Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 2:09pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    It's a Judo thing. I'm not sure why they do it myself, never thought to ask my sempai about it when we're training Judo newaza.

Any of the experienced Judoka Bullies wanna tell us?
    That's what I thought he meant but I didn't want to comment until I was sure.

I do armbars like that. I also do armbars with both legs across. To be honest I prefer both legs across although I have no problems finishing with one leg bent if I end up in that position. I was wondering why he was specifically telling a new student not to use both legs across despite the fact that many many very high level grapplers do and teach armbars that way.
    Last edited by Meager; 6/08/2006 2:44pm at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my experience, foot positioning is determined by setup. as long as you're tight against his shoulder and your knees are squeezing hard, it's probably a good armbar.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both are fine and while you may not be a jerk you are a jackass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 2:45pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were put in a teaching role and let it get confrontational. It actually sounds like you may have egged the confrontation on instead of explaining why you felt your way was superior. Which I'm not sure that it is in every situation.

Yeah, he was bragging and talking stuff. You acting in an instructional position, should let it slide, save it for when you roll.

If someone doesn't want to learn your way, then why try to convert them. They will either get it or leave.

You don't truley know this individual's experience and you'd have looked kinda dumb if he had tapped you after arguing about it.

Avoid these types of situations.

I ask people who show me a "better" technique or correct my position to explain why the position is better. If you can't provide a logical reason, it always makes me wonder. I love getting new ideas and don't mind being corrected as I have tons to learn and most of us have bad habits that need breaking.

Again, I wasn't there. But obviously you aren't sure if your behavior was correct. Sounds like you are doubting yourself, which usually means you definitely could have handled the situation better and more appropriately. Learn from it and be better prepared for a similar situation next time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 3:29am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you handled it well, although I would agree with earlier posters in that I'm pretty cautious about putting myself in a vulnerable spot with someone I'm not familiar with, especially when they've shown that they've got an ego issue.

Still, your level of jerk-ness seemed minimal. Certainly not out of place for the situation.

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 10:09am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know what? I'm going to call bullshit on you.

You claim to be a judo brown belt. Yet over here you say that 50% of judo throws are worthless and mention as a case in point ko uchi gari. Ko uchi gari. This is like someone claiming to be an experienced boxer telling us that jabs are useless.

You did 8 months of BJJ in 1991 (before the UFC), you're a judo brown belt, and you're currently practicing judo, but you don't know that having two legs over the top (the more standard judo version of juji-gatame, and the version seen here and here on bjj.org) is perfectly viable, and you try to dissuade people from using it?

Forgive me, sir, but I have a fucking hard job believing in your supposed credentials.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 10:10am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    It's a Judo thing. I'm not sure why they do it myself, never thought to ask my sempai about it when we're training Judo newaza.

Any of the experienced Judoka Bullies wanna tell us?
    My sensei told us it had to do with preventing possible escapes. I can't for the life of me remember which ones right now, but I think having both legs on top prevents the guy from rolling backward out of the armbar and a leg only over the throat prevents him sitting up to get out of it.

But that may not be right.
    --
    L.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/09/2006 11:19am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Y'know what? I'm going to call bullshit on you.

You claim to be a judo brown belt. Yet over here you say that 50% of judo throws are worthless and mention as a case in point ko uchi gari. Ko uchi gari. This is like someone claiming to be an experienced boxer telling us that jabs are useless.

You did 8 months of BJJ in 1991 (before the UFC), you're a judo brown belt, and you're currently practicing judo, but you don't know that having two legs over the top (the more standard judo version of juji-gatame, and the version seen here and here on bjj.org) is perfectly viable, and you try to dissuade people from using it?

Forgive me, sir, but I have a fucking hard job believing in your supposed credentials.
    Uh oh, sophist only wrote 2 small paragraphs. You pissed sophist off.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 5:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kipdynamite.

If what you are telling us is true then I would say you handled things just fine. You where giving someone good advice and coaching them on how to avoid getting submitted. I think he was the one who acted like a jerk when he said you are only a green belt.

You where showing someone a better way of doing things. When someone more experianced than me offers good advice, I shut up and listen. Thats how we learn. Instead of doing that he wanted to protect his pride. Forget about it.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    6/10/2006 8:01am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do I get one of those tags like he has under his screen name/avatar?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast