222229 Bullies, 4451 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 98
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Seraphim is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NE Alabama
    Posts
    654

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 9:50am


     Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole idea is lame though.

    'You beat my ass. But yeah...WE still won. Bitch'
  2. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:00am

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    What douchebags :eusa_doh:
  3. theraydiator is offline
    theraydiator's Avatar

    Lightweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:11am

    supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    While Matt was not using GJJ 100% of the time since Royce was being stupid and trying to do stand up with Matt. He did use GJJ on Royce. Royce also doesn't know how to train right anymore. He so did not train escapes and defences correctly. When he tried to punch Matt, Matt ducked under and went for the takedown (if I remember correctly). Then Royce basicly gave up side mount. It went on from there and Matt ended up on Royce's back pinned. There is a escape from that position that you can preform, while protecting your head from getting punched in at the same time. This is what my instructor told me, who was told by Relson, Royce's older brother. I also learned this escape. haha. :P

    You just don't want to give Hughes any credit though, do you?

    I mean, there's *always* an escape, right? It's just a matter of applying it against your opponent.

    I think you are underestimating both Hughes' takedown skills and his degree of control from dominant positions.

    -Jordan
    -Jordan
  4. daGorilla is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA area
    Posts
    1,043

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:55am


     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdynamite
    That is the strategy of most grappling arts. This is nothing new! You are just atypical Graciecentric BJJr. After hearing Rorion do the voice over of the video in which his brother Rickson pimp slaps someone on the beach to get a fight going then Rorion has the audacity to call it self defense I am less than impressed with the whole clan. Certainly, they are good fighters and BJJ is effective, but it is not the ultimate universal truth in fighting.:sniperdan
    I seem to recall hearing/reading a variety of gracie stories that sounded like little more than schoolyard excuses for getting into fights.

    I guess it's just cultural -- all that trumped up chest-beating macho bullshit that must still soak Brazil's beaches (and beeeeches).

    -dagorilla :)
  5. eviechu is offline
    eviechu's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Antonio,TX
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:58am


     Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    You just don't want to give Hughes any credit though, do you?

    I mean, there's *always* an escape, right? It's just a matter of applying it against your opponent.

    I think you are underestimating both Hughes' takedown skills and his degree of control from dominant positions.

    -Jordan
    Ok you need to learn how to fucking read better. Or. I need to fucking articulate myself better. I am fucking saying that Hughs USED GJJ in his fight. He ALSO used his other techniques as well. Did you actually watch the fucking fight Jordan? I am giving Hughs the credit, that is obvious. BUT. I was also fucking saying that Royce did not train as well as he could have for the fight. Even given that he was able to escape being pinned down by Hughs. Hughs would still have won I think. So, Mr. Jordan, all in all... all I was saying was thta Hughs used GJJ, but not 100% he also used his standup and etc skills. At the same time, Royce wasn't at his best game because I said he didn't train right. Hughs did. So I guess I am pretty much giving Hughs credit there for doing everything right in his game, including using GJJ or BJJ if you are going to be asinine.
  6. Meager is offline
    Meager's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    979

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:50am


     Style: BJJ & MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jzs
    "9 No kicks or knees to the head or the face of an opponent who falls face down."
    Which basically means, "don't soccer kick or knee a knocked out opponent." If you actually watched Pride instead of just talking **** about it you'd know that kneeing, kicking and stomping the head of an opponent on his back, knees, or all fours is perfectly legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    I forgot about Pride. Shows you how willing they are to uphold the rules when they let Bob Sapp fight.
    What the hell are you talking about? Bob Sapp is against the rules?
  7. theraydiator is offline
    theraydiator's Avatar

    Lightweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:00pm

    supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    Ok you need to learn how to fucking read better. Or. I need to fucking articulate myself better. I am fucking saying that Hughs USED GJJ in his fight. He ALSO used his other techniques as well. Did you actually watch the fucking fight Jordan? I am giving Hughs the credit, that is obvious. BUT. I was also fucking saying that Royce did not train as well as he could have for the fight. Even given that he was able to escape being pinned down by Hughs. Hughs would still have won I think. So, Mr. Jordan, all in all... all I was saying was thta Hughs used GJJ, but not 100% he also used his standup and etc skills. At the same time, Royce wasn't at his best game because I said he didn't train right. Hughs did. So I guess I am pretty much giving Hughs credit there for doing everything right in his game, including using GJJ or BJJ if you are going to be asinine.

    meh - we agree.

    I thought you were saying something to the effect of: "If only Royce had trained X-and-Y escape he would have been fine."

    I was replying: Royce obviously knows escapes, but he couldn't effectively use them b/c Hughes' skill from the top is formidable.




    Pottymouth.:director:

    -Jordan

    edit:: "Jordan" is fine - I'm 22 - "Mr." seems unnecessary
    Last edited by theraydiator; 6/15/2006 12:06pm at .
    -Jordan
  8. eviechu is offline
    eviechu's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Antonio,TX
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    6/15/2006 3:54pm


     Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    meh - we agree.

    I thought you were saying something to the effect of: "If only Royce had trained X-and-Y escape he would have been fine."

    I was replying: Royce obviously knows escapes, but he couldn't effectively use them b/c Hughes' skill from the top is formidable.




    Pottymouth.:director:

    -Jordan

    edit:: "Jordan" is fine - I'm 22 - "Mr." seems unnecessary
    Ok ok. sorry for the potty mouth. Not been a good day for me. Well, Royce did not know the escape in the position he was in when they stoped the fight. It was all wrong. He didn't even try to block punches properly or try to reverse Huges by hooking the legs. o.0 At least this is what Relson says.
  9. mrblackmagic is offline
    mrblackmagic's Avatar

    My pleasure.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    right behind you.
    Posts
    3,404

    Posted On:
    6/16/2006 7:59am

    Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simplified is better.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 6/16/2006 8:08am at .
  10. OZZ is offline
    OZZ's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,223

    Posted On:
    6/16/2006 8:17pm

    supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ deserves respect, there is no doubt about that. But the knowledge that a good ground game is essential to being a well rounded fighter is not something that the Gracies were the first to comprehend or exemplify. The Gracies were able to SHOWCASE the benefits of having a good ground game and the pitfalls of not being able to respond effectively to a takedown.
    I have seen some pretty bad ass street brawlers get their asses handed to them by varsity wrestlers just because they didn't know how to sprawl properly.
    I think the Gracies are to be commended for bringing the essential nature of ground fighting to the fore. As we know, many fights will end up on the ground and knowing what to do when you are down there is important.
    However, any BJJ practicioner who can't take a punch can be taken out easily by a man with striking power. In fact, a practicioner of ANY style still be knocked out if the right punch connects. Contrary to popular belief, one CAN knock someone out from their back. Don't think that just because you find yourself on top of somebody that the fight is over.
    It is too bad that the Gracies cannot be humble in defeat. Royce was flat out embarassed by Hughes and he looked out- classed big time.
    In my opinion striking is where it is at. But neglecting your ground game can be a fatal mistake.
    Well rounded is the key.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.