of the other guys here a LITTLE of what I do so they could get an idea of how I move.

[edit: Not really informative:]
    You're still an infant in the martial world, and you haven't experienced the best yet, so until you have, find some Newb to go **** with because you're just an annoying little kid to me.

[edit: are we to infer that you have a 100-0 record?]

Hmm, and how long have you been training? When I see your fight record as 100-0, maybe I'll listen to a few things you have to say, until then, your should really keep your fingers off the keyboard regarding MY SKILLS and what and how I teach.

[edit: WTF? Can't you back up what you teach with reason? Why resort to posturing?]
    My PROOF is at the end of my foot, fist, knee, or elbow that's making contact, and those that have been hit with them will attest that it's not something they'd like to experience again.
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast