Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 1:02pm

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the Gracie site

"1993 the Rorion Gracie created the Ultimate Fighting Championship for one very simple reason-to answer the age old question, "Which martial art is most effective for a real street fight?""

How fighting with contracts, dozens of rules, in a controlled environment, with a referee, etc. etc. is a "street fight" is beyond illogic.

"On May 27, 2006, Royce Gracie would return to the UFC to face the current welterweight champion Matt Hughes. When the bell rang and the fight started, Matt and Royce got into a clinch and went to the ground. Matt was able to pass the guard (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) and establish the sidemount (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he was able to attempt a Kimura lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he transitioned into a straight arm lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu). Royce was able to untangle his arm and in an attempt to get to a better position, he went to his knees. At this point, Matt quickly spun to a backmount and with his hooks (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) in controlled Royce enough to be able to end the fight with an array of punches to the back of the head."

Replace all the "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" with "Judo" or most any other MA that has grappling techniques, and one could (illogically) say that Hughes was fighting for those MAs too. ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:40pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jzs
    How fighting with contracts, dozens of rules, in a controlled environment, with a referee, etc. etc. is a "street fight" is beyond illogic.
    And how someone thinks that Tai Chi, Aikido, Kung Fu, Karate, etc., are closer to a "street fight" than MMA is beyond stupidity.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 9:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    And how someone thinks that Tai Chi, Aikido, Kung Fu, Karate, etc., are closer to a "street fight" than MMA is beyond stupidity.
    Don't forget Dojo training>Ring fighting.

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 10:35pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JZS doesn't ever come even halfway as close to a real fight as you do in MMA sparring, but yet he feels he's being better prepared for one.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 3:10am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I bash on Royce and Rorion I will admit that the early UFC's that Royce won were pretty fucking hardcore comparitively speaking. Headbutts, groin shots, downward elbows, kicking while down, etc. It was about as close as anyone could get to a no rules streetfight.

Damn that **** was awesome. Royce heel kicking peoples groin from the backmount in between elbows to the base of the skull. My god, blood is rushing to my penis just thinking about the raw violence of the early UFC's.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 3:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the Pride site:

"3 No strikes (kicks, elbows, punching) to the back of the head (which includes the occipital region and the spine). The sides of the head and the area around the ears are not considered to be the back of the head."

"9 No kicks or knees to the head or the face of an opponent who falls face down."
    Wanderlei Silva

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 4:23am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    As much as I bash on Royce and Rorion I will admit that the early UFC's that Royce won were pretty fucking hardcore comparitively speaking. Headbutts, groin shots, downward elbows, kicking while down, etc. It was about as close as anyone could get to a no rules streetfight.

Damn that **** was awesome. Royce heel kicking peoples groin from the backmount in between elbows to the base of the skull. My god, blood is rushing to my penis just thinking about the raw violence of the early UFC's.
    Disgusting, but very true. Watching the first UFC was funny but it was cool. The two kickboxers who had no clue what to do when the other fell down. HEAD STOMP!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 6:14am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the Gracie site

"1993 the Rorion Gracie created the Ultimate Fighting Championship for one very simple reason-to answer the age old question, "Which martial art is most effective for a real street fight?""

"On May 27, 2006, Royce Gracie would return to the UFC to face the current welterweight champion Matt Hughes. When the bell rang and the fight started, Matt and Royce got into a clinch and went to the ground. Matt was able to pass the guard (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) and establish the sidemount (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he was able to attempt a Kimura lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he transitioned into a straight arm lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu). Royce was able to untangle his arm and in an attempt to get to a better position, he went to his knees. At this point, Matt quickly spun to a backmount and with his hooks (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) in controlled Royce enough to be able to end the fight with an array of punches to the back of the head."

Replace all the "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" with "Judo" or most any other MA that has grappling techniques, and one could (illogically) say that Hughes was fighting for those MAs too. ;)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 6:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot about Pride. Shows you how willing they are to uphold the rules when they let Bob Sapp fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 9:17am

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While Matt was not using GJJ 100% of the time since Royce was being stupid and trying to do stand up with Matt. He did use GJJ on Royce. Royce also doesn't know how to train right anymore. He so did not train escapes and defences correctly. When he tried to punch Matt, Matt ducked under and went for the takedown (if I remember correctly). Then Royce basicly gave up side mount. It went on from there and Matt ended up on Royce's back pinned. There is a escape from that position that you can preform, while protecting your head from getting punched in at the same time. This is what my instructor told me, who was told by Relson, Royce's older brother. I also learned this escape. haha. :P
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast